Jewell Trigger Failure...went to Trigger

I appreciate the feedback from you guys. I spent a lot of $ on this trigger & it failed me,....i have 22cal rifles that have never been cleaned, I could confidently pull them out tomorrow morning & harvest a squirrel no questions/no doubt in my mind at all that rifle will fire, no lighter fluid required

I have 2 AR's with Timneys, a 338LM with a Rifle Basix, a 300wby in rem700 with a modified trigger from 1984 & a 260rem that now has a TT. I'm just curious if guys are having similar failures that I have experienced...,I'm not a TT follower just strictly gathering intel from this Crew

There is a lot of fad buying in all competitions. If someone wins with a product others buy it thinking it will make them win. This happens in so many different competitions outside of shooting sports it's silly. PRS isn't the only competition requiring light pull weight triggers and following their fads doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread. I think it has been posted on here before but the benchrest guys have reported less accuracy with triggers that have no over travel like the Trigger Tech triggers. Due to the roller design of Trigger Tech triggers they can't have any over travel like most other triggers. I like how Trigger Tech triggers break but I don't like the lack of over travel and I don't like that none of the 4 Trigger Tech Specials I have would adjust below 1lb 4oz when they are advertised to go down to 1lb. If your going to advertise a pull weight range it needs to be able to at least make that range IMO.

I have 2 AR's with Timneys, a 338LM with a Rifle Basix, a 300wby in rem700 with a modified trigger from 1984 & a 260rem that now has a TT. I'm just curious if guys are having similar failures that I have experienced...,I'm not a TT follower just strictly gathering intel from this Crew

I do not have hands-on experience with Jewell triggers but I did consider them when I purchased my Timney CE. If there's anything negative about Jewell triggers, it's their 1-year warranty but that does not seem to deter people from buying them or if it hurt their sales. It's always nice to have good choices.

There is a lot of fad buying in all competitions. If someone wins with a product others buy it thinking it will make them win. This happens in so many different competitions outside of shooting sports it's silly. PRS isn't the only competition requiring light pull weight triggers and following their fads doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread. I think it has been posted on here before but the benchrest guys have reported less accuracy with triggers that have no over travel like the Trigger Tech triggers. Due to the roller design of Trigger Tech triggers they can't have any over travel like most other triggers. I like how Trigger Tech triggers break but I don't like the lack of over travel and I don't like that none of the 4 Trigger Tech Specials I have would adjust below 1lb 4oz when they are advertised to go down to 1lb. If your going to advertise a pull weight range it needs to be able to at least make that range IMO.
They warranty their triggers - they will take care of that for you. One of the best companies I have worked with.

I think it has been posted on here before but the benchrest guys have reported less accuracy with triggers that have no over travel like the Trigger Tech triggers
This sounds like fake news Mr MSNBC. Lol. I did a google search and couldnt find anything. Seems like a personal preference type of deal. Can you post where you read this?

This sounds like fake news Mr MSNBC. Lol. I did a google search and couldnt find anything. Seems like a personal preference type of deal. Can you post where you read this?

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I personally saw a Bix and Andy AND a Jewell fail on the firing line at a PRS match in February. The B/A failed completely and had been installed just before the match - we were on the fourth stage. It was replaced and shooter was able to continue. The Jewell was light-striking here and there for a couple stages - which the shooter first thought may be his reloads (bad primers). Finally the trigger failed to ignite any round and he forfeited a stage. No replacement was available, so he borrowed another rifle.

Ive seen all sorts of trigger problems. Ive seen all sorts of rifles have light strikes. I make no assumptions as to what is to blame or what product has not lived up to its price point. Majority of the time the shooter is to blame.

Gun maintenece is a lot like hunting and reloading. Hundreds of people bellyaching about this product and that one instead of building up their own skillsets and habits to a point where success is imminent.

Just a comment.

Everything is subject to failure no matter how well it is made. after many years of fixing problems on peoples firearms, Most have been neglect or tampering. Very few were true failures. This was not only with triggers but other things that a little care and maintenance could have prevented.

I have friends that have learned from this and others that have not and keep having problems due to their philosophy on care and maintenance.

I read that One trigger needs this and another needs nothing. In truth, they all need the same care because of their function in a rifle system, Different triggers have different feel and needs to the shooter and what is important is what he likes not what I like.

If something does break I don,t immediately trash the maker I like to give everything another chance to prove it was a fluke or my fault. If it does it again then that becomes a problem that is easy to solve buy not buying any more.

Being a Smith, I build and work on many weapons and learn the reason for many failures and most of the time it is the owners fault.

J E CUSTOM

I'm not going to search for it because you cant find it. Its out there either on this site or on accurateshooter.com. Without over travel the gun will move slightly after the trigger breaks. You cant stop pulling the trigger the exact same second it breaks and therefore your against the stop when it goes off. The amount of pressure applied to the stop dictates the movement of the gun. I just about bet no one can do that the same every single time. Over travel allows for this variance without the potential to move the gun. How many benchrest guys shoot Trigger Tech triggers? PRS isnt the highest level of accuracy in shooting sports and that is why I dont put a lot of stock in what their equipment list are.

i dont need the Jewell warranty. I have tons of Jewell triggers without issues.

Everything is subject to failure no matter how well it is made.

Aye Sir, that is why I responded as such ...

Murphy does not discriminate, he's quite the equal opportunity feller! 😇

Being a Smith, I build and work on many weapons and learn the reason for many failures and most of the time it is the owners fault.
Majority of the time the shooter is to blame.

Sad but true.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.