Joe Boyd, your response to your 6.5mm Allen Mag question...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Joe,

While my Allen Mags are designed around my Extreme Sporter rifles they work at least as well if not better in a heavy rifle. I just try not to advertise them in this platform to prevent anyone from getting the idea they are intented for high volume long range shooting.

My Extreme Varminters or Extreme Heavy rifles can be built using several different options. Let talk barrels first.

I recommend jumping up to a #8 Lilja or a HV straight taper Lilja for these rifles in a 30" finish length. With a barrel of this mass, fluting is really just a cosmetic option but still it is an option that is available.

I still recommend a Rem 700 receiver if a factory receiver is to by used. The Long Action is just as easy to convert to single shot as the short action is as I have inserts for the LA and SA to fill the mag well port in the receiver.

I actually recommend a single shot for its improved bedding areas but the repeaters also work well if the cusomer prefers this system.

I recommend a Rifles Basix trigger 1.5-3 lb model tuned to an even 2 lbs or whatever the customer is comfortable with. I do not recommend under 2 lbs on a field rifle and if the customer wants a 2.5 to 3 lb trigger I just use the factory trigger and tune it as such.

There are several stocks I will use for these rifles, the Holland Laminated Heavy Signature series, H-S Precision long range scopes and of course, several models from McMillan including the A-3 and A-5 models.

The Holland and McMillan stocks are pillar bedded and the H-S precision is skim bedded.

Rifle weight will run in the 13 to 17 lb range depending on barrel and stock used. Generally these rifles will hold well under 1/2 moa out to 500 yards.

I am also designing an Extreme Sporter V-Block system which will be more refined then my standard Extreme V-Block for use in rifles in the 10 to 15 lb range compared to 22 to 30 lb for the Extreme V-Block.

243282.jpg

This is a pic of one of my Extreme Varminter V-Blocks using a Holland Signature stock but with a 1.200" straight cylinder Lilja 30" barrel. I would not recommend a barrel this heavy using a traditional bedding system, even pillared.

Still this gives you an idea what it would look like housed in one of my Extreme Heavy rifles.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby thats a great looking rifle. How fast can you safely push the 159(?) wildcats to?

D-a,

I don't think Richard makes a 159?? He has a 156 gr in the 257 that I have pushed to 3350 fps pretty comfortably. With a B.C. of +.8 they shoot pretty well out to 1000 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

In the 6.5mm, I am just getting started doing the extensive range testing as we have been waiting on test barrels and bullets as well. Richard is going to build a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT for the 6.5mm so we will see how it performs. This is only a prototype as of yet so we will see if ti will actually fly. BC should be significantly higher then the 156 gr 257 ULD.

We are predicting 3200 fps with the 169.5 in the 6.5mm Allen Mag. May not quite reach that level but to be honest, with the BC that bullet will have, anything over 3000 fps will blow the doors off most anything else ballistically speaking anyway.

Should be building the test rifle for that round here in the next couple weeks.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, must have gottten confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . Keep up the good work, and keep us informed on how she works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.