Issues with Redding Seating Die, 338RUM

D.Camilleri

I was loading some shells for my 338 Rum today and ran into an issue that I forgot about that happened last year. With my seating die bottomed out as far as I can go without making a crimp, and the upper seating adjuster bottomed out, I can only get my OAL down to 3.680 with 300 gr Berger OTM's. When I ran into this last year, I went ahead and bought a VLD Micrometer seating stem for my seating die. Same problem, can't get the bullet seated deep enough. I ground off about .100 from the top of the seating die and it helped a little, now I can get my OAL to 3.670. Has anyone else had this issue? I used to have some rcbs dies for the 338rum, but I sold them. I set the seating die into a vice on my drill press and tried to relieve the step from the upper side of the die, but the material is too hard. Any thoughts?

I contacted Redding and told them of the issue I was having, then I forwarded them a copy of reviews from Midway that stated the same thing as far as not being able to seat the bullets deep enough with the micrometer seating plug. I am not satisfied with the answers I got from Redding when I told them they have a design problem. So I chucked the die into the lathe and then put the seating plug into the lathe and soon I will have a die that works. In the mean time, I ordered a set of RCBS dies. Thanks for nothing Redding!

I contacted Redding and told them of the issue I was having, then I forwarded them a copy of reviews from Midway that stated the same thing as far as not being able to seat the bullets deep enough with the micrometer seating plug. I am not satisfied with the answers I got from Redding when I told them they have a design problem. So I chucked the die into the lathe and then put the seating plug into the lathe and soon I will have a die that works. In the mean time, I ordered a set of RCBS dies. Thanks for nothing Redding!

I have been using Redding stuff for 40 years and I know what you mean. The company is being slowly ground into the dirt by bad management .
Their new website is a confusing mess and they will not change a thing .
They don't listen to their customers anymore .
It's a real shame that such great products and manufacturing history is being controlled by idiots .
Love the products , hate the new management philosophy .
Given enough time and the continued bad management the company will start to fail , some cracks are already showing .
I dealt with the CEO on an issue and found him rigid , unhelpful and not really interested in a long standing customers complaints .

I had a problem with my T7 Redding Turret Press. They had responded quick with a fix for the wabble on the turret. Had done as they said and the problem was solved.

Hoever, I had only converted to Redding in the past 12 months. Everybody would tell you they are the best. However, my next problem was when I applied a little too much wax to the case neck, it would dent the case immediately. With Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady this was never a problem, since they have invented the vent hole on the shoulder of the die. Another problem was that I would have only dipped the neck of the case in the wax and then wipe the outside clean, thereby having some lube also on the inside of the neck. Extracting a case from the Redding die was difficult since the expander ball gave a bad sqeeky noise. Read on the web you have to polish the necks of your cases first with Redding die. I have ordered some Foster dies and was this a pleasure. Sizing and extraction was easy and there was no sqeeky noise. Foster also has the vent hole on the shoulder.

Good products with bad management will soon result in a bad Company. You need to stay in touch with market demands.

I received yet another email from Redding product development insisting that their die doesn't have a problem and then suggesting that I purchase yet a different part # seating die. I ordered the vld seating die listed for a 338 rum. Yesterday I chucked the die up into the lathe and cut .100 from the top of the die to allow the seating plug to go down further. Then I discovered that the seating plug was bottoming out in the interal threads. I chucked up the seating plug and cut .100 off of the threads and now I can seat all the way to factory specs if I want. Now I will grab the micrometer seating die and chuck it in the lathe and cut .100 off of the threads and problem solved. As for dealing with Redding customer service, I am not sure I want to waste any more of my time.

I have no issues and they work perfectly, your OAL is way short, my 338 RUM reamer is a standard reamer and I seat at a 3.890 OAL just of the lands.

I would like to set it that long, but then it won't fit my magazine. I like to be at 3.670 and then I get good feeding and it fits in the magazine. My lathe work is done and now my micrometer seating die should work the way it is supposed to.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.