Is this a sign of bullet separation?

Doozy

Friend was sighting in his 30-06 (incidentally, take a look at the three shot group he had in the bottom left!).

He was trying three types of factory ammo, shooting from a factory, lower-mid cost rifle... No crazy twist rate. But the most expensive rounds (Hornady 30-06 ELD-X) had something that looked like splattering around the holes and the accuracy wasn't good. Note that Hornady superformance (which should be traveling faster) did not have this signature.

20210604_123220.jpg

Friend was sighting in his 30-06 (incidentally, take a look at the three shot group he had in the bottom left!).

He was trying three types of factory ammo, shooting from a factory, lower-mid cost rifle... No crazy twist rate. But the most expensive rounds (Hornady 30-06 ELD-X) had something that looked like splattering around the holes and the accuracy wasn't good. Note that Hornady superformance (which should be traveling faster) did not have this signature.

View attachment 280361
What was the back stop looks like holes in paper coming out not going through. David

The backing was an old baking dish. And I think you're on to something... Many of the shreds didn't even puncture through but looked as though gasses or fragments shot laterally. Does that sound plausible?

The backing was an old baking dish. And I think you're on to something... Many of the shreds didn't even puncture through but looked as though gasses or fragments shot laterally. Does that sound plausible?
The bullet was definitely through the paper before the other holes appeared so not from bullet blowing up till after passing through paper. David

It's the combination of your paper target laying loosely on top of the backstop along with whatever the backstop material is. I'm guessing the backstop material is some sort of thin metal.

I doubt you would have hit the target if it was 25yds away. Usually just a big puff of smoke kinda like an old black powder rifle.