Is this normal quality of kimber

Relief cut for the front action screw
This, all of mine have that relief cut as well. The relief cut in mine are all smoother that that photo. Might just be photo quality. When I rebarrel my latest one I am going to try and do a little cleaner pass. I sure it is necessary as there isn't a lot of meat up there for a screw to bite into.

I called kimber and they told me that all there rifles have this flaw
It looks like the jagged edge of the bottom relief-cut of the tread-tenon: this is done to make the extra bit of room where the front receiver-screw treads through the action! It looks to me like they cut it a smidgen too deep and also neglected to rework the burred edges any longer!

My gunsmith just pulled the barrels from my 2 Mountain ascents to polish the chambers, feed ramps and get them feeding like on bearings; they were both .280AI. I just emailed him if he noticed this and if so what was the point. I'll leave out the expletives,
"It is a very desirable addition to any factory firearms saves a lot of grief with binding guard screws. Yes both of yours have them .
Also xp100 rems
And a lot of 788s"

It looks like the jagged edge of the bottom relief-cut of the tread-tenon: this is done to make the extra bit of room where the front receiver-screw treads through the action! It looks to me like they cut it a smidgen too deep and also neglected to rework the burred edges any longer!
Unfortunately it is one of their actions design-faults: the before mentioned, combined with the extractor-cut and the front recoil-lug recess-cut all reduce the available treaded surface area & all three cuts are severely weakening the brl's abillety to provide a consistent 360 degrees lock-up pressure on the action face! Nevertheless it is still safe to shoot as I've never heard of any blow-ups! No doubt in my 58 yrs old mind of gunmaking experiences: this is one of the reasons that Kimbers and to a lesser degree the Win 70 & the MRC will never display real fine benchrest accuracy and the very reason being why the old M98 is still the 'King of the castle' in the controlled round-feed department!

Unfortunately it is one of their actions design-faults: the before mentioned, combined with the extractor-cut and the front recoil-lug recess-cut all reduce the available treaded surface area & all three cuts are severely weakening the brl's abillety to provide a consistent 360 degrees lock-up pressure on the action face! Nevertheless it is still safe to shoot as I've never heard of any blow-ups! No doubt in my 58 yrs old mind of gunmaking experiences: this is one of the reasons that Kimbers and to a lesser degree the Win 70 & the MRC will never display real fine benchrest accuracy and the very reason being why the old M98 is still the 'King of the castle' in the controlled round-feed department!
On the other hand: it is a small sacrifice to pay for a lot of weight-savings!

My friend had to send his 300 mag back to Kimber. The brass coming out had a BIG scratch line going down the side, and the bolt closed hard. I love their pistols that I own, and a 82C rimfire from Clackamas, but I have not been impressed much with the rifles yet. imho

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.