Joseph from California

308Allimax

Hey everyone very happy to be apart of this forum. I am part of a couple other forums and I understand to take certain things with grain of salt. With that said, I just purchased my first rifle. A R700 Varmint with a 26' barrel in .308. I'm very happy with it so far. I purchased it as a scope/rifle combo. Scope is a no namer and I've had a bit of trouble with it so far. I have a scope on the way, a vortex viper pst 6x24x50 MRAD FFP with a Ebr-2c reticle. My hopes are to push the .308 out to 1000, but mostly to shoot reliable groups at 500-800. People say shooting is a waste of time and money but honestly I really envy the guys that are trained in the military because I do believe it's a skill and an art form. I have a lot to learn but I'm willing to spend the time doing so.

Howdy, Joe ... and welcome to the forum.
I'm gonna predict that it won't take you long to start shopping for another stock. The R700 Varmint factory stock is fine but when you're wanting to shoot long range you will probably want to upgrade to something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Remington+700+Varmint&client=ubuntu&hs=rYd&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XQYGVfuMJsryoASimYLQCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1231&bih=927#imgdii=_&imgrc=IlGHRHKlsn9kzM%253A%3Bs0M9-LvYvCqISM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.ytimg.com%252Fvi%252FHg4xzZtFIVM%252Fhqdefault.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DHg4xzZtFIVM%3B480%3B360

Your .308 might be a bit heavy for varmints like ground squirrels or prairie dogs but for coyotes or badgers I think it's a very good choice. Not that you can't take the smaller varmints with the .308. It just seems to me to be a bit of overkill.

You will find the .308 will perform beautifully at 1K.
Are you anywhere near central CA? If so you have access to one of the finest 1K ranges in the country ....

Thanks for the reply, Im near arroyo grande, Ca Central Coast. Wheres this range? And Ive got access to squirrels and but I'm not sure I really want to waste 308 on them unless i'm really trying to shoot a tight group from a ways on a live target. I'm really itching to get after some hogs though, we have a plethora of them down here. Its just getting the right people to let you on their land.

Thanks,
Joe

I've done some hog hunting in the Paso Robles area but it's all private land, local guide required and expensive. Can't understand why ranchers complain about pigs tearing up their place and wanting somebody to come out and shoot them but refusing to let you hunt unless you pay a couple of hundred bucks. I can't afford both my Wyoming pronghorn trip and a pig hunt this year so I'll have to skip the hogs until I hear from Wyoming F&G about my app. for out of state hunt there.
Sorry; when you said central coast I was thinking San Jose region. Our range (Sacramento Valley) is about four hours north of you and, unless you want to spend a few days up here to visit a range, probably not a practical trip. It is a beauty though.

I make the drive often for work but planning for a play day or two...

I'm up for it though I don't understand the membership/daily use structure.

I figure to let them keep complaining and talking about the weather like they always do. I know of a guy who has a 30+ herd but he picks them off only when he throws a party and they want to roast one. Jealous.

As for the drive, practicality is a good reason not to make that trip hastily. In the future though when I have a far better chance of hitting out to 1000 I'd love to make that a "vacation" and visit the surrounding areas. With all flat land in the valley, im surprised there arent more "long ranges"

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.