JB and Kroil...

desertcj

I tried this combo not too long ago for the first time on my factory barreled rifles and I was amazed. Maybe I wasn't using the right stuff before but I struggled and struggled to get clean patches until I discovered JB/Kroil. I've heard guys refer to JB negatively and abrasives in general negatively. I am thinking twice about using JB on my new Shilen barrel because of this. I have no reason to not like JB personally, in fact I like it a lot. So what's the deal? Has it fallen out of favor? Why? Did it hurt your barrel?

So, every cleaning would be over doing it? Every 50-100 rounds Is how often I usually clean. What is going to happen by over doing it?

Be sure you don't get the wrong JB paste.
Use the bore cleaning compound: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?pid=1160
Never use their 'polish' in a bore: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?pid=1161

It would take great efforts to hurt anything with JB bore cleaning compound. I think because it's affect to bore surface profile, more or less matches that of the best lapped barrels. And it does not hurt that of the best aftermarket barrels.

If it's your intent to improve the entire length of bore, consider a good fire-lapping like Tubb's FF, and his TMS for throat maintenance.

I'm not trying to improve anything really, it's just the fastest easiest way that I know of to get a bore squeaky clean.

Attachments

• 20170910_111817_1505078504583.jpg
    20170910_111817_1505078504583.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 301
I really don't go for perfectly clean. Your gun is going to copper back up in a few shots anyway so once I get most of the carbon out and there's not much blue on my patches I call it good.

OK. I've used Gunslick foam(which I was told was fantastic) and walked away thoroughly frustrated with the experience. JB takes a little scrubbing, but in 30 minutes, I know I'm going to have a CLEAN bore. I'm still open to trying other stuff so, Wipe out....I will try.

You won't be impressed with Wipe-Out after using JB's. Don't waste your time. Wipe-Out just Wipes out your wallet.

If I am switching bullets or powder, I usually clean my barrel with Butch's Bore Shine to get the majority of the powder fouling and copper out. Then use the JB's to remove the rest of it, so I can start a new load in a really clean barrel. If I'm shooting the same load however, I usually skip the JB's until the end of the season, when I put the rifle away for a while. I don't see any issue using it regularly though. Especially if your rifle coppers bad and shoots better with a good clean bore.

Seriously though Wipe-Our is a waste of time. You will be just as frustrated with it as Gunslick Foam.

Everybody has different methods, due to different shooting styles, and bullets. In my hunting rifles, I have gotten rather fond of the monolithic, spelled Copper bullets. Well, they seem to foul in a different way then the guiding metal jacketed bullets. When severely fouled, I like to finish with a regiment of in and Kroil. It tells me if I got most of it out, and the Kroil seems to season into the barrel metal, and makes it easier to clean in the long run. I start with bore tech, finish with Kroil and jb. And yeah, I agree, don't use the polish. JMHO

There's lots of different views when it comes to using an abrasive paste in a barrel. I'm not gonna take a side, pro or con.

I will state that I don't clean copper out of my barrels with JB, I have found BoreTech products do that quickly and completely.

I do use JB, but only on stubborn carbon rings in chamber neck and throat, plus any fire cracking in the first few inches of lands.

Anyone using it to clean copper,regularly, from the total length of the bore will sooner, or later, change the dimensions or concentricity. JMO Stroking it for 30 minutes? Well, it's your barrel and you can clean it any way you want.

Back from the range;
Light carbon -chemical(Butches BS), patch & nylon brush
Copper -chemical(Sweets), patch, soak, brush, patch
Sweets removal -hydrogen peroxide, super slow push w/patch
Any tight spots, carbon ring formations -Kroil/JB on patch around brush
Alcohol wash -patch
Dry pre-fouling -burnishing of dry Tungsten disulfide coated bore mop
Put gun in safe w/dry pre-fouled bore, ready for future use (including first shot).