I've got a question about a reamers.

antitactical

I am in the process of ordering a reamer from 4D reamer rentals. My problem is I've got a tight bores. 30cal barrel (.2977) I contacted them and they don't have a pilot bushing that will work with that bore. I am going to have to order a pilot bushing. That's no big deal but I am not sure if I am going to get a pt&g reamer or any of the other companies. Do the pilot bushings interchange between Clymer, PT&God, JGS etc... or does anyone know if 4D just uses one type. I've tried calling but it's hard to get them on the phone. I've used there reamershould before on a 20BR and it was a PT&God. Thanks for any help

I know Pt&G uses bushings that are interchangeable with those of Manson Precision. I would call elkridge reamer rentals before going with 4-d. Elkridge has lots of bushings to choose from and they only use PT&G tools so there is no confusion about fit.

Reamers are a very important part of the quality of a rifle and it's accuracy, so I don't recommend renting a reamer at all. for very little more you can buy a new reamer with the bushings you need
and have a good outcome.

If it a wildcat, I recommend that you keep it so you can re barrel in the future with the same reamer.

If it is a standard reamer sometimes the smith will half the cost and keep the reamer cutting the cost.

I would also recommend Manson or JGS If you buy the reamer.

The reamer is not the place to cut cost in my opinion and using a used reamer that you do not know how well it has been taken care of is a large risk.

J E CUSTOM

Reamers are a very important part of the quality of a rifle and it's accuracy, so I don't recommend renting a reamer at all. for very little more you can buy a new reamer with the bushings you need
and have a good outcome.

If it a wildcat, I recommend that you keep it so you can re barrel in the future with the same reamer.

If it is a standard reamer sometimes the smith will half the cost and keep the reamer cutting the cost.

The reamer is not the place to cut cost in my opinion and using a used reamer that you do not know how well it has been taken care of is a large risk.

J E CUSTOM

Yep....
My 'smith did the halvsies thing with me on my 7stw reamer from Manson.... Great chamber and good shooting stick...

and have a good outcome.

J E CUSTOM

+1! Dave Manson is rather busy these days. He gave me a 3-4 months expected delivery date for my reamer in Dec 2015. However, I got an email yesterday that it is being shipped, a week shy of 3 months. Excellent customer service and very responsive.

Ed

I am in the process of ordering a reamer from 4D reamer rentals. My problem is I've got a tight bores. 30cal barrel (.2977) I contacted them and they don't have a pilot bushing that will work with that bore. I am going to have to order a pilot bushing. That's no big deal but I am not sure if I am going to get a pt&g reamer or any of the other companies. Do the pilot bushings interchange between Clymer, PT&God, JGS etc... or does anyone know if 4D just uses one type. I've tried calling but it's hard to get them on the phone. I've used there reamershould before on a 20BR and it was a PT&God. Thanks for any help

Fred is always very busy, you might have to leave a message or two but he will call you back.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts