Is this a good deal for a Mcmillan 50?

SeniorSendero

I have a chance to pick one of these up from a guy who is somewhat local to me. What do you guys think of this email response to my inquiry?

Ronnie, I still have it. I'll send you some pics at lunch, or canbring it down and do some blasting if you want. I'm up in Bad Axe, so not too far away.

It's a 1 1/2yr old McMillan, RH repeater action, Lilja stainless barrel, K&P brake, 8-32 NSX Nightforce in Badger rings, McMillan Big Mac stock in their green/black swirley pattern. Less then 100 rounds thru it. Only 1 load tried, 215gr H50BMG and 750gr Hornady A-Maxes. Shoots sub m.o.a. 32# as she sits. Just no room to shoot around here.
120 IMI brass, Hornady dies, would have to count what's left for bullets, primers, etc., but should be enough for another 100 rounds or so.
>
>
>$4400 for the gun, dies, brass,less scope.
>$5500 for the gun, scope, dies, brass .

I'll count all the reloading stuff up if you want. I started off with 150 IMI cases, but gave a few away to guys for their collections, so there maybe more then 120. There is 1 full 8# jug of H50BMG powder and about 1/2 of another. should be 3-400 CCI primers. 3-4 boxes of A-Maxes. If you need a RCBS press, I have that too.

End of email....Well?

Well, here is what it would run to have that rifle built:

Action: $2400
Barrel: Around $400
Stock: $450 to $500
Brake: $200
Rings/bases: $250-$300
Scope: $1500

Thats over $5000 just in componants without paying to have it put together.

If you ordered that rifle from McMillan it would run $5000 to $5200 +shipping. So it is a pretty good price depending on who built the rifle.

The part that would concern me is the comment about shooting sub MOA. That isn't much ro write home about if its close to 1 moa in group size.

McMillan lists their rifles will hold 1/2 moa.

I would shoot the thing first and make sure it was built correctly, if it was not, you will be paying for a very large, expensive rifle with average accuracy.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.