Issues w/a Proof Research Barrel and a cold bore shot

As mentioned before, what method are you using to shoot? Prone, bench, bags, sled, etc? It seems like you have no problem shooting accurately so looming towards a cold shooter or shooter positioning of himself or the rifle potentially. Seems like an odd issue and I'm hoping it's not the rifle.

I just bought a brand new Proof Research 7mm 8 twist barrel, had my gunsmith put it on a Deviant Action with the idea of creating a 7mm wsm so we could use the Berger 168 grain VLD Hunting, Hornaday 180 grain EDL or Hornaday 175 grain EDX. After breaking the barrel as prescribed in their directions, we are having a very difficult time.

Once we think we have the ogive correct and try to a 3 or 4 shot group when the barrel is cold. The 1st shot is 2" right, below or above every time. The other 3 shots fall into nearly the same home (in the .10ths at 100 yards). It happens on the 168 grain bullet & the 180 grain bullet.

There is no reason why this should be happening. We have checked the screws, bedding, scope rings and the stock. Has anyone else had the same issue? If so, could you fix the issue?

Thanks
Is that first shot out of a cleaned barrel?

I had a tube gun(Tubb 2K) that shot at competitive level with hot grouping, but it never had any potential with cold bore accuracy. This was a quick test while fire forming brass (showed what I could never solve):
6XCgrpSM.jpg

It was a Schneider barrel, button rifled. Perhaps an issue -vs- any cut rifled barrel.
The only thing changing so consistently with this testing is the barrel temps, and POI.

Last edited:
It's a bad barrel - know several other carbon barrels of another manufacture that do this exact same thing.

First shot is repeatably out of the rest of the group - after the first shot it's a 1/4 moa gun.

I'd call proof and they should warranty it

.308 that has maybe 100 rounds on it and back to area419 for similar issues. More issues with a can on. They were not able to produce my issue. This was shot after I just got it back a few weeks ago. 175 black hills un suppressed.

Attachments

• 4A411484-FDB8-456C-BFE4-CA772BF825D4.jpeg
    4A411484-FDB8-456C-BFE4-CA772BF825D4.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 482
I am having a similar issue. My first inclination was the barrel, too.

I thought my issue was on a cold barrel but found the issue in longer shot strings. Nearly every time the first shot, though, is the flyer to the tune of 1.5" - 2" low at 100 yards. I'd first confirm it's indeed a cold barrel and shoot longer strings to confirm.

I don't know if it will help but here's what I've done so far.

Mine is: 22 Creedmoor, Bighorn TL3, Bartlein barrels

Berger recently introduced the 85.5 grain bullet and stopped the 82. I was getting jacket separation with the 85's. I abuse my barrels and it was near 1000 rounds so I decided to replace it. I had been beginning to notice occasional flyers as well and figured the new barrel would solve both issues.

After chambering a new barrel the jacket separation stopped but the flyers did not.

I tried two different loads (good accuracy not counting the flyers) that are 130 fps apart, no change.

I swapped triggers with a known good rifle, no change.

I changed from a Manners EH1 to a XLR chassis, no change.

Upon removing the action from the chassis I immediately noticed a small section where cerakote in the action channel was removed. I found the screw holding the ejector on the Bighorn was proud so I shortened the screw. No change.

I've completely disassembled the bolt and cleaned everything, no change.

I haven't shot again but have shortened the ejector screw a bit more since I did see just a bit of silver through the air dry cerakote that I used to cover the original mark in the chassis action channel.

I removed the screws holding the rail to verify and found the rail 'glued' to the stock (guessing it is the blue loctite). A small plastic mallet will not move it so I know it's solid. When re-installing the 8-40 screws I shortened the front one just to be sure it was not hitting the barrel tenon.

I will shoot it first. If the issue is still there I'll swap scopes with another known good one. FWIW, all the scopes are NF ATACR 4-16 and 7-35.

I am using a Lane 556 suppressor. I may also try shooting without the suppressor.

Last edited:
Is that first shot out of a cleaned barrel?
Well first problem is if your shooting 180 grain and less bullets you only need a 1-9 twist. This can cause accuracy issues with the wrong twist rate. You'll have to jump up in bullet weight. 190 grain and heavier.

It's a bad barrel - know several other carbon barrels of another manufacture that do this exact same thing.

First shot is repeatably out of the rest of the group - after the first shot it's a 1/4 moa gun.

I'd call proof and they should warranty it
I'd be checking the bedding.

They were not able to produce my issue.
So I go to Proof's site and they conceal the rifling method, and their claim to fame in this regard is: No point-of-impact shift during high-volume fire.
My gut says they don't make hunting potential barrels, as they would brag up attributes related to hunting shooting, or shine on the sniping bling, if they did..

Maybe a better route would be a straight taper Krieger, heavily (anti-heavily?) fluted, and melonite treated.

Last edited:
I would definitely reconsider that 1:8 twist with what you are running out of it. A 1:8.4 or 9 would be a better option. I've never had a single issue with a proof barrel. The couple I've done builds on have shot pretty spectacular.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.