it’s been a while but….

got my first deer of the year.

get my first deer in almost 3 years.

it was a by permit only for disabled sportsmans, any legal weapon hunt in central/north eastern North Carolina

they (NC wildlife commission folks) got us all to our designated blinds by 10:45 am this morning. figured i wouldn't see any bucks or anything really till about dusk.

well after seeing a couple wild turkeys, and a couple spiders fighting the wind to make webs, approximately 6:45pm, a doe came staggering out of the wood line.

the first 10ish seconds after she came out, she gave me the perfect broad side shot.

but by the time i settle in and relaxed (5-10 seconds after that) the was slightly quartering away.

sent my hand loaded 110gr accubond her way. hit her mid shoulder and it exited out on yhe outer edge of her other shoulder.

left a good blood trail, found her piled up about 60 yards away from where i shot her. pulled the heart, no damage so it was a lung shot

big shout out to the NC Wildlife folks that helped put this on and helped us.

they skinned, and dressed this sucker out with such speed and finesse.

AR15, put together around a AR-performance 18" 6.8 SPC II barrel, CMMG 2 stage trigger, vortex 2-7 scope

110gr accubond
27.5 (or 26.5)gr RL10x, i'll have to check my notes but if memory serves me correct that charge puts it round 2600 FPS
Federal SRP brass
CCI 41 primer
Congratulations

wonderful experience . Thanks for sharing it with all of us. and of course , congratulations on getting a deer after testing you patience all day. The added touch of the spiders makes it where we can all relate. Good job. Share the story with everyone you love and remember a special day.

@backwoodsshooter : thank you sharing this with us! We are all glad you were given an opportunity by NC Wildlife Resource Commission and a HUGE shout out to them for having such a wonderful program for those who might not get the chance to hunt without assistance. I wish other states had such a robust program for those who need assistance.
LINK: NC Access Guide for Sportsmen with Disabilities

Michigan has a 2 day hunt but wish they took the extra step like NC.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear about folks helping others. My 6.8 Spc is my favorite AR. Killed quite a few pigs with it but never deer. May have to give it a go in the deer stand this year!

Congratulations
Congratulations! Thank you for posting this. Thanks for the great pictures.

thank you fellas.

wonderful experience . Thanks for sharing it with all of us. and of course , congratulations on getting a deer after testing you patience all day. The added touch of the spiders makes it where we can all relate. Good job. Share the story with everyone you love and remember a special day.

not gonna lie, it really did test my patience and i would be lying if i said i wasn't grumpy or upset for the last couple hours before she came out.

@backwoodsshooter : thank you sharing this with us! We are all glad you were given an opportunity by NC Wildlife Resource Commission and a HUGE shout out to them for having such a wonderful program for those who might not get the chance to hunt without assistance. I wish other states had such a robust program for those who need assistance.
LINK: NC Access Guide for Sportsmen with Disabilities

Michigan has a 2 day hunt but wish they took the extra step like NC.

thank you good sir. NC might get a lot of things wrong, but they also get a lot of thing right as well.

i will say, i'm not sure if Georgia (wife is stationed at Stewart) has anything like that and been meaning to dig in to it.

i haven't looked in to Virginia or Tennessee in a few years, same with SC

There is always a way to work around handicaps. It is great our Dept. of Natural Recourses make a way.

exactly, some of the up coming hunts have liftmasters. they are sketchy but really accommodate folks

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear about folks helping others. My 6.8 Spc is my favorite AR. Killed quite a few pigs with it but never deer. May have to give it a go in the deer stand this year!

thank you good sir. if you hand load for it, for cup and core projectiles 100/110gr accubond is IMO the best, followed by the 90gr gold dot. the accubonds have always left a good blood trail. i've been wanting to try the cavity back bullet but until things settle down, just ain't gonna happen