Is this an asinine thought regarding bullet weight?I do understand

It's certainly not typical for short light bullets to tolerate jump better than heavier ones, that's kinda weird. Only way I see that being the reason might be a case neck concentricity issue - but that's based purely on hypothetical reasoning, no experience to base this on. What twist? If the rifle has excessive freebore/a long throat, flat base bullets are in general less sensitive to jump (and everything else regarding internal ballistics) than boat tails. The comments about light barrels whipping harder with heavy loads are certainly apt and worth exploring. Finally, this may seem obvious, it could just be that the rifle doesnt like the particular heavyweight bullets you fed it for reasons other than weight. Have you observed this affinity for 165s and aversion for 180+ with a variety of projectiles of each weight?

This is very good information.
I'll add that some guns/barrel combinations will like a bullet by ABC company but not from XYZ company for some reason.
My rifle is a perfect example of this.
It LOVES the SGK with BT but absolutely HATES the Hornady equivalent in the 180 grain offering.
I mean it goes from a veritable tack driver to not being able to hit a barn, from INSIDE that barn!
Go figure. It might be the result of different bullet jacket construction, the way the lead core is anchored from one brand to the next or who knows what else.
All I know for sure is that experimentation is the order of the day when finding that Goldilocks equation for determining what works best in your gun.
And as I've mentioned before, the journey is all part of the enjoyment of the sport and experience. Well, that and being able to eat the results of finding the perfect combination and drawing out on a game animal.
Good Luck in your quest.

Now that's funny. From inside the barn yet? Never heard that one before, I'll have to start using that line.

My old savage 99 243 is kind of like that. Loves Speer btsp bullets (visibly non concentric noses and all) and is just so-so with hornady equivalent, and quite poor with Sierra. It loves the federal 85 grain trophy copper factory ammo. I could not make 85 grain Barnes tsx shoot well. Also, super wierd to me...I know changing any component can change point of impact but I was floored: the 85 grain Barnes hand load, doing the same muzzle v as the 85 factory copper ammo, had a point of impact over 6 inches away from the factory ammo poi. And as much off to the side as vertical.

Now that's funny. From inside the barn yet? Never heard that one before, I'll have to start using that line.

My old savage 99 243 is kind of like that. Loves Speer btsp bullets (visibly non concentric noses and all) and is just so-so with hornady equivalent, and quite poor with Sierra. It loves the federal 85 grain trophy copper factory ammo. I could not make 85 grain Barnes tsx shoot well. Also, super wierd to me...I know changing any component can change point of impact but I was floored: the 85 grain Barnes hand load, doing the same muzzle v as the 85 factory copper ammo, had a point of impact over 6 inches away from the factory ammo poi. And as much off to the side as vertical.

Honestly, I'm kidding about the inside the barn a analogy, but it didn't seem too far off track at the time. But, IMHO going from 3/8" 5-shot group to OVER 2" was certainly cause for concern. At least to me.
I've seen where there is at least one outfit that will sell much smaller lots of bullets in various makes and weights so folks can try them and learn if they show potential of need to steer clear of them.
I always thought that was a grand idea since those who have reloaded for any length of time can tell you that buying a 100 count box of any quality bullet can get expensive when, after 20 or so rounds are loaded during the course of working up an accurate combo, only to find out they dont work worth a hoot.
Sure, you can use the rest to give to fellow shooters for their experimentation but that gets expensive over time. And if THEY won't reciprocate and exchange generosity, WTH enrich THEM, Right? LOL
So some entrepreneur with sufficient financial wherewithal would be doing reloaders a service to offer a wide variety for that reason.
Just my $0.02 on the topic.

