Jewell Trigger Failure...went to Trigger

Few years ago finished a 260rem build on a rem700sa. I was on a budget but cut no corners. Used google & my circle of friends to gather intel on the best trigger to go with. Obviously picked the Jewell & was happy. Super crisp & zero creep. Trigger group failed 2months ago at 800yd range, I would simply switch to fire & "click " firing pin would engage. It wouldn't engage primer & discharge the round but it clearly failed numerous times. I took it to my Smith & he couldn't see anything obvious when we disassembled. He talked me into a TriggerTech after acknowledging Jewell failure.....I then learned Jewell Trigger only offers a 1yr warranty on their assemblies, was -----! They're made in the USA!....???? My 260rem is rocking the TriggerTech nicely......

Have any of you guys experienced similar issues with the "famed" Jewell Trigger?
the only failures I have seen with a jewell is when someone gets cleaning solvent in them they will gum up I have never had this problem but have seen it on others rifles I flush the trigger with lighter fluid once a season as per jewell reccommendations

What can you guys tell me about this "research" from Mark Gordon? My guess this is a Jewell trigger?

The failed Jewell on my rifle was visibly clean when we removed the stock. My smith cleaned it with lighter fluid & trigger was still malfunctioning. Rather than send it back for repairs I personally would never trust it again & didn't want to wait for that process. The guys at RedHawkRifles sent my TT in 3 days & my 260rem was back to normal
This exactly!

I think full disclosure should be required here. I would not want some conflict of interest to be present.

I own several jewell triggers. Failures are rare. I have seen failures caused by dirty triggers and blown primers.
In most cases flooding the trigger with lighter fluid fixes it.

The service Jewell provides can't be beat. I lost a pin, they shipped me a new one without charge.

I do have any affiliation with any trigger manufacture.

From other message boards, a blown primer will cause breakage issues with some parts in the Jewells. That being said, I've had no issues with any Jewells I have. Also Rem factory triggers tuned by Neil Jones work pretty dang good too.

I honestly like the Jewell a little better but they're 1yr warranty for a made in USA trigger kind of soured me. Even if I payed them to fix it I would never be able to trust it again. I haven't shot my 260rem much since the TT was installed but it feels really nice.

If your TT fails and gets repaired will you distrust that one too?

Depending upon repair rate it might be better if Jewell sent out a replacement and offered the repaired ones on their website as remanufactured.

What can you guys tell me about this "research" from Mark Gordon? My guess this is a Jewell trigger?

Its probably legitimate. Top tier benchrest shooters have claimed for years now that the jewels ignition is not as consistent as the bix and andy. How this translates over to results on target, who knows. I know the guys that have tested it, the jewel's deviations in firing pin force were tiny. Very small, but the B&A was better every time.

I wouldnt assume the mfg of the trigger in the video is a jewel or any other mfg. I can tell you there are quite a few out there much worse than the jewel. Pretty much any trigger based off the Rem 700 design. Which is more than likely what type of trigger is dragging on the cocking piece in the video.

Ive blown 2 primers in a Jewell equipped rifle. Nothing is broken, I dont think. It still shoots. How do they typically break in that situation?

Sometimes when you blank a primer. The escaping blast blows the firing pin backwards onto the top sear and impacts upon a few different parts in the jewel that arent designed for that and can break.

It doesnt always happen but it has happen many times before. More common with guys running high pressures and small firing pins.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.