Jewell triggers

leaddog

I know everyone likes these triggers. However I have a friend who took his off and sold it bcause he had problems with it when it got a little bit of dirt or dust in it. Is this a common problem, or did he just have a weird one?:rolleyes:

I know everyone likes these triggers. However I have a friend who took his off and sold it bcause he had problems with it when it got a little bit of dirt or dust in it. Is this a common problem, or did he just have a weird one?:rolleyes:

Have to keep them clean--use lighter fluid. I have 20 of them never had a problem.

We had a brand new rifle built with one and it failed after about 30 rounds. On one instance I was shooting a group and it would not release, I imediatly lifted the bolt handle and it fired upon bolt lift. Supposably, I got cleaning fluid in it while doing the barrel break in and that caused a problem. We sent it in and Jewell wanted $25 to repair it. They said it was dirty and failed from years of "Wear and Tear". When we informed them it was new, they sent us a new one right out no charge. Ironically, a freind had one fail a few weeks after that from dirt. It is my belief that the tiggers with a very light pull ( under 1 1/2#) have parts that rely on very close tolerances for them to move. Even the smallest amount of dust or cleaning solution in the wrong place can make them fail. I have since decided that on a rifle I hunt with I will stick with the triggers that do not go under 1 1/2 pounds. I believe they have a more reliable mechanism and I set them at 1 1/2 lb and all has been good.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

This pretty much summarizes actually what happened here. I think for they would be good every where but out in the field hunting. It would not be worth the risk of a failure when you had maybe the chance ina lifetime for a big bull.

For members that are ready to unload their Jewel triggers, I'm sure there will be no shortage of demand if advertised on this Forum. Touching off my first Jewell trigger made me feel as good as getting over the flu. Much better!

I will add that 8 of mine are the 2oz version and 4 have been blueprinted by Speedy. They are brutal and must be experienced to appreciate like a ball bearing it is that smooth.

Going to see Speedy next week to pick up his "Greenie" 6ppc competition rifle with a extra tube and his custom Loopy 36x scope and to build a 300 Jarrett (in one day and that is everything from chambering, fluting, building the brake, bedding, vents cut in the stock, beadblasting the spider web finish etc) and it will have a Jewell.... Oh --- will make the dies as well.

No this is not BS ----- one day----when you are good you can do this of course I will do some of the operations which is fun!!!!!!!!!! Love to watch the master work! For the non believers I will document with pictures lol.

A trigger is a precision piece of equipment and any good trigger will give you problems
if not kept clean especially a trigger with a very light pull.

The military triggers are two stage and have a trigger pull of 6+ pounds for just this
condition (Dirt and grime)to prevent a malfunction at the worst of times.

I am a big fan of Jewell triggers and of other well made brands but you have to keep them
clean if you want to set it light because one piece of grit under the sear and it will become
unpredictable.

There is a trick if you live in a dusty environment to minimize this.-- Take a piece of very soft
foam and cut a strip a little larger than the trigger guard slot and and only about 1/4' thick
and using a razor blade split the foam down the middle in the center about 1/2'' long and
slip it over the trigger and down in the slot . make sure that the foam is soft enough not
to interfere with the operation of the trigger.

There could have been a problem with the trigger even though it was a jewell , but if it was
dirty it is not the triggers fault.

J E CUSTOM

I have only messed with one Jewel and it had a problem of intermitant creep any time we tried to get it under 1 1/2 pounds. The new rifle I'm building I am running a Rifle Basix and it is very crisp and repeatable at 10 ounces.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.