Is there any benefit to the WSM over regular belted mags?

Mysticplayer

If you have followed the press on this same topic, it has pretty much covered the difference s.

The short magnums are new, they fit in a short action, performance is the same as the longer cousin, they are new, rifles can be a little lighter, they are new, etc.

If you want something new, go for it. Is there any real advantage, nope. But new is fun and exciting. My 30Gibbs gives very similar performance and it is old and the complete opposite of the WSM. Very accurate too. My 300Wby is just a bit faster.

For shooting across a beanfield (inside 600yds), there will be no difference between any of the moderately large magnums. Build the one that suits your fancy and work up with accurate reliable hunting bullets. The actual performance is within 100fps for those cases you have mentioned.

Build the one that best suits the action you own. They can all be made equally accurate...

Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I can always count on your reply.

How much less barrel life would a 300wthby have than say a WSM? I know there is about 150-200fps difference, but when you go the 200fps difference from the 300wthby to the 300RUM, the erosion occurs much faster. So what is the break-even point? I guess a 300wthby is much friendlier to a barrel than the RUM?

Some rules of thumb that do not always work.

Rules of thumb: less powder equals less erosion. Longer neck equals less erosion. Stainless steel - less erosion. Fewer shots in a row - less erosion. Stick powder - less erosion (ha, look below for exception). Slower/cooler powders - less erosion.

Throw in chamber design and dimensions and you can see that any rule of thumb is pretty vague.

My 300Wby has almost 1000rds through it and it will keep 1/2 MOA or better. Can't account for throat wear because it has no throat. Came with the Weatherby freebore so was "worn out" before I took a shot. I would like to say that it is good for another 1000 rds, maybe more.

Between the WSM and the WBY, I would go with the WSM for longer barrel life. However, because the WSM comes with a short throat, careful monitoring of the load is going to be necessary to keep the accuracy up. I would expect 20 to 30% better life with the WSM.

The RUM is brand new to me so have no opinion yet. I think DC and others have burned alot of powder through theirs and have not reported any problems. However, they are using a highly graphited ball powder which is reducing throat erosion. This is compared to 50 BMG which is supposed to be a real throat burner (see, rule of thumb that doesn't apply). For my RUM, I would like to say 1500rds for 1/2 MOA or better performance.

At the end of the day, build whatever you like and can afford. Enjoy the process and rebarrel when your latest toy becomes old and boring. How's that for noncommital?

Jerry

I keep hearing the short magnum produces less recoil.I don't know for myself but I have heard it from a 1000 yard benchrest competitor who uses the 300wsm and I have heard it from a local backwoodsy hunter type who also has a 300wsm.Both very knowledgable guys in their own environments.

I see very little difference in the balistics of the WSM, and SAUM, when compared to their Long Action counterparts. Does anyone here have any experinces or reasoning One would buils a short mag rifle over the long action magnums (300wsm vs 300win) Or would I be better served by building a tight neck 300wthby for long range crop damage and target work?

Thanks

Also, how many rounds have any of the RUM owners/members gotten before throat erosion was significant?

I currently have the 300wsm after going up from a 300 weatherby. Like they all said, big difference is two things in my opinion. the wsm fits short action, and the 300 weatherby is a 150-200fps faster and capable of handling the heavy 240 gr bullets easier. If you are building a a true LR hunting gun, then I like the tight neck 300 weatherby over the 300 wsm. The 300 wsm seems to perorm best with 180-210 weight bullets. That is where it shines! Would be great 'carry" 300-1000 yd hunting rifle.

Take your pick, order your reamer and go for it.

Good luck.

BH

Well, my purpose for the rifle, (other than fun) is to shoot crop damage permits all summer, and learn more about long range shooting so that I might try my hand at 1000yd competition. I had a big desire for the ultra mag, figuring it had all the power I needed for everything. But I am wondering if the deer at say 700-800yds would know the difference between the wthby, wsm, or RUM.

Thanks guys.

It depends on your needs. I don't own 30 calibers but do know this. From a pure accuracy standpoint, there is an advantage in a shorter case. It has been proven over the past 50 years of bench rest shooting. Certainly long cases can be very accurate and win matches. No one will argue that. Day in and day out though, the shorter powder column with it's more consistant ignition will be inherently more accurate. For hunting purposes, the wsm's have a modest powder capacity compred to the big boys. This extra capacity is nice when you want to launch heavy, high bc bullets at top velocities. That's my take on it anyhow.

So if I were to want to launch 220-240gr bullets, the wthby, or better yet, the RUM might be a better choice?

Justin

What is the shoulder angle? Who made the dies and reamers? I heard somewhere that Lapua is making(coming up with) a factory chambering 30/338 Lapua. Is that true? Sounds really nice for a switch barrel if you already have a 338 Lapua. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.