It's good to have a 338 Lapua

Ludicrous

My new rifle:

DSC_5683_zps21d6e23b.jpg

Savage 111 Long Range Hunter with a Trijicon 5x20

Should make it to the zero range tomorrow finally. Doing the Lapua, Nosler, Norma and Hornady brass test. 10 rounds of each. 300 Berger OTM with CCI 250 and 90 grain of H1000. Have a few others loaded up and down from there but they will be guinea pig cases and not part of the brass test.

(please feel free to help me out with a 20 or 30 MOA mount part number and manufacture name...the one I had ordered was incorrect for the 111 LRH) Right now handicapped at 1200 yards or less due to the Trijicon crappy 30 moa total.

Good looking stick. Has very a straight forward in your face get the job done look to it. I like that look!!!

I mean no disrespect but why would you waste components and or ANY barrel life testing brass when Lapua brand brass is easily the best you can buy???

There are sooooooooooooo many shooters on this forum that can only wish Lapua made brass in their chamberings. I wouldn't waste a single second of time, money or effort testing different brands of brass when you have Lapua brass to use.

Just want to see for myself if the brass "issue" is for real or not. Very curious about the Hornady cases that have a terrible reputation. Barrel life is no issue for me with a $1000.00 rifle. Yes, when I hunt with it, I will have all Lapua cases. Or at least that's what I'm lead to believe is the right answer at this point. I'll know more in about 240 (or less) rounds downrange. (6 reloads) This is my large cal hunting rifle, I play at the range with an economical 308 and 223.

Just weighed it, 12.5 lbs on my scale and that's with 5 rounds in the mag too.

I have two .308's one is 17.8 pounds, and the other is 14.5. And a 223 that is 11.9. This thing seems like a featherweight.

Sweet!!! Savage is putting out some great rigs. 26 inch barrel and a 9 twist. Man you are set up to shoot anything from the 210 TTSX to the 300 Berger. I'd like to try that 225 Cutting Edge bullet with 0.64 BC that's gotten press here lately. But no beating the 300 Berger way out there.

I need one of these!!

There are sooooooooooooo many shooters on this forum that can only wish Lapua made brass in their chamberings. I wouldn't waste a single second of time, money or effort testing different brands of brass when you have Lapua brass to use.

I agree with this comment! Wish Lapua made 300 and 338 rum brass.

Love it! Zeroed it today. Really need a 30 moa mount for the scope with that Trijicon. It kicks a little but not bad at all. Annoyed everyone near me with the muzzle brake. Confirmed that Hornady brass does stick a little, not bad though, just had to give the bolt a little more lift to cam the cases out. No hitting or hammering needed. Need to work on load development, 90gr H1000 is not it. Didn't have time to shoot any more than my 40 rounds, had to run home and babysit a sick baby. Barrel gets smoking hot after 10 rounds. Might keep it to five or less at a time between cool downs. I shot the 308 with 208gr Amax's while the 111 cooled down. 40 gr of Win 748 was the ticket there. First time shooting the 208's out of the BA10. Like them a lot. Back to the range on Monday for the Lapua load development. Once I find the node I will load up my test batch of cases again for round 2.

Anyone have issues with powder residue after the muzzle blast covering your glasses and scope with the 338LM? I had to clean my glasses and scope after each couple rounds...

get the Ken Farrel 40 MOA base... my friend and I both put that base on our Savage 338LM's... mine is a 110BA, his is same rifle you have.

With the 40 MOA base, you won't be able to turn a full rev below your 100 yard zero (keeps you from "getting lost" on the turret).

I think that base is 116 bucks, but they really work well... 40 MOA will get you out past a mile, easily...

Dan

Nice rig. Im in the hunt for a 338. Also have you thought about the 300 grain accubond. Crazy bc. Of like .720 or something, thats the round I would like for hunting if it will shoot good jut a thought.

Just want to see for myself if the brass "issue" is for real or not. Very curious about the Hornady cases that have a terrible reputation. Barrel life is no issue for me with a $1000.00 rifle. Yes, when I hunt with it, I will have all Lapua cases. Or at least that's what I'm lead to believe is the right answer at this point. I'll know more in about 240 (or less) rounds downrange. (6 reloads) This is my large cal hunting rifle, I play at the range with an economical 308 and 223.

IMO, a grand is a grand. If you have 'extra' laying around send me some.....

I have that exact rifle btw. Not your dresser or mirror but the rifle.....:D

Just weighed it, 12.5 lbs on my scale and that's with 5 rounds in the mag too.

I have two .308's one is 17.8 pounds, and the other is 14.5. And a 223 that is 11.9. This thing seems like a featherweight.

You have a metal stock on the 308? My 308's are all less than 9 pounds, scoped. I have a 223 benchrest that's a bit over 10 pounds with all the hardware and bipod attached.

Don't understand the Ttijicon scope when there are so many much better options out there for much less money or equal money. Mr, I'd remove that scope and relegated it to one of those dresser drawers and install a real, long range optic. The Trijicon isn't. It is, an overpriced attempt.

You'll find that bolt removal will be an exercise in futility with the cheekpiece installed. The bolt becomes an interference fit with the cheek. I also shortened the threaded ends of the cheek securing bolts, they stick out through the tightening knobs too far. Can't expect everything from a thousand dollar gun......:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts