Its Officially Settled. New Rifle on its way

matt_3479

From my last posts you might have noticed i was debating on buying a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm. I currently own a Remington model 700 7mm rem mag and a Remington 742 30-06. My brothers birthday came up and he just turned 12 and as a late present i am giving him the 30-06 for many memories to come. I wanted another rifle to replace the 30-06 cause i dont like the 742 and was looking for a way to get rid of it and why not give it to someone that would use it.

I came across a wicked deal and after long debate i know i will regret it if i dont take it. A Brand new Browning A-Bolt with 21 round put through it, comes with a sling and scope rings and scope base for 500 dollars.

Now i know the 7mm and the 300 are close in comparison but my 7mm likes the lighter bullets so i will be shooting 150 for open field and be my go to deer rifle and antelope and the 300 will be shooting the heavier 180 for moose, black bear and caribou.

Will be receiving it on Sunday. My neighbor reloads and would be more then happy to reload for me.
Now i was wondering two different thing. Would anyone like to share load date for a 300 and 7mm and what bullets you use.

The 7mm like i said would be shooting a 150 grain for whitetail, mule and pronghorn. The 300 will be shooting 180 for moose, bear and caribou

Last edited:
matt,
I shoot the 150gn Ballistic Tip in my 7Mag and have not been disappointed yet. I was recently shooting 63.5gn of IMR4350 with a BR2 primer. This load is .5gn above listed max (Nosler #6) so work into it. Accuracy at 100yds was 1/4" and velocity averaged 3240FPS. This is the load I took the 300lb black bear with at 15 steps.
I ran out of IMR4350 and am now doing load development with IMR4831. Right now I'm at 64gns, velocity is averaging 3140FPS and Saturday's 5shot group was .4". This powder is promising. I have also have good velocity and accuracy from RL22. JohnnyK.

Great buy! For the critters you listed chasing with your .300, don't be afraid to look at the 200 grain Accubond and see how your new toy likes it. I don't reload, so I can't give you specific load data, but my buddy is working up loads for me on my .300 WSM right now and is getting great accuracy out of the 200 grain AB at 2920-2930 fps. I'd gladly give up the additional 100 fps or so the 180 AB would give you for the higher BC and "thump" of the 200. Get out past 300 yds and the 200 will shine!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.