Is this True?????

magicofmt

Sent to me in an email.

Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced

by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by

our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,

Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.

(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns.' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!

FORWARD TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST. [I DID]

DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY.

BE ONE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN THE U.S.A

Magic,

Firstly, I am not having a go at you below, it just infuriates me when US citizens try to politicise firearms in Australia and hold up the USA as a shining example of how firearms / society should be done.

I suggest that you type "ed chenel" into Google and read all the copious URLs

Have you any experience with statistics? Remember, 4 is 300% more than 1 but that tells us nothing. Get back to us once you have been to the Australian Institute of Criminology.

The firearms industry in Australi is better now than it has eve been. Gun clubs are3 getting more enquiries than they can handle. Firearms are being sold in greater quantities than the past.

Which part of this rubbish do you want us to compare to the US equivalent?

We can drive walk through any part of any major city and not get accosted 99.99% of the time.

Our police chiefs / judges are not political appointments.

Our national firearms licensing system has uptimes that your NICS could never emulate and you don't get knocked back because your name is similar to a crim.

When was the last time you got to sell all your old guns (even if they didn't work) for near new prices and could then go buy new ones?

Our federal police can actually run IT projects and get results - unlike your
FBI ;-)

In the cases that firearms are found, Overwealmingly they are proved to be imported from overseas.

All we Aussies "lost" was semi /automatic longarms and mag capacity > 10 rounds.

We have no need of "ccw" because our police are effective. We don't have entire districts run by criminals.

Other than criminal gangs shooting each other up, in the last decade I could probably count the multiple shooting events in Oz on a single hand. Can you do the same? How many of the US examples were actually stopped by CCW carriers?

I won't go on because it just raises my blood pressure and it is pointless.

Trying hard to get back on topic, how is long range hunting in Dakota? I am just getting back to it after a 20 yr break. I did Western Action / Single Action for about 5-6 years and did some Sporting clays (miserably ;-) ).

I'm not competitively shooting due to health and other commitments but boy, there sure are a truckload of new gear out there! So many guns, so little money!

Have a great day,

Mark

mlivingstone, I was looking for the facts and you have starightened that out. I wasn't trying to compare you to the US, just thought that we are losing our rights for guns all around the world each day. I did think this email(I now know is garbage) was a little extreme.

Thanks for setting it straight, hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers, was just trying to get clarification.

Take care!

i still think magic....

is right on point , regardless of the fact that all the points in the email are right/wrong......less guns do not equal less crime, and by the same token we have all seen that more gun laws never deter crime either.

with all due respect for mrlivingstone, your gvmt did cave in to those hysterical idiots that thought that you could protect yourselves from monsters and psycopaths by giving up some of your guns.....just those mean old semi-autos that hold 10rds or more....but also remember that your constitition does not have anything such as our second ammendment that protects your right to keep and bear arms

we here in america still need to stay alert and remember statistics......dont let our politicians do the same in the name of false security....AJ

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Magic,

The firearms industry in Australi is better now than it has eve been. Gun clubs are3 getting more enquiries than they can handle. Firearms are being sold in greater quantities than the past.

Mark

Have to disagree there Mark, of cousre gun clubs are getting more enquiries....you have to join one of the robbing bastards to get your licence. Ofcourse firearm numbers would be up too, there was no record of sales before Howard the wanker changed the laws.
Why don't you try typing Martin Bryant into goggle and read the facts then tell me how a man with mental retardation could heart and head shot a cafe full of people with greater precision than US tactical experts could manage in re-creations.

"How could Bryant, an unskilled person of low intellect, kill 25 people in the café by head shots and wound numerous others fired from the hip in 90 seconds ? "

Our gunlaws suck.

I agree. Read furthur and the port arthur massacre was an elaborate plot by our previous government as an excuse to remove our firearms :mad:

thin end of the wedge!!!

Hi, I live in england and have watched gun owners rights systematically eroded over the last 20 years ! The 'it's only semi auto's and 10 plus mags that we're losing ' line is typical of short sighted people ! That is exactly how it started in the U.K and now we have some off the strictest gun control in the world but our streets are no safer ? our very own nra let down large parts of the shooting community during all the recent restrictions ? You probably won't believe this but we are restricted to 4500 joules muzzle energy now unless we shoot a special group at a special target which then allows us to shoot up to 7000j but only for that day at that range! This was sorted out by the nra and if you check the details it wont affect most of there target shooting, funny that?

You must resist every restriction because believe me it IS only the thin end of a very big wedge!!

Russ.

too true mate,give em a inch and theyl take a mile.even thou mssa style rifles dont apeal to every one(my self included).once the antis get rid of one style they move to the next and we all end up with the pointy end of the stick

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.