issue leveling action/scope/ringcap level

fisherman983

just installed my new scope/ring combo and am having issues getting everything leveled up correctely.
parts are 20 moa nightforce rail
nightforce atacr 5-25x56
Hawkins precision 34mm mediums
the action and scope are leveled together but for the life of me, I cant get my right cap level to be level with the other 2. what are the possible problems I may have in this issue?

the action and scope are leveled together
How do you know this? What do you mean while suggesting your scope is level to the action?

You don't aim with a gun. You aim with a sight.
Best you can do really is identify plumb crosshair or elevation adjustments.
The action, stock, rings, bases, rest can be level or not. They don't matter to aim.
With this, I feel that the best level out there is the ScopLevel. Install one, true it to your scope, and you can then move that scope across multiple guns with no concerns about level.

How do you know this? What do you mean while suggesting your scope is level to the action?

You don't aim with a gun. You aim with a sight.
Best you can do really is identify plumb crosshair or elevation adjustments.
The action, stock, rings, bases, rest can be level or not. They don't matter to aim.
With this, I feel that the best level out there is the ScopLevel. Install one, true it to your scope, and you can then move that scope across multiple guns with no concerns about level.
I put a level in the action, then installed my rings/scope. With a level in the action and a level on top of my scope elevation cap, both levels are level and matching while the level in my rear ring cap is not level.

Is there some reason you really really want a 'ring cap' level?
It cannot affect your shooting.

Keep in mind also that a scope elevation cap does not well represent scope internal level. It's exterior to what actually matters.
To identify plumb scope internals(crosshair or adjustments) you just point/align the scope at a plum line and set your scopelevel. That is if using crosshair holdover in the field. If dialing, you adjust elevation through full range to track along a plumb line, and set your scopelevel. You don't even need a gun for this.

Then setup a gun as you intend to shoot it (maybe level in itself), place the level scope on it's rings, and lock it down. Load develop with the gun in this setup.
That gun doesn't have to be level, and neither do the bases or rings. For a while I had a gun set up with a 7deg cant. I could put any of my level identified scopes on it and everything was fine.

Put a level in your action. Take a 4' level and put a large cross hair on the wall. Look through your scope and level it to the mark. Then install scope level.

Is there some reason you really really want a 'ring cap' level?
It cannot affect your shooting.
I thought it would he easier to buy a ser of rings with a level rather than buy a set of rings AND an external level. And cheaper as well.

I do not necessarily agree with it leveling an action, the making sure reticle is plumb. If you have a canned reticle, and the scope body is not plumb to the gun, your tracking will cause L-R shift when you dial elevation. And could also cause a false plumb and bullet drop will be off at distance.

As for ring cap levels, just get rifle and scope level. Tighten front ring cap to limit scope rotation, and when tightening rear cap, alternate screws when tightening, and do no more than 1/8 turn on each screw at a time. It might take a few tries, but should be doable.

The Picatinny rail mounted ones are a decent option if you have the clearance. Flatline Ops makes a really nice one. Since it attaches to the rail, more likely it will be level with the rifle.

Listen to Mikecr. As long as the scope is set to the same position each time (as when using a scope level and the vertical reticle is plumb to the scope level) then it doesn't matter if the action/rifle is level or canted.

Set the rifle up to where you can consistently hold it. Meaning the same each time you shoulder it. Then do a tall target drill with a plum line. Once you have the scope tracking straight up, set your anticant level.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.