John Burns-Best of the West- equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been monitoring this forum for a bit, and see that John Burns, I assume from the Best of the West show, has posted here before. I did purchase the Beyond Belief DVD and do recall hearing that a second, more instructional type DVD is forthcoming.

I am too impatient and am inquiring as to what type of set ups he or the crew use?

Specifically the scope turrets.

Seems quite simple to just crank up to 450 and be done with it rather than checking charts and counting clicks. Can someone tell me who makes them and how to contact the company ???

Of course, also intersted in calibers and specs of rifles as well, but the turrets looked to be the most handy items I've seen.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Seems quite simple to just crank up to 450 and be done with it rather than checking charts and counting clicks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What happens when you change alt,or temp changes.Or Bar Pressure...It changes the flight path of the bullet.How do you get around that....This knob is set for 8000 feet above sea level at 20 degrees with 50 pecent humidity.Well now, I'm at 2000 feet the air temp is 45 and humidity is 70 pecent.I'm sorry but your "JUST SPIN IT TO 450"won't work any more.Sorry but I'll just stick to my click charts.

WOW It never fails which forum you visit, once someone looks at your total posts, it's on.

I'll not even elaborate what my point was, you just go on and keep looking at your charts, and doing what you're doing. I am sure you're the greatest. Adios

[ 11-15-2004: Message edited by: Jesse Jaymes ]

[ 11-15-2004: Message edited by: Jesse Jaymes ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>WOW It never fails which forum you visit, once someone looks at your total posts, it's on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I never even looked at your post total <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I'll not even elaborate what my point was, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your point was that you think that the calabrated knob is a simple way of running from one yardage to another. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>you just go on and keep looking at your charts, and doing what you're doing. I am sure you're the greatest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I will..Never said I was the greatest.But I've been doing this a long time.That spin it to 450 knob won't work in all conditions.And I gave you the reason.

Jesse Jaymes

Thanks for the interest in our show. These guys have given you the right place to get the Bullet drop compensator made.

The Long 1

On my rifle I shoot a 7mm 150 XBT @ 3450 fps. The G7 BC for that bullet is 0.245.

Lets use your first set of conditions (8000 ft, 20 deg temp, 50% humidity) and determine we will need to adjust the scope up 3.89 MOA from a 200 yds zero to our 450 yd zero.

In making a BDC we would put the 450 yd hash mark at 4 minutes.

When we run the numbers for your second set of conditions (2000 ft, 45 degs, 70% humidity) we get 4.10 MOA up to zero at 450 from our 200 yd zero.

I am failing to see any significant difference??

Both conditions require an adjustment of the scope of 4 MOA.

"JUST SPIN IT TO 450" will work very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>"JUST SPIN IT TO 450" will work very well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What happens at 750,850 or 1150....?????..I'll tell you what happens...You start blowing legs off stuff.There is no way you can dispute the fact that changing conditions will also change the flight path of the bullet.If that spin it to 450 knob was made for one set of conditions,change conditions and just spin it 850 and see what happens....

John-

Great Show. You're on in 1/2 an hour, so I'll hurry.

I appreciate the confirmation of the source. It just looked to me like your set up was or is different. Looks like you have Mk 4 turrets and your come ups appear to be "in order" for lack of better description. By that, I mean your turret did not appear cluttered, but rather a "4" which appears to designate 400 yards, and additional 25 yards ticks just like a tape measure. The provided website seems similar, but not exact. Possibly because your scope/turrets are only marked to one full rotation worth of come ups ? The 13 y.o. on the DVD did not have to check stock charts and log books to engage the 680 shot on the tape. You just told him to dial up 700 and back off one or so. He didn't have to count 68 clicks and dick around.

I wasn't willing to explain my ideas of simply spining and shoot, but my intended questions would be scenarios of carrying with a 200 yard zero and adjust accordingly to 5-600 yards, which to me, would be extreme range for big game hunting with lots of practice, yada, yada, yada. Never intended to "simply spin" targets at 1000 yards.

Is an instuctional DVD in the works ?

Long 1,

I know exactly what happens at extended ranges and have it documented on video.

You choose to post an example that showed you don't know what really happens in the real world and were called on it. Now you want to change the example to try and prove your point instead of admitting you were wrong. Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

Jesse Jaymes came here looking for help and for some reason you felt the need to spout off in an area you have limited experience in. That is not what this board is about.

Jesse,

You're exactly right in your assessment.

Out to 600 yds there is not much difference in the needed corrections for atmospheric conditions, assuming you are not talking something really radical like hunting Marco Polo sheep @ 17,000 ft.

The instructional video is in production but with the hunting season we have to get footage for the show and that does not leave much time for anything else.

I am headed out for some late season trophy elk hunts as soon as I finish hear so wish me luck.

Again thanks for the interest in the show.

John,
I have only seen the ads for the video/DVD and the TV show. I have been interested in and pursuing long range shooting since I was a young boy. Your system really has my interest up. Great show. Keep up the good work. Johnny K.

Mr. Burns

I'm at about 200 feet elevation. Its often times 100 degrees here.

Certainly to dial in up in the mountains during hunting season I'll have to make some changes. IE I can't zero it here etc...

What do we do in that instance?

Thanks, Jeff

OBTW I always thought target knobs were pretty easy to read and read them, never just counted clicks. FWIW

John Burns,
Don't mind the ankle biters. They're bad this time of year.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I know exactly what happens at extended ranges and have it documented on video.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes I know....I've seen it...I guess if you have it on video,that make's you right.
rolleyes.gif
The facts are, and you even stated it in your last post.That knob will not work IN ALL CONDITIONS..Face it John,the longer the distance the worse it gets.I stated that as fact.You said I don't know anything about it.You have your own tv show,so people here that don't know any better think you are a god.So no matter what I say they will always believe you.Its a shame when someone can't speak the truth..

Status
Not open for further replies.