Ivory-Billed Woodpecker!!

Yorkplates

The recent news about this, thought to be extinct, bird is really BIG MEDICINE, don't ya think? I pray that what they have spotted over the past few years is truly what they think it is!

As a boy when I would see one of the big pileated woodpeckers that are so common flying by, I would hope that it would turn out to be an ivory billed. A few years ago when they reported that one was heard in the Tupelo swamps I was really encouraged and hopeful.

Last week was earth week and I think this news is a note of optomism for the future. For a long time hunters financed wildlife management when no one else cared and I think recently we have unfortunately gotten into a dispute with others who care about animals and there seems to be not much middle ground and we don't get much credit for actually caring about animals.
You should keep your eyes open, there might be some near you or maybe in the swamps above Mobile.

The cache river is my playground for 35+years.every few years somebody claims a sighting.(there can be a lot of money in it for them)I've seen lots of good gods but no ivory bills(lots of folks in ark. call them good gods cause that 's what they say the first person that saw one of those florida imigrants said , "Good God!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Anyway it would be cool if they are here but I'll wait and see. Jim

FYI, I just read today that a bird team has gone to the Cache River bottoms and confirmed the sighting several times. So far, all they have managed to spot is the male birds. For what it worth, I grew up in Bald Knob Arkansas and remember many times my father going out to search for people lost in the swamps of the Cache River bottoms. My father was quit the woodsman (and a preacher). We would hunt in the bottoms and Dad always walked out way after dark. I killed the heaviest buck of my life in that bottom back in 74. He field dressed 176lbs but was only a small 10 point. Also caught lots of fish and shot lots of ducks in that bottom. Only problem was snakes and mosquitos and lots of them. We used to take the shotgun fishing just to fight off snakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.