Is This Excessive Pressure??

Ingwe

I would appreciate hearing your comments on these pic's.

Fired from a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 78.0gr of RL33 pushing a 175gr Nosler Accubond LR at 2,922fps.

I am seeing some cratering on the primer but it doesn't look flattened-out and hasn't spread out. I don't see any marks on the case either.

What do you guys think...does it look safe or excessive?

The second pic (lighter-shiny brass) is loaded with 79.0gr of RL33. The cratering is a bit more pronounced but not by much.

The extra grain of powder is only giving me an extra 13fps so I would go with the 78.0gr if you guys think it's OK.

Whatdaya Think?;)

Attachments

• IMG_5823.jpg
    IMG_5823.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_5821.PNG
    IMG_5821.PNG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,445
First pic, edges of primer are still rounded, no imprinting of bolt face machining, maybe just a over sized firing pin hole. Second one looks like your pushing things a bit! What's a factory load look like?

Did you work up too those 2 loads?

I did okie. I looked at the brass again and at 77.5 there is no hint of a crater, and as you see at 78.0 there is a bit of a crater

I'm getting 2,890 at 77.5

You're probably fine, simply based on the appearance of those primers. MV seems in the ballpark also, correct?

The Hornady brass is a handicap, IMO. But I've had it with Hornady brass, so I'd buy brass from another manufacturer.

My thoughts too was that I am ok but I wanted to check with you guys here first

Yes about Hornady! I have a bunch of Norma that I will use once I'm ready

When you change brass manufacturers, need to work the load up again. Internal brass dimensions and neck tension will vary, therefore, so does pressure.

Can also occur with different manufacturing dates of the same manufacturer brass.

That second pic is so much lighter — especially the primer which looks silver vs gold— it almost makes it appear as it's a different brand. Stupid ? I'm sure, but is it in fact the same primer in both cartridges?

That second pic is so much lighter — especially the primer which looks silver vs gold— it almost makes it appear as it's a different brand. Stupid ? I'm sure, but is it in fact the same primer in both cartridges?

Yes, same case and primer too.....just different lighting

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.