Issues w/a Proof Research Barrel and a cold bore shot

AggieHunter

I just bought a brand new Proof Research 7mm 8 twist barrel, had my gunsmith put it on a Deviant Action with the idea of creating a 7mm wsm so we could use the Berger 168 grain VLD Hunting, Hornaday 180 grain EDL or Hornaday 175 grain EDX. After breaking the barrel as prescribed in their directions, we are having a very difficult time.

Once we think we have the ogive correct and try to a 3 or 4 shot group when the barrel is cold. The 1st shot is 2" right, below or above every time. The other 3 shots fall into nearly the same home (in the .10ths at 100 yards). It happens on the 168 grain bullet & the 180 grain bullet.

There is no reason why this should be happening. We have checked the screws, bedding, scope rings and the stock. Has anyone else had the same issue? If so, could you fix the issue?

Thanks

Had a similar issue but with a shot out barrel, not a new one. Have you examined the bore?
There doesn't seem to be any issues but I do not have a good bore scope nor a procedure to test for "straightness" going down the bore. Suggestions? Other than sending it back to PF for analysis.

Id say its your rifle set up on the bags or what ever your using for support
Check that
Maybe a swivel stud is catching

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.