It happened to me

So After thousands of rounds, i made a mistake and somehow grabbed the reloader 15 instead of reloader 25 for my 257 bee. Fired one round at minimum charge ( thank goodness) and the bolt was locked up something fierce. The rifle appears to be ok. Always look at your bottle twice I know I will for now on!
I store my powder under my bench and when loading only one bottle at a time sits on top

I store my powder under my bench and when loading only one bottle at a time sits on top
I store my powder on a totally different bench in numerical order, but 25 is on one end and 15 on the other, guess the way the bottle was turned i saw the five and figured good to go. Like others said ,
Can't have any distractions and need to keep the bottle right next to the powder thrower when loading. Complacency is dangerous

Not the powder goofup but almost as bad. I load and shoot 6mm Rem and .257 Roberts. Went to the range with both rifles and settled down and started with the 6mm. Then put it down and picked up the Roberts. First round not even close to the target, second shot no better and a dust puff off to the left. Puzzled I looked over and wth I was still pulling rounds out of the 6mm box. Yup, the 6mm will chamber and fire in the .257 Roberts because they come from the same cartridge family.
Must be a family trait....i was at my home bench with one of my 257 Bob A.I.s and one of my 6.5/257 Bob A.I.s.....shoot one group allow to cool while shooting the other.....good group, good group, ......wth .....cant see the hole.....wth....chrony is waaay off.........oops rattled a .257 down the .264....never hit the target....never shot that pairing again either....luckily it wasn't the other way around, although the 6.5 Bob will not chamber in the 257 Bob.

I was pulling bullets, numerous rounds with the same bullets, but totally different powders.
Was into the 5th set when nature called, when I came back H1000 was on the bench, pulled 5 bullets before I realised I was pouring out RETUMBO. That was 5 300WM cases went into 1lb of RETUMBO.

The other incident I witnessed was at a gun club shoot where one guy, notorious for poor gun handling safety, incorrect procedure on the firing line, etc etc, fired 5 rounds of 25-06 through his 270 before someone pointed out the soft report of the rifle. He then proceeded to fire a 270 round while the range was in a ceasefire at his feet saying that sounded more like it....unbelievable.

Cheers.

I was pulling bullets, numerous rounds with the same bullets, but totally different powders.
Was into the 5th set when nature called, when I came back H1000 was on the bench, pulled 5 bullets before I realised I was pouring out RETUMBO. That was 5 300WM cases went into 1lb of RETUMBO.

The other incident I witnessed was at a gun club shoot where one guy, notorious for poor gun handling safety, incorrect procedure on the firing line, etc etc, fired 5 rounds of 25-06 through his 270 before someone pointed out the soft report of the rifle. He then proceeded to fire a 270 round while the range was in a ceasefire at his feet saying that sounded more like it....unbelievable.

Cheers.
Holy hannah, that guy is something else!

Happens to the best of us. Buddy of mine took a mutual friend out shooting. Mutual friend liked guns, but was not a "gun guy." He wasn't paying attention and loaded a 6.5 CM in a .308 GAP10. It fired, fire formed the brass, and messed up the chamber. He had to get the GAP10 rebarreled.

It has t happened to me yet. I hope it doesn't. But I'm running a 6.5 Grendel and a 6mm predator (6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm) both running Berger's. They both shoot use the same magazine, and they look IDENTICAL. As silly as this may sound, I use the same bolt/bolt carrier for both rifles as an extra step to remind me to put any unused rounds back into their respective boxes and empty the magazines before shooting the other caliber.

Not the powder goofup but almost as bad. I load and shoot 6mm Rem and .257 Roberts. Went to the range with both rifles and settled down and started with the 6mm. Then put it down and picked up the Roberts. First round not even close to the target, second shot no better and a dust puff off to the left. Puzzled I looked over and wth I was still pulling rounds out of the 6mm box. Yup, the 6mm will chamber and fire in the .257 Roberts because they come from the same cartridge family.
As a 270 will fire in a 30-06! been there, done that.

I purchased a 338WM from a guy on here back a while ago. He sent some ammo with it. A few boxes of 338 federal which I though was strange and a box of 338WM. Took her to the range and slid the ammo out of the 338 box and just happened to notice the brass said FC on the back and it was in a Winchester box. Took a second look and it was 300 Win mag ammo in a 338 Win Mag box. It was just luck that I caughr it. Funny part was the guy didn't understand why I was upset. I was like Seriously?

Not exactly sure what happened here. 190 grain bullet, 75 grains imr7828ssc. 300 WM. I think the case split from FL resizing too many times? Separation let the gases push in the shoulder area as the bullet went down the pipe.? Bought me a collet die neck sizer, and, probably try a lighter load for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_1932215_rewind_kindlephoto-226756392.jpg
    IMG_20191008_1932215_rewind_kindlephoto-226756392.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20191008_1932473_rewind_kindlephoto-226866684.jpg
    IMG_20191008_1932473_rewind_kindlephoto-226866684.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 83
Glad your o.k.
When I'm reloading I have the bottle setting right next to my scale so I can see what powder I'm using.
I keep a sticky note on my chargemaster to remind me of what powder is in it. When I fill it. I put the note on it

I do the same as L.sherm and in addition just in case I have to get up from bench or anything, I also have strips of blue masking tape stuck to the side wall of my bench of each powder I have and take the one I am using at the time and stick it on my powder scale hopper.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.