Jewel vs Triggertech

I was looking at Bix'N Andy and Jewell for my 40XB .22 rimfire, ended up going with the Jewell. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on it.

I have a Big Horn Origin L/A on the way.....looking for a trigger.

Im looking for a trigger that adjusts safely from 0.5lb - 2.25 lbs. This is kind of a wish range. I think I would like 4-8 oz when shooting off the bench and about 1.75-2.25lb in the field. The point of this post is that there is more to a trigger than weight.

Weight is important, but I need the safety to be absolutely reliable. I also want a nice crisp short pull with very good resistance to jarring off. I get that super light triggers maybe more sensitive and that is ok as long as it is hunting safe at 1.5lb.

I have used Triggertech, Timney, Geisslle and Jard in the past. Timney for my Win 70 is so far my favorite overall.

I'm basically down to:

I haven't really considered a 2 stage yet...

Any thoughts on this...I'm leaning towards Jewel as their reputation is quite good.

Im looking for a trigger that adjusts safely from 0.5lb - 2.25 lbs. This is kind of a wish range. I think I would like 4-8 oz when shooting off the bench and about 1.75-2.25lb in the field. The point of this post is that there is more to a trigger than weight.

Weight is important, but I need the safety to be absolutely reliable. I also want a nice crisp short pull with very good resistance to jarring off. I get that super light triggers maybe more sensitive and that is ok as long as it is hunting safe at 1.5lb.

I have used Triggertech, Timney, Geisslle and Jard in the past. Timney for my Win 70 is so far my favorite overall.

I'm basically down to:

Any thoughts on this...I'm leaning towards Jewel as their reputation is quite good.
Not Jewel. Trigger Tech hands down. I've run Jewel (hated it and IMO have no buisiness on field guns) , Timney, and the Trigger Tech Diamond as well as the Trigger Tech Special. TT are amazing triggers. Reliable, crisp and easy to adjust. I ran the Diamond on the comp rifle and my daughters rifle has the special. I don't like hair triggers so typically won't set them for anything less than 1.5lbs or so. The Diamond allows you to adjust down to 4oz I believe , which is ridiculous, but it it's a beautiful trigger and you can adjust them without pulling the action out of the stock. It's just 1 Allen screw.

Grab the Trigger Tech Special and don't look back.

Last edited:
Not Jewel. Trigger Tech hands down. I've run Jewel (hated it and IMO have no buisiness on field guns) , Timney, and the Trigger Tech Diamond as well as the Trigger Tech Special. TT are amazing triggers. Reliable, crisp and easy to adjust. I ran the Diamond on the comp rifle and my daughters rifle has the special. I don't like hair triggers so typically won't set them for anything less than 1.5lbs or so. The Diamond allows you to adjust down to 4oz I believe , which is ridiculous, but it it's a beautiful trigger and you can adjust them without pulling the action out of the stock. It's just 1 Allen screw.

Grab the Trigger Tech Special and don't look back.
I've run Jewels on my rifles both guiding and hunting myself for more years than I can remember and never had a problem….and they Don't get any dirtier than DUSTY South Texas!

I've got a Jewel on a 6.5 Sherman, but then I have 4 TT's in the same next to it. I'm not sure that I necessarily think the TT is better than the Jewel, but I do like having a flat trigger shoe and ability to adjust the trigger without pulling the action out of the stock.

Since you're going with a Bighorn Origin, once you install the trigger, pay attention to how it changes the amount of "cock on close" when cycling the action. Zermatt will actually time the trigger to your action for free if you send it to them. I did this with my TL3 and TT combo and it's very smooth.

I think you'd be happy with either trigger!

Last edited:
So far as timing your trigger goes, maintain about .240" of firing pin fall if you want top accuracy. I have done the bighorns, you have to re cut the cocking can helix angle in the bolt to time them and get enough pin fall. Without doing that they ended up about .200". Your better off with cock on close than weak ignition, going bang does not mean shooting optimally.

Like most here I've got or had multiple Jewel, Timney 510s and Calvin elites, and TT specials. I prefer Jewel overall and have never had one fail but I still run a couple TT and calvins.

So far as timing your trigger goes, maintain about .240" of firing pin fall if you want top accuracy. I have done the bighorns, you have to re cut the cocking can helix angle in the bolt to time them and get enough pin fall. Without doing that they ended up about .200". Your better off with cock on close than weak ignition, going bang does not mean shooting optimally.
I've had more than one smith offer to time a bighorn for me by simple filing the cocking piece. It's a shame.

I'm basically down to:

I have not owned a trigger tech, but have felt a lot of them in factory Christensen rifles and have not been impressed. Granted, they were factory set and had not been adjusted. Trigger Tech also made in Canada, if that matters to you. My first aftermarket trigger was a Jewell HVR set at 1 lb and I was very happy with it. Since then, I have bought several Timney triggers and have also been very happy with those. It's tough to beat a Timney Elite Hunter for the 700 action for a 1.5-2lb trigger for the money retail $149.99. I also have the Timney HIT trigger which is excellent and locks up like a fine swiss clock.

I have not owned a trigger tech, but have felt a lot of them in factory Christensen rifles and have not been impressed. Granted, they were factory set and had not been adjusted. Trigger Tech also made in Canada, if that matters to you. My first aftermarket trigger was a Jewell HVR set at 1 lb and I was very happy with it. Since then, I have bought several Timney triggers and have also been very happy with those. It's tough to beat a Timney Elite Hunter for the 700 action for a 1.5-2lb trigger for the money retail $149.99. I also have the Timney HIT trigger which is excellent and locks up like a fine swiss clock.
+1 on the Timney Elite. Great trigger.

Bix n Andy is another good option