JLK and DTAC bullet questions

coloradoultramag

Hi guys
I am wondering how the 7mm 168 and 180 grain VLD shoot. I am thinking about building a stevens or savage 7wsm or 7mag to take advantage of there high BC. I just cant get over the 180g BC of .735:D.

Have you guys found their BC's to be accurate?

I would think the JLK180vld is impressive and unmatched from 700yards to 1200yards and beyond.

Where did you guys get your load data?

I am also interested on reports of anybody using 224cal JLK 80grain and 90g VLD?

Has anybody shot the 243cal 115grain (.585BC) Dtac bullets. I am thinking they would be a good some what cheap long distance bullet for a 243,243Ai, 6mm or 243wsm. There drop chart is impressive matching the 6.5x284 shooting berger Vld, sceners or match kings.

Have you guys gotten good groups and long range performance with the DTAC?

Where do you find load data for them?

Hows your barrel life been with these 243 calibers?

Thanks for the info any info even if you recomend a different bullet or caliber or whatever else.

Thanks Gabe

Gabe,
Regarding the 7mm 180's, the question's been asked a few times in the recent past. Here's a link to the prior discussion:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/jlk-vlds-41892/

Bottom line is that both bullets (Berger and JLK) are the same shape, same weight, so they have the same BC. In the case of the 7mm's, JLK's BC's are advertised as higher than actual (but still a fine bullet with a high BC).

On the other hand, JLK's 6.5mm 140 grain VLD has a surprisingly high BC, very close to advertised, which is higher than any other 140 grain class bullet in that caliber.

The BC for the .243 115 grain DTAC bullets is also over stated at .585 according to my tests of the unpointed bullets. I know that Tubbs has gone to pointing all the 115 DTAC's now, so it's possible that the new ones may be close to .585, but the old (unpointed) ones aren't. Again, a very good bullet for LR shooting, but the BC is advertised too high.

Your barrel will probably cook pretty quick if you push those 115's at high velocity. In general you can expect barrel life to improve as you move to a larger caliber for similar sized cases. Think .22-250 vs .308 Win.

Take care,
-Bryan

Have you guys gotten good groups and long range performance with the DTAC?

Where do you find load data for them?

Run the 6mm bn coated dtacs on the weekends out to 1k yds, .243 win. Started loads a grain less than what I was running my mild 95vld's at. Currently running 41gr of RL17 @ just under 3100fps. Know another guy that gets identical performance with 41.2 gr of H4350. At 1k, 82degrees/750ft, they drop 6.5mil or just over 22moa. Accuracy has been great, usually a ragged hole @100 and some clusters I can cover with my hand at 1000 (shooting prone w/bipod, not trying very hard). Initially they werent doing to great, but once I got the neck tension(.271 bushing giving me .0025 neck tension with lap brass, might switch to .270 at some point) and oal right, things got excellent.
Ran them in wildly varying/gusty crosswinds last weekend, range flags every which way but loose.......and I was very impressed.

Bryan thanks for the link I knew this topic had to been beat to death some where.

By the way berger has the best customer support that I know of.

Any body have DTAC stories good or bad?

RC2125 How long is your barrel?
Why did you go with coated bullets?

Thanks Gabe

26" barrel (.236 bore dia), .275 neck, loading rnds 2.840 oal..... .012 jump. They didn't like to be within .005 of the lands, either way, but shot about the same when more than .005 into the lands also......up to .025 into.

No reason for getting the coated ones...... Maybe slightly less pressure when pushing them closer to 3100fps? Cases show absolutely no signs of pressure, even in 90 degree temps. Nothing to base that decision on, but they do well, so I'll stick with'em. The tips on these dtacs (recent lot) aren't nearly as uniform/perfect, like the berger tips are.

Last edited:
Shooting a straight 243 win with a Hart 1&7 twist at 26 inches and vias brake.
I have tested the 10 and 115 hunting vlds and the dtacs. Been to 1000 yards with the dtacs and 105s so far. Using 4831sc with the 105 and h1000 with the dtacs. Settled on RL25 with the 115 vld, but have not taken it out to 1000 yet, next weekend. 105 needs 27.75 moa and the 11. 5 dtac needs 26 moa to 1000 from my gun. I like a three. Coal is 2.835".

Bryan thanks for the link I knew this topic had to been beat to death some where.

By the way berger has the best customer support that I know of.

Any body have DTAC stories good or bad?

RC2125 How long is your barrel?
Why did you go with coated bullets?

Thanks Gabe

I have had good and bad with the 115 DATC. The first box of 500 i had shoot awesome so i ordered 2 more boxes. The 2 new boxes did not shoot the same. They would shoot tiny groups at 100yards,but at 500 yards about 6 inch groups. I wasted 3 matches trying to figure out what i was doing wrong before i gave up on them. I went to the 105 hybrid and never looked back. I will never use them again.

finish-02-look-down.gif

Who keeps diggin up these old threads!?!?!?

Just because It's 2013, doesn't mean everyone has stopped using dtacs. I'm sorry that it took a year to get my rifle and test some loads. Old info is still good. I'll go to gun smithing school so I can build a rifle in a month or so. Then I may stay current on my posts. :D

Just because It's 2013, doesn't mean everyone has stopped using dtacs. I'm sorry that it took a year to get my rifle and test some loads. Old info is still good. I'll go to gun smithing school so I can build a rifle in a month or so. Then I may stay current on my posts. :D

Unless it's hijacked, stay on course to help the OP in a timely manner. No one is saying not to use the bullets. If you feel compelled to update us on the the JLK and DTAC bullets for all of us to use, by all means simply start a new thread. in doing so, you're not only current on your posts but also have ownership of the thread. :cool:lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.