Is there any such thing as affordable sheep hunting?

82ndreddevil

I am wanting to try some type of sheep hunting in the next couple of years. Here in NM there is probably a total of 10 Bighorn Ram tags available for the draw, so I am not considering that a real opportunity. We also have Persian Ibex, which is a once in a lifetime draw if you can get the tag. They also have a year round tag you can buy, but it means you cant hunt in the areas they are at. So is there anywhere a person can go to hunt these types of exotics without paying a year's salary or hunting them within a caged area outside of their own enviroment?

Affordable is probably a relative term but yes there are ways around spending a medium fortune to hunt sheep. Start buying preference points in other states. It is very inexpensive and in 10 or so years you will be able to hunt a nice sheep. Awesome sheep areas may take a bit longer to draw. My recommendation is to put away $500+ a year every time you buy a sheep point. Then you will either have expense money for the trip or a healthy chunk for a guided hunt. Happy sheep hunting :)

well i sheep hunt every year but i have never shot one yet. i have never actually seen a legal ram yet because i hunt in a full curl zone and i have been in school so i haven't been able to go out on the long backpack trips i would have liked. but this year im done so i will be scouting and hunting hard and with a little luck i might get one this year.

Also if you kill a ram you are required to wait a year before you can hunt another, some guys will shoot a barley legal ram every other year, but nobody likes those kinda guys cause they wreck the genetics and population for everyone else.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.