Is Your Cleaning Patch Angel White?

ADMIN

Administrator
I've been cleaning rifles for a long time and it wasn't until recently that I got one clean. It was quite by accident that a gunsmith friend told to me to try Wipe-Out cleaner. My friend specializes in long range, accurate rifles and his work does not leave his shop until he is satisfied with the accuracy. So when he makes a recommendation I tend to listen. Although his advice is always good I did not act, as I still had plenty of my regular bore cleaner. Then another friend who has a reputation for winning groundhog matches gave me the same advice, "The stuff works." That bit of information was also stored somewhere in the grottos of my memory. Finally, some months later another top-notch shooter told me to give Wipe-Out a try. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I decided there must be something to this bore cleaner and contacted Terry Paul at SharpShoot-R Precision Products in Paola, Kansas. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Is Your Cleaning Patch Angel White?, By Glenn Burroughs. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I swear by Wipe Out. My custom 300WM was having accuracy problems and despite my old school Hoppes religious cleaning procedures the Barnes TTSX full copper bullets had left substantial copper fouling behind. I also tried the KB line of cleaners and a lot of elbow grease with a nylon brush. Two overnight patch and soaks with Wipe-Out foaming cleaner was the only thing that worked. No need for brushing just soak and patch.

I'll never use anything other than Wipe-Out and Patch-Out.

Robert

The stuff is a scam. Nothing more than watered down Windex. Don't waste money on it, like I did....
Don't know where you get your info, but that is B.S. Whoever told you that needs to sit down range for the good of the community.
This stuff is the real deal. I've used Wipeout for years now and it has recovered barrels that the other products did not touch. If you enjoy grunting and straining for days over a barrel with the other junk, that's your choice. Some guys probably think that's "heroic". I prefer to use a product that's easier, quicker, and proven by experience.

Only my opinion, but the only way to prove or disprove the effect of a cleaning product is before and after pics with a borescope not a bright clear pic of a blue patch. Also a quality made barrel will obviously clean easier than the average factory barrel. Bore cleaning products discussions are a crap shoot since almost everyone's choice will differ.

I have lived in the Paola Ks. area all my life never heard of Terry before, but I`m gonna look him up! I have been having cleaning issues I thought, & was not satisfied I was using the best products, & not sure they were doing as advertised? What`s a few bucks to test the product given what we spend on our rifles??

So what bore cleaning products were being used prior to using these SharpShoot-R Precision Products?

Don't know where you get your info, but that is B.S. Whoever told you that needs to sit down range for the good of the community.
This stuff is the real deal. I've used Wipeout for years now and it has recovered barrels that the other products did not touch. If you enjoy grunting and straining for days over a barrel with the other junk, that's your choice. Some guys probably think that's "heroic". I prefer to use a product that's easier, quicker, and proven by experience.

Sorry not BS. No one told me that, I'm have purchased and used the stuff. It does not work well at all. You can spray almost anything in your barrel and let it set for a few days and it will loosen up crud. Spray more in the barrel and wait a couple more days and you will get some more. Because I have a life I need to get my rifle cleaned in one afternoon, not four days.

Any penetrating oil will do the same as Wipeout, if you let it set over night. Kroil, WD-40, all work well for that.

Smell the stuff. Smells just like Windex doesn't it? Wash your trucks windshield with it. Works just like Windex doesn't it?

Last edited:
Sorry not BS. No one told me that, I'm have purchased and used the stuff. It does not work well at all. You can spray almost anything in your barrel and let it set for a few days and it will loosen up crud. Spray more in the barrel and wait a couple more days and you will get some more. Because I have a life I need to get my rifle cleaned in one afternoon, not four days.

Any penetrating oil will do the same as Wipeout, if you let it set over night. Kroil, WD-40, all work well for that.

Smell the stuff. Smells just like Windex doesn't it? Wash your trucks windshield with it. Works just like Windex doesn't it?

True story about spraying anything. As for wipe out, I'm not impressed, I'd use countless patches trying to get a clean swipe. Now I use what everyone at the top of the spectrum uses, KG.

I think I smell a troll.
Probably best you know what a troll is before you point fingers, but then again I wouldn't expect a "cowboy" on the interweb to know much of anything.

....Now I use what everyone at the top of the spectrum uses, KG.......[/QUOTE

My situation was and is that I exclusively shoot the notorious copper fouling Barnes TTSX. The last thing I tried before Wipe-Out were the KG products including their specific copper cleaner. If it works for you I'd really like to hear about your cleaning process with KG and I'm not being a smart *** about it.

When it would look clean with the KG and Hoppes for me if I foamed it with Wipe-Out it still came out very blue indicating copper fouling.

My process now after every 30-40 rounds is a foam application and patch it out. That usually takes two applications and waiting 15-30 minutes. But it works 100% with no scrubbing.

Thanks! ~Robert

Step 1) KG1 carbon remover. Follow KG's instructions.

Step 2) Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech +2 Copper removal product for tougher copper fouling. Follow Bore Tech's instructions.

KG-12 is also a pretty good copper removal product, but it doesn't indicate blue, so it's difficult to read the patches to know whether or not there's still copper in the bore. That's the primary reason I prefer Bore Tech products for copper removal.

The original WipeOut product is effective if you want to, are willing to, set the gun aside for hours to give it time to work.

I've never used Patch Out or Accelerator, so I have absolutely nothing to offer on those two products.

When I'm breaking in a new barrel, I like to clean after each bullet fired so I can observe the progressive reduction in copper fouling. This rules out the use of WipeOut for me. Over the past 7 years, I've come to prefer KG1 for carbon and Bore Tech Eliminator products for copper.

I still have KG12 and WipeOut in the gun cleaning room. I find that I hardly ever use either of these products any more, but I have used them both extensively in the past. I suppose that speaks louder than anything else I might type.

I refuse to use any copper cleaning product that contains ammonia. There are better, less risky products available that are 100% safe. Products that pose no corrosion risk to my bores.

I usually take out the carbon first, which wipe out is fine for, but I use the kg carbon. Then I'll nylon+patch brush in the kg12 and let it soak. It will get sticky but I usually use another patch w/ kg to loosen the tacky stuff.

My smith and most everyone at our local matches use kg products. A friend was talking to a barrel mfg personnel, probably brux, and they said they buy kg by the gallon. If a barrel doesn't shoot (aka return), the first thing they do is plug one end and fill the barrel up and let it soak 24hrs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.