Is this normal

Hunterguy

sent rifle back in twice second time they told me ejector marks are normal to have the brass or nickel is actually lifting from the case

Attachments

• 8AEE8A03-A533-41D4-A174-7624AB292A1F.png
    8AEE8A03-A533-41D4-A174-7624AB292A1F.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 9129A172-BB78-4CF4-8669-2836EA852C1B.png
    9129A172-BB78-4CF4-8669-2836EA852C1B.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 1,244
  • C6A0E24E-DC18-4172-8B2E-647EA21B8BF5.png
    C6A0E24E-DC18-4172-8B2E-647EA21B8BF5.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 1,490
Is this reloaded brass or new factory ammo? I can see the blue sealer on the primer that Federal uses on their Premium ammo.

I reload the Federal Nickel plated brass and it will flake off but after many firings.

If new or only a few firings it is not supposed to come off like that, trust me I know, I've been using this nickel plated brass for 30+ years.

Stay safe

Mine also smudged the case head similarly. Also at times had tight bolt lift, inconsistent. All I was able to use reliably was nickel plated Federal cases until the bolt was trued. It was shaving brass from beneath the rim; Federals maybe had a rim thickness a few micrometers thinner or nickel made a difference or something, so they would work and others not so much. I would take it to a good gunsmith and have them do some measurements to make sure things are true and squared up. My guy is a picky machinist type, found it quickly.

sent rifle back in twice second time they told me ejector marks are normal to have the brass or nickel is actually lifting from the case
First pic looks like base of case is higher on left side. Bolt not true? Maybe just pressure issue but definitely not right.

I've seen this with dirty chambers. I've also seen it with some Weatherby factory ammo in 300wby. No issue re bolt lift, and I was able to get multiple reloads out of the same brass.... It also shot .5 moa. I have had quality rifles with an apparent tight chamber that showed pressure signs with near minimum recommended loads. Chronograp showed velocity was in fact at full speed. My point is every rifle is different. You may have a problem, or even a couple things going on.

This rifle is a Christensen arms ridge line 300 wsm I have sent it back twice and sent case both times and was told that heavy lift and marks from the ejector was normal on some rifles

Seeing that you have federal brass, I'm going to assume you are shooting federal factory ammo. I've seen a lot of their ammo do that. Not quite as bad as yours though. I live about 30 miles from federal's Anoka, MN plant and know several people that work there, so naturally a lot of people shoot federal ammo in my area. I pick up a lot of range brass for loading in factory rifles from local ranges. With all the federal brass I see that often. I would try some different ammo before you get worried about anything else, if you haven't already tried other ammo.

I have tried three factory brands and six different reloads and all comes out the same hard lift and ejector marks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts