J P Sauer MK V Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser Action

BigRifle

I'm researching putting a used Weatherby MK V J. P. Sauer Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser action so I can build a custom LR 257 weatherby Mag. I know barrels can be bushed and then recut to the new action just was curiuos if this is a cost effective method over buying a new fit for barrel???

I think starting with a new barrel opens up more possibilities to get what you want, and a greater chance to achieve the accuracy levels you have in mind. I have no idea what the cost difference might be. Too many great barrels being made out there right now for me to consider recycling.

Thanks HARPERC, I agree however, my goal is to produce an accurate custom from all used parts for under $500 and document the trial. I get burnt up at how everything is so over priced. I have walked into some deals lately with the idea that I won't go over the book value of a gun and I have'nt! What a waste of time that was. The usual words of "hard to find, rare, minty or I'm just asking average internet price from GA" or what ever internet gun brokerage they find.

I have converted a couple VZ24s to belted magnum, and one with a take off magnum barrel from a different action. I had to cut off the threads, cut new threads, cut shoulder, cut chamber, longer magazine box, open the bolt face, relief the extractor, and open the feed lips.

It is all straight forward, except the feed lips. Without R.A. Walsh's book, I would have never figured it out.

I got a 300WM Parker Hale barrel from Numrich for $35.
It was hand lapped inside, smooth as a Lilja!

I think im gonna do it unless i can find a Remington 700 magnum action for cheap. The complete except cleaning rod, ready to shoot VZ was 250 delivered. I can stript it and ebay the left overs to make back some $ and the barrel was 200-Brand new take off. Houge pillar bedded stock-about 150. Refinishing and smithing, just have to pay for materials.:D

Big Rifle, I don't think you can go that way. The Mauser tenon is 1.1" diameter x 12 tpi. Larger and coarser than the Wby 1.0625" x 16 tpi. You'd have to part off the Wby tenon and start over. Most Wby barrels don't have enough shank to allow that.

I haven't heard of anybody bushing a barrel tenon. I would not ever do that. Period!!!

I do understand about saving money by using available parts, but this combination sounds like poison to me.

Good luck, Tom

Unless you want to seat bullets way out, the VZ 24 can be an excellent action for .257 Wby Mag. Barrels are available for the Mauser, some pre-threaded and short (or long) chambered. E.R. Shaw comes to mind for a decent low-priced barrel. It won't be a Lilja, but some of them shoot very well, occasionally sub moa. Shaw will also barrel up and blue the assembly for a very reasonable price. If you can do the work yourself, it'll save a couple hundred dollars too.

Clark had an excellent solution too.

Stocks and triggers are available for the Mauser at good prices.

If you can justify it, get a good Mauser 'smith to barrel up a premium barrel for you. I've seen Mauser actioned custom rifles that could shoot 1/4 moa groups. I wouldn't expect that with anything except a well built rifle with a premium barrel, but every once in a while, we get lucky with a very modest investment.

I'd be interested to know how it comes out.

Good luck, Tom

Thanks for the info Tom.

I agree I think a new barrel is the way to go with the VZ. I have access to a lathe and all the tools to do it myself with help from a friend. I think I'm gonna start looking for a 280 AI barrel at a reasonable price. I'm gonna strip the VZ and sell everything off to help pay for the barrel. I happened across a new cast aluminum Parker Hale trigger guard that has a bog horn sheep on the floor plate.

The Sauer Barrel That I have is a Weatherby take off so its never been shot and I would like to do something with it. I was told the M700 LA MAG action is a 1.0625-16 thread making it a direct fit. If I can find a beat up used rifle that would give me everything I need and with some elbow grease and patients I would end up with a nice gun for not so much money.

The MK V barrel can be fitted to a Rem 700 action. The shoulder has to be set back, the thread should be picked up, with only a short seat left for the recoil lug, and the bolt nose recess has to be deepened approx .030". A Rem bolt with the factory extractor will work in the breech recess without modification. If the Rem bolt has a Sako or M-16 extractor, it should still work in the Wby recess, but may bind a little in the recess with a round under it.

Clocking the barrel in so that the barrel marking (and any sight base holes) end up in the right place is possible, but requires some extra time and care, and probably a reamer. If it doesn't matter where the markings and/or sight base holes end up, you probably won't need a reamer. You just set proper headspace by controlling the shoulder set-back.

Tom

Thanks again Tom, That's excellent information. I start looking for the action! gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.