Jewel bolt, or not?

skinny5382

Has anyone had any experience with having a bolt jeweled? And what's the opinion on its effect on accuracy?
I'm finishing up a 222 project and the bolt (700 SA ) has some pitting and discoloration I would like to do something with.

When I Cerkote my rifle I did everthing except the bolt. The reason I Cerkote my rifle I wanted weatherproofing and a all weather rifle. I also like the look.

Jeweling a bolt has no effect on accuracy. All it does is put polished swirls in the metal making it look nice. However, those swirls also hold an even film of oil on the bolt which allows for smoother operation, so it does serve a purpose.

I love the way jeweled bolts look, almost all of my rifles have them.

Jeweling a bolt has no effect on accuracy. All it does is put polished swirls in the metal making it look nice. However, those swirls also hold an even film of oil on the bolt which allows for smoother operation, so it does serve a purpose.

I love the way jeweled bolts look, almost all of my rifles have them.

+1, Mud Nailed it!

However, those swirls also hold an even film of oil on the bolt which allows for smoother operation, so it does serve a purpose.

Unless your bolt shaft has a super tight fit (and doesn't ride on the locking lugs), holding a film of oil on this surface isn't going to make any difference in the smoothness of operation.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.