J104 vs. J107

Mr Eberle told me the 107 was more adjustable in height and could be made to fit people better that are above 6-1" or shorter than 5-9".

i just received a 104 and can say i've never had a pack feel as comfortable.

Last edited:
I just got my j107 hunting kit and this thing looks awesome,cant wait for deer season to try it out.the xl belt is plenty big enough for a 44" waist and the chest strap has plenty of room after adjusting for a 56" chest. I have never owned a pack like this, if anyone has one of these and could give me any tips on how to adjust the internal stays to fit my back that would be great

I aswell just recieved my J107M in coyote brown which i wanted. I like the larger mouth over the J107H for the scabard with my bipod and attachements the 1000 corduro it should wear like steel and for 289.00 the price was right

I received my J107 today as well. It will take some time to figure out how to adjust it and get the gear organized! While at first glance the mouth of the scabbard seems a bit small for a large scope w/target turrets and bipod, I have not tried to fit one in it.

I wish that it had a short 1 or 2 page pamphlet on how to adjust it, and what all the pockets, pouches, etc., were designed for.

motrapper: If you get a chance, could you measure the mouth of your scabbard and post it? I'm curious to see what the difference between the two are.

Last edited:
Well guys, I'd not use the J104 for anything but a daypack capibale to haul meat. As far as a Backcountry pack on say a 5-9 day trip the J104 is horrible. The older J105's and the J107 are far superior for hauling a heavy load.

They really aren't compariable.

I wish that it had a short 1 or 2 page pamphlet on how to adjust it, and what all the pockets, pouches, etc., were designed for.
I David Long's Public Land Mulies, he gives a decent description of properly loading and adjusting backpacks. Pages 172-181 if you want to flip through it at the the book store without buying the book.

And on the packs, my wife and I (as well as most of the people I hunt with) have the J104 and are very pleased with it. Ebrelestock makes some very good equipment. And I take the bipod off when I put the rifle in the scabbard, I can't remember if it actually fits or not but it seemed like it would be a pain in the *** trying to get the rifle+bipod in and out, so if I need the bipod I just put it on when I need it.....otherwise I just lay the rifle across the pack.

Last edited:
I have a J104 and my rifle with bipod attached fits easily including my large Nightforce scope.

I have to say that even my x1a1 will accept my rifle with bipod attached. I will add though, that I am tall and have long arms, so I can reach back and guide the bipod into position while I slip the rifle in.

As far as j104 vs. j107 I would have to say that you should try them both on under weight. Everyone fits differently with a pack, and subtle differences can make or break whether or not you enjoy your new pack.

i had the 104 for 2 hunting seasons. packing weight, up to 100 lbs lead shot or an elk quarter with backstraps the 104 "pulled me over backwards" something terrible. never got it adjusted right for it to work for me. I bought a blacks creek alaskan. half a caribou, most of a deer, 2 elk front shoulders, that thing works for me like a dream. doesnt pull me backwards, but no good place for my rifle, biggest thing i miss,,,

I can't say that i have heard of the "black creeks alaskan", i'll have to check them out. Although I don't think i could live without the scabbard.
It may just be me, but I seem to wear my packs somewhat high, and tight. I seldom have a problem with them wanting to pull back at me, but sometimes, no matter what, to much is to much. No matter what pack is used.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.