Is this where muzzleloading is going?!

You can top the $12K Gunwerks ML with their $1,000 peep sight and make it Colorado legal !

There are apparently enough uber-rich hunters around to keep those guys in business. They are wayyyyyyyyy above my pay grade. Actually, I'm retired so I don't even get "paid". LOL

IMO it is just getting too complicated to segment the big game seasons into too many special sections. Innovation comes from hunters' desire to have an equipment advantage. This is a positive for the industry and hunters alike. Smokeless muzzle loaders are reaching the point of matching center fire rifles. I really like this development, but I think it should be a matter of choice for the hunter looking for more of a challenge during regular firearms season. Bow season needs some level of restrictions, but should accommodate hunters with physical limitations (like us old guys with years of wear and tear on our bodies). I know several hunters that will hunt with a bow only simply for the challenge. Set reasonable limits of big game that a hunter can harvest and keep it as simple as possible is the way I would design the hunting season.

I stopped at a small gun shop yesterday, and looked at a "muzzleloader/rifle" he builds on his custom bolt action. You put a primer in something that looks like a shell holder off my press, insert it into the bolt face and close the bolt action. It had a Bell and Carlson stock, TriggerTech trigger, and a 26" semi-bull stainless steel barrel. You pour the powder, 4198 i think, or something like that, and push a 327 grain, very steep pointed custom bullet ($1.25 each, nothing else can be substituted because of the bore fit) effortlessly down the tube and shoot.

With a long range scope, this combo shoots a chronographed bullet at 3,080 feet per second! He said the effective range for elk is 750 YARDS! Yes, it's not for the "average guy"...$4,750.00 each, cash money, sans scope of course.

So is this where Muzzleloading is going? Is this going to be the new definition of a "Primitive Weapon?"

I have no dog in this hunt, I tried it, it's ok, old age and eyesight took me out of the game with iron sights.
Been that way for a couple decades and states are starting to crack down on it. MZ's commonly have some of the shortest seasons and other hunting reduction for this exact reason. Basically two centerfire rifle seasons.

I also wouldn't mind making it so that deer season is deer season, and you fill the tag how you want. If they want to spread pressure out, make it so that you have to apply for a week or time period.
That could be kinda cool. Adjust the number of tags based on the success likelihood during that time. Example low numbers of tags for the first week and low numbers during the rut, the. Higher numbers pre and post rut or late season. Pretty vague concept at this point but interesting to think about.

That could be kinda cool. Adjust the number of tags based on the success likelihood during that time. Example low numbers of tags for the first week and low numbers during the rut, the. Higher numbers pre and post rut or late season. Pretty vague concept at this point but interesting to think about.
I can hear the DNR already....to high a cost of administration, would have to hire more people, yadayada etc.

I hunt with a bow for the challenge of getting animals at close range. I also hunt with rifles and muzzle loaders too. I like all of them for different reasons. I do think modern muzzleloaders that can shoot animals at 400 yards or whatever are moving against the "spirit" of why the seasons were set up in the first place. You could say the same thing about the evolution of bows and long range rifles.

I like the idea of hunters being on the same playing field regarding technology for a particular season. How to define that is difficult. The separation of individuals skills should be based on woodsmanship at that point not on access to technology.

I've been handgun hunting during general seasons for years. Pretty much since I picked up my first XP-100, also use revolvers. Doesn't matter to me at all what other hunters are using as it isn't a competition. With that being said if a guy wants to build a smokeless muzzleloader go for it. I can see where eventually states with lower game populations will restrict or redefine what a muzzleloader is.

I've been handgun hunting during general seasons for years. Pretty much since I picked up my first XP-100, also use revolvers. Doesn't matter to me at all what other hunters are using as it isn't a competition. With that being said if a guy wants to build a smokeless muzzleloader go for it. I can see where eventually states with lower game populations will restrict or redefine what a muzzleloader is.

Like you, I also hunted with a handgun during the regular firearm season. Back then. I was shooting a 6" S&W with open sights. A special season wasn't needed to enjoy my interest in a limited use firearm.

There are apparently enough uber-rich hunters around to keep those guys in business. They are wayyyyyyyyy above my pay grade. Actually, I'm retired so I don't even get "paid". LOL
Name one thing in the hunting industry thats not built/centered around big money. The average person today is priced out of any decent hinting opportunities. States are guilty of this also, catering tags to outfitters that charge thousands, instead of giving tags to residents that need them…. How are we supposed to bring the next generation along in this sport, when you can't afford to buy a tag?

Im retired as well and in no way poor, but the prices for a decent tag are outrageous! Not to mention all that goes along with it.

I stopped at a small gun shop yesterday, and looked at a "muzzleloader/rifle" he builds on his custom bolt action. You put a primer in something that looks like a shell holder off my press, insert it into the bolt face and close the bolt action. It had a Bell and Carlson stock, TriggerTech trigger, and a 26" semi-bull stainless steel barrel. You pour the powder, 4198 i think, or something like that, and push a 327 grain, very steep pointed custom bullet ($1.25 each, nothing else can be substituted because of the bore fit) effortlessly down the tube and shoot.

With a long range scope, this combo shoots a chronographed bullet at 3,080 feet per second! He said the effective range for elk is 750 YARDS! Yes, it's not for the "average guy"...$4,750.00 each, cash money, sans scope of course.

So is this where Muzzleloading is going? Is this going to be the new definition of a "Primitive Weapon?"

I have no dog in this hunt, I tried it, it's ok, old age and eyesight took me out of the game with iron sights.
Don't take this the wrong way, but....
These "750 yard" muzzle loaders have been around at least 12 years or so...

Build one yourself, and save a ton of cash.

Then go shoot one at 750 yards... and tell me you're not having a blast, watching your SML stack bullets into tiny groups

On the contrary, other states are promoting the "high dollar" muzzleloaders. More and more states allow smokeless.
Not the guns, but things like the optics, which is the thing that spurred the long rang ML market making them a better option for hunting and getting tags that rifle hunting wasn't offering in the form of opportunities…