Job hunt/relocating

johnnyk

Considering last move in this life. Currently live in North Carolina and work as a Scale Technician (calibration/repair, etc.,). Wife, free spirit that she is, would gladly go and live in a tent, wash in the creeks and eat critters. No house, job, nada. I, however, would rather be somewhat assured that I have some place to sleep and job to earn money for bills, groceries and seeing other parts of the state. So, as the head of the house, we'll do it the "cautious" way (if it's to be done).
Does anyone know of companies that do this type of work? What's the current job market like? JohnnyK.

I don't know anything about your line of work. But at the moment I am in the middle of preparing for a cross country move.( michigan to colorado). It is quite a bit of work.I am leaving one week from today, the wife is following later in the summer. What a process it has been to sell the stuff I am not going to take, to give away what didn't sell, to throw away what no one would take. My wife is less than eager to say the least. She is coming with the bulk of the furniture when she comes, I am leaving with the basics, guns reloading desk and equipment, backpack, flyrod. Good Luck with your endeavor.

I would suggest that you go online and look for "scale sales and repair" in your area of choice

also look in the yellow pages for the area you want to go. I live in N VA and it shows 7 of those type business in this area. 5 being sales and 2 being repair.

Also if you plan to move, little hint to save some money. All the moving companies hire the packers and movers at $1 per 100 lb. They are independant contractors (not employees) and you can call the moving company dispatch offices and get an extra 1-2 to help load you out for $10-12 and hour and they make more and you do not kill yourself. Same companies sell used boxes, tape and packing material cheap also vs buying it from the commercial places. Do the same thing on the other end to offload.

Busy weeks of the month for moving companies are the first and last week of the month, so plan accordingly. Lot of help will be looking for daily work.

BH

Man I don't envy you and chain. I just moved across town after 10 years in a house and that was about as painful as having your toenails pealed off.

As for job hunting; maybe try one of the on-line resume places like monster.com. I have heard a lot of people who have had NO responses, but I also know a couple of people who have found great jobs. Another idea is maybe contact one of the employment agencies in the area you want to move. You lose some of your first few months pay but they get paid more only if you get a better job.

Good luck!!!

In the construction industry, after you have been doing it for awhile, you have the benefit of headhunters calling you all the time. They find the work for you. The move just hit another snag, the people that are vacating the house aren't going to be out in time. She had her baby early and so nopw I am in limbo. I am just going to put the tent where I can get to it when I get to Colorado.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.