Jerry Teo's One Mile .223 Shooting Video

Now that was an enjoyable vid! The music helped it lots, even though I'm not a Bluegrass fan. Who would have thunk it, a .223 at a mile!!! Good going!!!

The hits arrive at these times on the vid:

1:13 1:45 2:03 for the first vid. The first hit is just to the right of the rock by its base, the second by the wind flag, the third right on top of the first. The rock is in the lower left corner of the field of view. The flag is actually just a stick as the flag was not moving at this location- the wind was definitely blowing as you can see from the dust.

The 1st hit of the second set arrives just as the title fades. You can hear me debating the hit with the cameraman.

2:32 2:47 3:02 3:18 3:32

The miss at 2:47 is pretty obvious as I caught some headwind and didn't compensate enough.

The other hits are on the face or top of the rock. They are center to right of center and you can see the puffs.

Hope this helps.

We had a lot of fun making the video. Was very surprised at how well digiscoping worked. Wished it was a bit clearer but we were limited by the mirage and camcorder. Still it worked and we have footage of the hits.

That face of that rock is approx 12" wide so hitting it 5 out of 6 times works for me.

Jerry

Last edited:
Stevens 200SA - nothing done to it accept smooth the bolt.
Rifle basix 2 trigger, Hi Score BR follower, Pac Nor SS Super match 7 twist 5R 28" long no taper 1" barrel. Choated Varminter stock, bedded, ballast added, widened forend.

80gr Amax, Varget, CCI 450, Win brass

Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical, Burris Sig rings w/inserts, B-Square once piece base shimmed.

Pics of rifle in the orig post on the homepage.

Don't remember how much windage I was putting in but expect around 6 to 8 mins then adjusting for the gusts.
Jerry

How much spin drift were you getting at that distance with the 80 gr vmax? Was it more than 3MOA? I just got back from Alaska and shot my 257 Wby out to 2300 yards in dead calm conditions and still had about 3.75 MOA of right spin drift.

Chase

Where I shoot, the conditions are rarely ever calm. I do not adjust for spin drift per se.

Remember that over vast terrain, wind conditions can vary an enormous amount especially if shooting over hills/mountains.

I have had to dial in 'opposite' wind compared to my nearby conditions because the winds further out (going the other way) had a stronger effect on my bullet impacts.

Also, at that range, your bullets are definitely going subsonic. ANY drift will be magnified requiring you to make large adjustments relative to closer in.

3mins of adj at that range is not alot. If you look at a ballistics chart, I bet 2mph will drift you more then that.

Jerry

Last edited:
How much spin drift were you getting at that distance with the 80 gr vmax? Was it more than 3MOA? I just got back from Alaska and shot my 257 Wby out to 2300 yards in dead calm conditions and still had about 3.75 MOA of right spin drift.

Chase
never heard a person shoot 2300 yards w/ a 257 wby. only a handful of cals I know will do that accurately 416 barrett, 408 chey, 50 bmg, 375 snip-tac, and 20mm vulcan.

never heard a person shoot 2300 yards w/ a 257 wby. only a handful of cals I know will do that accurately 416 barrett, 408 chey, 50 bmg, 375 snip-tac, and 20mm vulcan.

Say what you want. I did it and had 2 other witnesses. I have some pics I will put up soon. I had my Nightforce scope maxed and was holding over still. Bullet flight time was 4.3 seconds roughly. I was running the 115 Berger VLD @3455 fps. We were at about 12000 ft elevation where I took the shots.

The need for a big boomer to shoot LR is a misconception I wanted to debunk with this project.

As I mentioned in my full post, the key is will the bullet stay stable when it goes subsonic? If it does, you can use that bullet as far as you have elevation.

The 80gr Amax could also make the trip but the elevation required would make it mechanically silly.

I have shot my 6.5 mystic (260AI variant) to 2300yds with a 139gr Scenar. No issues with accuracy at all. I am waiting for some calm air to work my way out to 2600yds. Huge amount of elevation adjustment for every 100yds.

I know of shooters who have taken 6BR's to 1 mile so they can go much further. 105gr Bergers.

The accuracy at extreme range is greatly limited to the bullet and how well you dope the conditions.

Cannons are certainly not necessary.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.