Is zeiss conquest 3x9x40 a 600 yard scope?

M_freeman

I have this model and am very happy as a beginner hitting where I want at 300 yards. I am getting into reloading and want to venture farther and push my rig out to 600 yards. I have heard this model of scope is not good out past 300 yards because of they way it has its permanent parralax adjustment set at 100 yards. I want to cut throught the bs is this scope good to 600 yards?

I have had three of these scopes on several different guns, one on a Tar-Hunt RSG slug gun, one on a Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader, and currently have one on a Rock River Predator AR-15. I think they are the very best midrange scope you can buy for under $500. But they have obvious limitations when you push the distance out past 300 yards. I also have had one 4.5-14X44 AO Rapid Z-600 Conquest and it was much nicer for dialing in long distance and having the side focus was a huge plus. If I was only going to be shooting sub 300 yards I would buy another 3-9X40 Conquest without question. If I was stretching things out I would at least opt for a Rapid Z type of ballistic reticle and probably would look for one with side focus also. Hope that helps.

Scott

Two things to consider. Size of cross hairs and parallax.

How much of the target is covered up by the reticle is a consideration. You should have no problem shooting a gallon plastic milk jugs, I would think at that distance.

Regarding parallax: Set up on a distant target and move your eye around without moving the rifle. That will show you the amount of parallax you have.

Then play around by moving your eye back and forth to get less and less of a field of view. Get enough black around the sight picture to be able to "center" it. This is a very simple and effective DIY parallax removal method.

Actual field experience trying different things will be quite revealing.

Just a suggestion.

I agree with previous posts. You are going to have to try that one out yourself. I think Roy hit the spot when he said reticle size and parallax. If you dont find yourself struggling with those, take her as far as she will go!

As far as the conquest goes I dont think you can get better for the money. In fact just today I was working on mounting both a Leupold VX3 and Conquest. Both 3.5x10 and both 50mm obj. Bouncing back and forth between the two working on bore sighting and such the difference in clarity was overwhelming in favor of the Conquest. I love Zeiss Conquest scopes. As far as durability goes I dont see any problem with mounting on top of a 338winmag. Should handle the recoil just fine.

Personally, I usually won't buy any scope unless it's got parallax adjustment/side focus.

The exception is my sons' lever action .243, and my lever action 45-70.

Neither guns are accurate enough to be shooting beyond 300 yds, and both are used for hunting at close ranges only.

I prefer something over 10X for shooting very small targets or for distances beyond 300 yds. You wont find many if any scopes over 10X that don't have Parallax Adjustment.

I forgot that I do have a couple other scopes that don't have parallax adjustment. They are on a 22 rimfire and an AR-15 .223 Both these are also used for relatively close range hunting/shooting.

Last edited:
I plan on purchasing a Zeiss 3x10x44 Rapid Z 600 for my 600 yard rifle if that helps any. This is for a big game rifle however, if it was for varmints or target I would go with a 14 or 20x.

Depends on the size of the things you are trying to hit.

This was at about 450-500 yards, at a 30 degree angle, using the hood of a 4x4 as a rest. Targets (baboons) are pretty darn small.

Using a .30-06 Tikka rifle with handloads, Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with #4 German reticle.

Note the baboon to the right of center - ruined his day :)

Also took some baboons at over 500 yards with the same set up.

YouTube - Baboons in Namibia

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.