I tried 190 matchkings, 180 sst's with powder ladders in imr 4831, rl22, and rl25 , switched to 168 matckings and 165 speers and the cut the groups in half with minimal powder ladders, the barrel is a 1/10 twist with a heavy sporter contour. I'll givd the hammers s shot
This is not enough to signify that it doesn't like 180-190 bullets only that it doesn't like those bullets IMO.
The 215 is a popular bullet, I also like the 208eldm

I too have been doing pretty well the same load development as the op. But with my 7 mm08 . It shoots 125 Nosler bt under 1/2 " at 100 but anything else opens up to 1 1/2" with 3 different powders . As said previously all firearms are different in what they want just like females!
My son has the same gun I do and his will shoot any buller we've shot through it so far under 3/4". Which is good , but mine just wants the noslers

My bone stock Remington 700 7mm RM action/barrel (vintage 1982) only likes a 168 Berger Vld hunting bullet at 2850 FPS, .090 off the lands. It's a 1:9.25 twist. It was sold to me because of inaccuracy problems. They were right. It's the only load I found in my early days of reloading that worked. Never bothered with further development. This one load is very accurate, but am bored with it. May try rechambering to 7-300 WM or until I simply rebarrel this one as it has unknown round count. It's a backup gun right now.

I too have been doing pretty well the same load development as the op. But with my 7 mm08 . It shoots 125 Nosler bt under 1/2 " at 100 but anything else opens up to 1 1/2" with 3 different powders . As said previously all firearms are different in what they want just like females!
My son has the same gun I do and his will shoot any buller we've shot through it so far under 3/4". Which is good , but mine just wants the noslers

Perfect example of the saying: "If it ain't Broke, Dont 'Fix' it."

Great replies gang, yes i have checked the twist rate and it come's in at 10.25", i guess i would try one other brand of 180 or 190's but all o my other rifles would shoot either sierra ,hornady or speer. As far as having many bullets laying around that i wouldn't be able to use, not a problem as i have an 06' that will shoot anything. This rifle actually is a brit rifle, sporterized in europe. So not likely an 06' rechambered, as the barrel is long and heavy without any other markings other than an import mark. I think im going to try the 212 eld-x's and the accubonds' in the 200 grain range. I was tickled to see a reply here regarding the same type action and cartridge with similar tastes, hesvy and light, not medium weight. That was what i needed to know. As far as thin barrels, i have a 7-08 mountain rifle that is a pencil and shoots all weights fantastic for two rounds, then it gets hot. I do get the whole premise on "it's all part of the fun of reloading" but just don't have the time right now to shoot every bullet in .308 to find that it likes none heavier than 165. So thanx again everybody, i will return after i shoot the long boys in this girl.

Perfect example of the saying: "If it ain't Broke, Dont 'Fix' it."

Wasn't necessarily trying to fix it was just trying bullets in a new gun and lo and behold the first load I tried was a keeper. As far as accuracy went . Was actually trying to get a touch over 3000 FPS with that accuracy. Just can't quite get there very close just not quite

I tried 190 matchkings, 180 sst's with powder ladders in imr 4831, rl22, and rl25 , switched to 168 matckings and 165 speers and the cut the groups in half with minimal powder ladders, the barrel is a 1/10 twist with a heavy sporter contour. I'll givd the hammers s shot

Many times free bore is your friend so try the heav bullets seated to the same length as the light ones. As others have said barrel harmonics can have a major part in accuracy also.

Not every rifle will like the bullets seated close to the lands, so you have to experiment.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I purchased a Sporterized Brit P17 (BSA) many years ago in 270 Win. I got it very cheap because it wouldn't shoot well but I thought I could fix it. I tried every trick I knew and many loads. The best I got was inch and a half groups with a 150 grain Norma bullet. Finally I knew it must be the barrel so I slugged it and it measured two thou over size. When I talked to a couple old time gunsmiths later I found that two thou was a bit much but a thou was not unusual for some rifles made during that era. I re-barrelled it to 30-06 and it was fine afterward.

I halear ya, thoug
I purchased a Sporterized Brit P17 (BSA) many years ago in 270 Win. I got it very cheap because it wouldn't shoot well but I thought I could fix it. I tried every trick I knew and many loads. The best I got was inch and a half groups with a 150 grain Norma bullet. Finally I knew it must be the barrel so I slugged it and it measured two thou over size. When I talked to a couple old time gunsmiths later I found that two thou was a bit much but a thou was not unusual for some rifles made during that era. I re-barrelled it to 30-06 and it was fine afterward.
Thought this may be a 303 barel but doenst appear to be

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.