Jim Borden rifles?

the jigger

Does anyone here know anything about Jim Borden and his rifles? I have just acquired one in 243 Improved 40*. It is a gorgeous piece and thus far shoots great.
I have found three loads having the same POI.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!

Top of the line!! You won't find a custom action that is built better, geometry and timing are perfect. The minor issues you'll find in other custom action you won't see in a Borden.

I own two rifles built by Jim Borden. Just like Bigngreen said, they really are top of the line. Both of my rifles are proven 1/4moa shooters, one is a 300 win mag the other is a 338 RUM. They are both scary accurate.

I also think Jim Borden is among the best gunsmiths out there. He was a mechanical engineer for a long time before he quit to run his gun business. I am an aerospace engineer and have had some great conversations with Jim. Along with just being a really nice guy, he is brilliant and applies all of his knowledge to building rifles. It's not by chance that both of my rifles shoot 1/4 moa.

Jim built my 6.5 SHERMAN and I just put together a 300 WIN MAG on one of his actions. Both guns shoot very good. And as stated earlier; he is a great guy to deal with. Always answered my emails or phone calls.

I considered buying one of his actions. I didn't because they had Sako extractors.

Your loss.
Nothing wrong with a Sako extractor or a Borden action.

I don't think I lost anything. I bought a BAT action. I think they are a good action and you can get them with a good extractor. I don't want a Sako extractor regardless of how good the action is.

I've never really paid much attention to extractors. Is there a general consensus on what is the best extractor?

I've never had a problem ejecting cases in either of my Borden actions.

I have a Borden action and it is top notch. Can't say I've ever heard anything negative about Sako extractors.

Some gunsmiths think a Sako extractor is an un-necessary safety risk. When the bolt is closed, the extractor is positioned in the bolt lug raceway. There is nothing between your face and the extractor. If you have a cartridge case failure, the extractor can be blown into the shooters face.

Some gunsmiths think a Sako extractor is an un-necessary safety risk. When the bolt is closed, the extractor is positioned in the bolt lug raceway. There is nothing between your face and the extractor. If you have a cartridge case failure, the extractor can be blown into the shooters face.

ouch. that's gonna leave a mark.

And how many times has that actually happened? :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.