Jewell Trigger Failure...went to Trigger

Here is one thread from accurate shooter. You need to login if you're a member] in order to see the pics. There are like other similar threads.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/jewel-trigger-problems.3912454/

For those of you that use Remington 700 actions as a base for a custom rifle I'd suggest keeping the factory trigger as a backup. For $80, Neil Jones will disassemble it and remove any burrs, etc. from critical parts and adjust it to your desired pull weight. Many likely will be just as happy with that as with triggers cost way more. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback from you guys. I spent a lot of $ on this trigger & it failed me,....i have 22cal rifles that have never been cleaned, I could confidently pull them out tomorrow morning & harvest a squirrel no questions/no doubt in my mind at all that rifle will fire, no lighter fluid required
I just lost a carrier bearing on my truck at 75000 miles that does not mean I wont buy that same brand truck again any thing can and will fail at some point not being an *** just saying good luck with the new trigger and stay safe

I just lost a carrier bearing on my truck at 75000 miles that does not mean I wont buy that same brand truck again any thing can and will fail at some point not being an *** just saying good luck with the new trigger and stay safe
It was probably a chevy or gmc wasn't it? 😂

I'm not going to search for it because you cant find it. Its out there either on this site or on accurateshooter.com. Without over travel the gun will move slightly after the trigger breaks. You cant stop pulling the trigger the exact same second it breaks and therefore your against the stop when it goes off. The amount of pressure applied to the stop dictates the movement of the gun. I just about bet no one can do that the same every single time. Over travel allows for this variance without the potential to move the gun. How many benchrest guys shoot Trigger Tech triggers? PRS isnt the highest level of accuracy in shooting sports and that is why I dont put a lot of stock in what their equipment list are.

i dont need the Jewell warranty. I have tons of Jewell triggers without issues.
Its because its hard to find homie. Sometimes reliability is just as important as accuracy. TT's are tough, reliable triggers that don't require a regular cleaning with lighter fluid to perform. I have tried about everything - I really like how the TT's feel.

They warranty their triggers - they will take care of that for you. One of the best companies I have worked with.
I've seen more than a couple go back to TT and returned with the same issues only to be told nothing they could do, great communication with the customers but not a serviceable product when there are issues, I've had two guys not feel right about selling the trigger so they ate the price of the TT and replaced with another that was functional.

I have been using Jewel triggers on all of my center fires every since they first came out and have never had any failures. Two rifles I hunted prairie dogs with have shot over 15K rounds each with several barrel changes but sears in the Jewels still look great. Exceptional high carbon steel is used in them. I have found that using Hornady Dry Lube keeps my trigger area cleaner than using any oil. I have also used teflon sprays in the past. Carburetor or Brake cleaner does a great job cleaning them before applying the dry lubricant.
Sounds like a case of over lubrication to me and I am surprised your smith couldn't get it to work. No rocket science is needed if your smith knows anything about trigger issues. You replaced it with a great trigger but I think the Jewel would have been a much cheaper fix.

you referenced an article that talks about problems with Jewell triggers.

the discussion you quoted was someone being told to "put up or shut up" about the myth that "all real shooters know TT triggers are less accurate".

Here is a comment from the "QUOTE"

"I'm not going to search for it because you cant find it. Its out there either on this site or on accurateshooter.com. "

I took it to mean that it was referring to an accurateshooter thread about breakage in Jewell triggers. In any event the quote has been removed.

Its because its hard to find homie. Sometimes reliability is just as important as accuracy. TT's are tough, reliable triggers that don't require a regular cleaning with lighter fluid to perform. I have tried about everything - I really like how the TT's feel.

it's a myth. there is no secret society of "real shooters" who universally agree that the lack of overtravel on a TT makes for poorer accuracy. If a thread was found to that effect on some chatroom out in internet land, I think you'd find the exact same person/couple people complaining about TT based on their personal opinions as you see on this thread. Many of us make the rounds on multiple sites. And using the unsubstantiated opinions of biased people in a chatroom is, like you said, fake news, and not factual documentation for anything.

Last edited:
Ive seen all sorts of trigger problems. Ive seen all sorts of rifles have light strikes. I make no assumptions as to what is to blame or what product has not lived up to its price point. Majority of the time the shooter is to blame.

Gun maintenece is a lot like hunting and reloading. Hundreds of people bellyaching about this product and that one instead of building up their own skillsets and habits to a point where success is imminent.
I agree with your points. And esp agree with "making no assumptions." And we all have to build our confidence based on real-world, first-hand experiences. These were mechanical failures that I personally witnessed - that said, never had a single flaw with 2 Geissele's and two Timneys - never had a failure w/stock Rem700 trigger either, but that didn't prevent me from "improving" it. You point taken.

Trigger I am having problems with is a Shilen trigger. I cannot adjust the sear engagement to an acceptable level. I'll replace it but probably with a 2-stage. I clean all my triggers with a pressurized solvent called Wellworth 'Shop Kleen'. I buy it by the case out of Buffalo NY. I then spray them with Rem dry lube. It has worked for me hunting in dusty conditions for years. I think I'll try a Huber Concepts 2-stage this time around.

You want to see a bad trigger, the Browning A-bolt trigger has to be the biggest dog ever made. I have seen quite a few of them fail on hunting trips.

I use Jewels on as many rifles as they will fit and have nothing but praise for them. I have other triggers on some of my rifles and they do fine, but none of them have the feel and crispness of the Jewell. Also I have never had any problems with them, But have had problems with the other brands in one way or another.

I take very good care of all of my triggers and generally don't have any problems except for fit on and function on some brands and once this is ironed out I normally have no more problems. The Jewell has always fit perfectly, and never failed to impress me. The closest any trigger ever came to the Jewell in my opinion was Canjar triggers.

Just My experiences with triggers of all types

J E CUSTOM
I have run a Canjar on a R700 for years with no problems. It is a shame I can't get one for my Sako. They are really fine triggers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.