JB Weld for bedding?

I've used JB weld quite a bit. It works great, but it is a bit more liquid than Devcon.

I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent.

+1 to this, and the Kiwi,

But I have some Devcon Steel Putty #10110 for my next build, highly recommended by many in my research.

1+ Devcon Steel Putty.

Devcon Steel putty is awesome stuff. It is very friendly to use too. It's consistency is like thick peanut butter or toothpaste. It stays where you put it and doesn't puddle. It mentions on the container that it is also machinable. The bedding jobs that I have done with it have come out awesome.

I have used JB Weld for several rifles and it does a great job. Many years later the actions still fit very tight into the bedded stock so shrinkage over time does not seem to be an issue and it remains very hard and slick.

That said..... I just tried Devcon on a couple of stocks recently and like it much better. The main reason is JB Weld is pretty thin and you have to do a lot of prep work to keep it from running all over the place. Devcon is much thicker and although it will squeeze out there is not as much of an issue of it running places you don't want it.

Like one post said, JB may be better for things like bedding scope rails where a very thin layer is needed, but for stocks I will be using Devcon from now on.

Devcon Steel putty actually disolves with standaerd cleaning solvents .

Not a good thing .....

Glenn

My friend Tim has bedded over 40 guns using JB Weld, no problems. He has been using it for approx 10 years.He has bedded over 15 of mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.