Issues w/a Proof Research Barrel and a cold bore shot

6.5 SAUM .120" FB
Proof Sendero Lite 24"

Same here. I can barely get a 1.5MOA group at 100yds. I've tried various different loads.
First round usually a flier from the day before. Next 2 rounds on target. The next 3 or 4 rounds is random. One thing though is my fliers tend to be 11 o clock more than anywhere else.

I'm disappointed. Proof blanks are expensive up here in Canada. Last one I'll buy.

I have a Hardy CF and a HCA that are consistent right off the start.

My gun went to proof for testing. I will say that their contact with me is how customer service is suppose to work. I even offered to pay for shipping but they sent me a shipping label and foot the bill both ways. Long story short they shot it in their indoor facility with a omega suppressor. Both groups were impressive to say the least. They used fgmm 168g.

so now I guess I need to try some other suppressors to see if I can get it to group. It obviously doesn't like this 30-p1. if I am unsuccessful this gun will have to go up for sale or re barrel it with a steel barrel.

Attachments

• 46B3E541-9A18-49B5-BDD1-3F27301A5CBE.jpeg
    46B3E541-9A18-49B5-BDD1-3F27301A5CBE.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 350
  • CFF7F61E-D4CB-400E-844F-4782C82D838D.jpeg
    CFF7F61E-D4CB-400E-844F-4782C82D838D.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 343
Is it possible that after you shoot that 1st round, you are chambering subsequent rounds into that warm chamber and letting them sit in there long enough to raise the temperature of the powder and increase velocity along with it? I had a barrel that acted like you describe but it was a paper thin tuning fork and I just accepted it. I would not accept that from my Proof barrel.

My gun went to proof for testing. I will say that their contact with me is how customer service is suppose to work. I even offered to pay for shipping but they sent me a shipping label and foot the bill both ways. Long story short they shot it in their indoor facility with a omega suppressor. Both groups were impressive to say the least. They used fgmm 168g.

so now I guess I need to try some other suppressors to see if I can get it to group. It obviously doesn't like this 30-p1. if I am unsuccessful this gun will have to go up for sale or re barrel it with a steel barrel.

I would consider good customer service to be them sending you a new barrel with the amount of testing you've done. This barrel has put you through the ringer and you having to send the gun for testing doesn't seem very "good" to me

I would consider good customer service to be them sending you a new barrel with the amount of testing you've done. This barrel has put you through the ringer and you having to send the gun for testing doesn't seem very "good" to me
The barrel shoots, look at the groups they shot. It may not like the bullets he wants to shoot, that happens. It most likely may have to do with the suppressor he is using, that is out of the barrel manufactures control. I think they did a good job from what he said. If I were going to hang a suppressor off a barrel I would be using an all street barrel, its just one less possible issue in the equation.

I wish it was that easy but proof proved that it shoots like it should. Proof barrels can be hit and miss or finicky at times. I can try another suppressor from a friend and see what happens. So far an ultra 7, ultra 338 and an omega has proven good results between area419 and proof research. This gun is at 6lbs with nothing on it which was my goal.

i know my 30-p1 is fine on other rifles. This gun may just like a lighter suppressor. I would assume I could even take 2 30cal ultra 7's and have 2 different poi shifts. Unfortunately I don't have multiple suppressor at my disposal

The barrel shoots, look at the groups they shot. It may not like the bullets he wants to shoot, that happens. It most likely may have to do with the suppressor he is using, that is out of the barrel manufactures control. I think they did a good job from what he said. If I were going to hang a suppressor off a barrel I would be using an all street barrel, its just one less possible issue in the equation.
I am just saying good service would've been a new barrel. A couple hundred buckos worth of barrel and they would've probably had a customer for life, plus anyone he tells this story forever.

I am just saying good service would've been a new barrel. A couple hundred buckos worth of barrel and they would've probably had a customer for life, plus anyone he tells this story forever.

To what end? If his suppressor causes the issue, then this would likely happen again—and it has completely nothing to do with the product that Proof has provided.

It's like saying that Chevy should replace your Corvette because the aftermarket wheels you put on aren't balanced and cause a high speed wobble.

My Saker 762 causes zero shift on my 6.8 SPC (cold bore and maintains same zero with suppressor on or off), but on my 6.5 PRC it causes a 0.2 mil cold bore shot shift—for that one shot only. Do I blame the barrel manufacturer? The suppressor manufacturer? Who owes me new product to prove theirs is universally adaptable, which neither ever claimed?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.