Jarrett barrels?????

flopduster

Do any of you have any opinions on these barrells? are they as good as lilja, shilen, hart, ect..
Also their website www.jarrettrifles.com states that they get 7mmstw performance from the 284 jarrett with less powder as it is "more efficient", any ideas on this???

thanks again
smile.gif
confused.gif
smile.gif

I have never, ever heard of a Jarrett barrel winning a Benchrest match. Frankly, I've never even heard of anyone using one for that purpose. That should tell you something about this comparison.

As to the 284 Jarrett; I do not know what this cartridge is but do not doubt that someone could easily design a short/fat .284 cartridge that could produce 7STW velocities with less powder. Short/fat cartridges apparently are just better suited to efficient combustion, hence, the WSM family of cartridges.

VH

[ 10-27-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

The 284 jarrett is a 300 win mag necked down and blown out with a sharper shoulder, these are the case volumes and velocities they have posted on their site.
(Volume to base of neck)

7mm Remington Magnum 73.5 gr.
7mm Weatherby Magnum 78.0 gr.
284 Jarrett 85.5 gr.
7 STW 98.3 gr.

It's interesting to note where we are volume-wise, 12 grains greater than the Remington Magnum and 13 grains less than 7 STW.

140 gr. bullet -- 3450 to 3500 fps
150 gr. bullet -- 3350 to 3375 fps
160 gr. bullet -- 3250 to 3300 fps
http://www.jarrettrifles.com/cal_284_jarrett.htm

Any other opinions on jarrett barrels???

the .284 jarrett is a 300 win mag necked down to 7mm and blown out with a 35 degree shoulder. it will live up to all published velocities.i was working there when rick saum designed the cartridge.the only problem we encountered was setting the sizing die. as for the barrels i would put thier quality with any made,at least those made from 2000 to 2004. i'm sure the sizing issue has been resolved . dies should be available from redding.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.