It has begun. 300 WSM XP700

You are always welcome to hop across the border and shoot all kinds of specialty pistols at distance, if you want šŸ˜Š
You probably shot the 6XC before it went out and then the 6 Creed as well when you worked on the bolt.
The 223 Rem HSP has accomplished all kinds of things for a number people, that are getting started at distance with a specialty pistol-Love that pistol!
We have taken it out just past 1350 yards on steel
The 6 Creed HSP is one of my loaner pistols for WYSHOT and has placed in the top 3 with factory ammo.
223 HSP

6XC HSP

Last edited:
You are always welcome to hop across the border and shoot all kinds of specialty pistols at distance, if you want šŸ˜Š
You probably shot the 6XC before it went out and then the 6 Creed as well when you worked on the bolt.
The 223 Rem HSP has accomplished all kinds of things for a number people, that are getting started at distance with a specialty pistol-Love that pistol!
We have taken it out just past 1350 yards on steel
The 6 Creed HSP is one of my loaner pistols for WYSHOT and has placed in the top 3 with factory ammo.
223 HSP

6XC HSP

That's great! I love shooting pistols. I hope some day we will reintroduce the HSP Varmint pistol. I'd love to come shoot at WYSHOT at some point. Looks like a blast! Is the 223 a fast twist? I think I have the qualification targets from the 6CM and 223 on the wall in the reloading room. They were both very accurate.

Aaron/rickiesrevenge has a 300 RUM, 330 Dakota, and 7mm Dakota in a center-grip XP-100.
I have a rear grip in a 300 RUM shooting 230 Berger's at 2825, Used to have center-grip 338 Lapua Improved (338 AX/Kirby's wildcat shooting 300's at just 2700 fps), center grip in 7mm SAUM, 280AI, 7mm Dakota, rear grip 7mm Rem mag Improved and 7mm LRM, and 7mm-300 PRC, center-grip 26 Nosler.
Recoil is not bad.
Factors are overall weight of the specialty pistol, chambering, bullet weight, and the quality of the muzzle brake.
The short mags work great in center-grip XP's.
Earl's is on a non-designated 700 SA, so he has a little more weight advantage, but I don't know what contour he is going with.
Sendaro
Aaron/rickiesrevenge has a 300 RUM, 330 Dakota, and 7mm Dakota in a center-grip XP-100.
I have a rear grip in a 300 RUM shooting 230 Berger's at 2825, Used to have center-grip 338 Lapua Improved (338 AX/Kirby's wildcat shooting 300's at just 2700 fps), center grip in 7mm SAUM, 280AI, 7mm Dakota, rear grip 7mm Rem mag Improved and 7mm LRM, and 7mm-300 PRC, center-grip 26 Nosler.
Recoil is not bad.
Factors are overall weight of the specialty pistol, chambering, bullet weight, and the quality of the muzzle brake.
The short mags work great in center-grip XP's.
Earl's is on a non-designated 700 SA, so he has a little more weight advantage, but I don't know what contour he is going with.
Sendero profile so it will have some heft to it.

That's great! I love shooting pistols. I hope some day we will reintroduce the HSP Varmint pistol. I'd love to come shoot at WYSHOT at some point. Looks like a blast! Is the 223 a fast twist? I think I have the qualification targets from the 6CM and 223 on the wall in the reloading room. They were both very accurate.
7T on the 223 Rem
Before I changed the stock out...It was a RH grip and I am lefty

The 6XC HSP with 107 SMK's shoots just as good. I am actually using the load you did in the accuracy testing still.

I bought the 223 Rem and the 6 Creed from a regular customer of yours from Montana.

I also have a 22-250 HSP (Slow TwistšŸ˜­ ) I bought used from a guy on the eastern side of the country. It doesn't get much love since can only shoot lightweight bullets. It is stupid accurate though. I can't find the load development target, but it was a ragged hole for 3-shots at 100 yards off of a bi-pod, and a small field bag. Dan Ekstrom did the load development and shooting.

Sendaro

Sendero profile so it will have some heft to it.

You will have no problem with that.
My old 7.82 Patriot (Larger case capacity than the WSM) XP-100. 15.75" sporter taper.
Ran 150 NBT's at 3001 fps, and 180 SGK's at 2750ish was a much lighter weight than Earl is considering, and I just had a Vais brake on this. Very manageable and very accurate.
Ern Elk 11-04 #1 (2).jpg

Rear grip guns have less muzzle flip than centergrip. Probably because all the weight is forward of the fulcrum. But if you're shooting in field positions a rear grip makes the shooter much more bunched up than a centergrip. That's why I prefer a centergrip.

Looks like I'll have me a Dell trigger here soon. Going to add a 3 position shroud safety just for peace of mind. I know the best safety is your finger and nothing in the chamber but a little redundancy never hurt.

If you wanna maximize BC for distance consider a 9 twist.
Why would you say that to me? Now I've been in the books yet again and gone brain numb bouncing around and going over G1 and G7 BCs. I've done advanced math for goodness sake. I had a custom barrel in the cart ready to hit send.

Why would you say that to me? Now I've been in the books yet again and gone brain numb bouncing around and going over G1 and G7 BCs. I've done advanced math for goodness sake. I had a custom barrel in the cart ready to hit send.
LOL

I've got a 10 twist 30 cal (300 RUM, 300WM, 30-06 and others that are 10 twist). However, my last two 30 cal barrels are 9 twist. If you wanna shoot heavies - ie 250 gr - go 8 twist. I don't plan on shooting anything g heavier than 230 with most in the 210-215 range so I went with a 9 twist.

Hornady and Berger have shown that faster twist gives better BC. Use the G7 BC for boat tails and the G1 BC for flatbase bullets.

Question time. I don't have access to my XP to take a measurement at the moment. Dose anyone know of could someone measure the thickness of a factory xp recoil lug please?