It's a whiskey tasting kinda of night ...

If you know the right people it's really doable. Even with travel expenses a ten day hunt in the RSA can run considerably less than a 3-5 day big game guided hunt in the US.
I know that! I really want to hunt the "small five" I love the challenge

I know that! I really want to hunt the "small five" I love the challenge
The "Tiny Ten" is one of the most challenging things a guy can set his sights on.

In some cases you're talking about "deer" and antelope the size of a Brittany Spaniel or miniature Greyhound.

A lot of those hunts are done primarily with very small caliber rifles like the .22 Hornet or .22wmr and shotguns.

I was fortunate to take five of the ten and almost felt bad about it because to me they looked more like baby goats than game.

They sure taste awfully good though

Why can't all threads be like this one?
Probably because we all have our shoes off, feet on the coffee table and a drink or two in hand. Kinda like "after the hunt" around the fire in Africa.😁

There is no right or wrong opinion here since everyone's taste is different so there's little to argue about.

Why can't all threads be like this one?
Well Done Reaction GIF

Ok. I've been following this thread for a while. What would you guys suggest? I don't like strong oaky burnt barrel taste. I'm fine with the usual stuff most can find. Turkey, chivas, crown (black). I like my dalwhinney, white label for scotch. And I also like Japanese whiskey. Lately I've been finding myself with a glass of screwball as a night cap. Just looking for something different.

Ok. I've been following this thread for a while. What would you guys suggest? I don't like strong oaky burnt barrel taste. I'm fine with the usual stuff most can find. Turkey, chivas, crown (black). I like my dalwhinney, white label for scotch. And I also like Japanese whiskey. Lately I've been finding myself with a glass of screwball as a night cap. Just looking for something different.
Honestly when done properly you should taste little oak and none of the char. The charcoal actually helps to remove contaminates.

Personally I like pure, uncomplicated flavors, not too peaty (tastes like mud to me) and not too woody either. If it has Glenn in the name I have yet to find one I don't like, the 12 and 20 year old or older vintages have time to cure and mature compared to the newer/younger versions.

In Tequila, white tequila tastes too much like every clear mixed with denatured alcohol to me, Gold has a smoother flavor. I'm not expert on how the different tequilas are formulated or the tricks of distilling and aging, but I know I like Gold Tequila and unfortunately those at the higher end of the price scale that are made for sipping instead of chugging or mixing with sugary things like Margarita Mix.

Blended whiskeys of all types seem to me to be made more for those who want a mixed drink vs those who want to sip pure, chilled whiskey or whiskey on the rocks for it's own flavor and that includes tequila.

No, I'm not the least bit cultured nor snobby but I learned a little about good Scotch and Tequila from people that put a whole lot more time and effort into understanding what makes a great whiskey vs something you buy for party mixers.

Honestly when done properly you should taste little oak and none of the char. The charcoal actually helps to remove contaminates.

Personally I like pure, uncomplicated flavors, not too peaty (tastes like mud to me) and not too woody either. If it has Glenn in the name I have yet to find one I don't like, the 12 and 20 year old or older vintages have time to cure and mature compared to the newer/younger versions.

In Tequila, white tequila tastes too much like every clear mixed with denatured alcohol to me, Gold has a smoother flavor. I'm not expert on how the different tequilas are formulated or the tricks of distilling and aging, but I know I like Gold Tequila and unfortunately those at the higher end of the price scale that are made for sipping instead of chugging or mixing with sugary things like Margarita Mix.

Blended whiskeys of all types seem to me to be made more for those who want a mixed drink vs those who want to sip pure, chilled whiskey or whiskey on the rocks for it's own flavor and that includes tequila.

No, I'm not the least bit cultured nor snobby but I learned a little about good Scotch and Tequila from people that put a whole lot more time and effort into understanding what makes a great whiskey vs something you buy for party mixers.
Thanks. Maybe I'm a bit less refined in some regards. No disrespect just me. I like patron silver. I drink my whiskey straight. Never liked it on the rocks. Screwball is chilled or "frozen" cause it's smoother that way. Otherwise it's Budweiser. Before I used to like chivas instead of the regal. But I think my tastes are changing. I used to like more of a bite and now I'm starting to like things less hot and more smooth. The last time I went to the liquor store I asked for a recommendation on whiskey and they told me Bernheim original. Brought it home and I just couldn't take it. Chivas royal salute does the same thing to me. I kept gaging on both so it sits for company to come over that would enjoy it.

Nothing like alcohol and guns to bring folks together. And the stories are the best part!

S

Thanks. Maybe I'm a bit less refined in some regards. No disrespect just me. I like patron silver. I drink my whiskey straight. Never liked it on the rocks. Screwball is chilled or "frozen" cause it's smoother that way. Otherwise it's Budweiser. Before I used to like chivas instead of the regal. But I think my tastes are changing. I used to like more of a bite and now I'm starting to like things less hot and more smooth. The last time I went to the liquor store I asked for a recommendation on whiskey and they told me Bernheim original. Brought it home and I just couldn't take it. Chivas royal salute does the same thing to me. I kept gaging on both so it sits for company to come over that would enjoy it.

Nothing like alcohol and guns to bring folks together. And the stories are the best part!

S
Refined? I'm an Former, Soldier, Cowboy, Construction Foreman, Truck driver, and 25 year Guide and Outfitter, I'm about a refined as 40 grit sandpaper.

I am fairly well educated and generally considered fairly smart as well though and hung out with a lot of guys that really were and always tried to learn from them.

I'd find something I liked and they'd tell me why I liked it.

I didn't really know what "good whiskey" was until I was about forty and didn't learn why until I was closer to 50. I just knew what I liked when I smelled and/or tasted it.

A friend actually owned a general store in a very rural county years ago. The sign red, Ammunition, Tobacco, Firearms, Groceries, and Fine meats.

Used to scare the hell out of the townies when they went by heading to Dallas.

I can't tell you how many great conversations I've had around the fire after a day's hunt enjoying good conversation and fine whiskey with my clients/friends. Some of the very best and most memorable years of my life.

Unfortunately most of them were at least 20 years older than myself and aren't around any more but man they sure taught me how to live.

S
Nothing to do with refinement, all to do with what is pleasing to your palate. That is MHO. So find what you enjoy