Jesse Jaymes here's your information

G

Jesse Jaymes here\'s your information

Well.... I seemed to have been squashed on the other thread ( which I feel is total BS! ) when all I was doing is trying to point out that things arn't always a simple as they appear...and that some people new to this may have been mislead...

You seem to be a bit new at this so I'll see if I can help ya a bit..

The BDC cams do work for specific instances... Like John mentioned.. for his "western" hunting... but out here things change more frequently than you would imagine. I have hunted in 28* to 74* all in the same day at different altitudes... so anyway you slice it you're gonna have to know your rifle/load charactersitics and shoot in all different weather conditions and take notes. Then take those notes and make charts. Then shoot often and pretty soon you will have to use your charts less and less.... just somthing you have to do if you want to do this right.

There are several option out there if you don't want to do much "clicking"

The Nightforce R2 ret. is excellent for "holdover" without clicking.. it has 2 moa hash marks on the verticle crossahir which is very easy to use and target aquisition and aiming is super fast.. I have used this system and it works quite well.

USO has a MOA type 1 AND 2 ret. which applies the same priciple. They also have an EREK knob that has 1/2 moa clicks (90 MOA verticle ) that I am using now that is more than effective and really fast as well. You don't ever make more than one revolution with the knob so you don't loose your count of rotations on the turret.

you can use mil-dots for the same thing but you will need to do some minor calculations.

Scope makers now are making several ret. like the above mentioned because "holdover" seems to becoming very popular...

this is good and bad....

It all comes down to knowing your rifle and your load for that rifle. I have sorta came up with a cost effective way to practice alot at unknown ranges, and you can practice alone and get results instantly.

OK you need a home depot, lowes, builders square store etc. a measuriing device, and a utility knife.

goto one of the above mentioned or similar places..

goto the drywall section and ask an associate where they keep the damaged pieces .. they will sell them at a very reduced price or somtimes just give them to you. Take these home and draw 12"X12" squares or 10"X10" or 15"X15" what ever size square you feel comfortable with... now cut them out with your utility knife... you can get pretty many out of 1 sheet of 4'X8' depending on your target size.

you now have targets with instant hit feed back... how you say?

well you first need to make a hanging device (oops I left this out ) I used some rebar bent at a 90* angle and coat hangers. but anything you can stick in the ground and hang a coat hanger off of will work as long as it is about 2-3" off the ground. I simply drilled two holes in the top of the squares. Then I used the coat hanger ( you can unravel them ) and then hang them from the device you stuck in the ground.

Now.. find a place where it is safe to shoot... and the ranges you want to shoot.. I go from about 400 - 800 yards....

I made 4 different target stands so I place 4 of them out. PLace them randomly from your farthest range and work back to your shooting position... make sure it is unknown and random .. this will help you shoot at ranges that are unknown. At first though you may want to start at known distances 200, 300, 400, 500 etc.

now go to you shooting postition and range the targets. find your dope make the scope adjustments and fire.... if you hit the target you will instantly see a white puff! INSTANT feed back...!!!
got to your next target and do the same thing etc. etc.
Now walk out to your targets and fine tune things.. you now know if you missed or hit but you will now know exactly where you hit.. you obviously aimed for the center of the target. But now you can see how far from center you were... and can make adjustments accordingly and most important record this data in your note book.
place an X over this hole and now you can shoot this target again. Proceed to the other targets and record that data as well...

Do this as often as you can, start to vary your unknown distancs and pretty soon you will be very proficient. It takes some effort but really works well... and you can do this alone which makes it nice if you don't have a shooting buddy...

Re: Jesse Jaymes here\'s your information

Ric, I don't know what happened on your previous thread and I'm not here to take sides, but I think you have a great idea. I'm going to Home Depot today and cut some squares for this weekend and at least give it a shot, not pun intended. I've always thought, we may not all agree from time to time, but there is always great info passed on which can be important to others. Thanks for sticking with it, otherwise I would not be benefiting from this.

Steve

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

Good advice.
You should also try it during varying temperatures. Head into the mountains in the Spring or Winter (snowmobile) when few folks are there and less game. Shoot a few at elevation and uphill and downhills. You can do most your practice in the enviroment Ric mentioned but going to the mountains in the off season can be a great learning experience.

Quiet hunter

Your thoughts on shooting in the mountains to verify data is great.

Only its a 13-20 hour drive depending or more.
frown.gif

Perfect practice makes perfect
Jeff

Practac,

I works wonderfully well.. sometime if very windy conditions and a bd recoiling rifle the puffs are hard to pick up but is has got to be really windy! But here in wyo that is 3 times a week!

I started with 16" squares and am not down to 10" squares ( 1 moa at 1000 yards )

also works really well with mil-dot learning because you know the size of the target!

QH,

I mentioned shooting in all conditions and logging data on the other thread.. just for got to mention it here...

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]

Ric, It acts as a reactive type target which gives the shooter quicker notification of a hit. I like it specifically for the Mil-Dot training. Cut specific sizes as you stated, range and fire. Gives you the ability to range find, check your c-ups/ downs and holdovers. I like it!! Thanks again!!

Steve

Ric

Went back and re-read all of the additional stuff from the other post. Probably a waste of time re-explaining my intentions. As to new at this "game", yes and no. I've dialed up a few head of game, but our ideas of long range must be quite different. Mine would depend on range access and practice time, and most certainly end at 600 yards.

You see I recently moved from my beloved New Mexico to a $ht hole here in NW Washington. All of my rifles have rusted and my range limitations are a 300 yard public, NRA, you don't ever go do forward of the firing line, ***. I am not willing to drive 3 hours through I-5 Seattle traffic to shoot a rifle. I formerly had two 1000 yard ranges within 40 minutes either direction, but chalk that up to poor life choices.

I still feel a BDC is the way to go for my application and still agree with John's last post. Our highest mountain in my area is 7,000 ft. I'll continue to hunt NM Mulies at around 6,000 ft. I would just have a BDC made for an overall average 6000 ft or so and have everything calibrated to 40 deg. I am trying to hunt out of state, ID, and OR and it seems as though those will be happy mediums. Doubt sheep will ever work out on a GS-11 salary.

I appreciate your dry wall suggestion and will use it some day when I am allowed to walk down and set up my own targets instead of paying .75 cents a piece.

I actually found an article by Dan Lilja on his site that was the most informative I've found so far about long range shooting and differing atmospheric conditions.

I'll listen to any other suggested read or instructional DVD's.

Well... re-read some of the posts and I think you'll agree learning your rifle would be more practical then a BDC.. but to each his own...

read through the archives here... you'll find the info. you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.