Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

hmmm.....never having looked through a S&B but instead a NF I can say that for the $ the NF gives you alot. For the price point I dont see any other scope maker that offers the same or more really. My one beef about the NF is the heavier weight and the blueish somehwhat hazy resolution at max power. For $1800+ I'd expect it to at least give me better resolution at max power. That would always be something sticking in the back of my mind if I had one. Other than that I think they are rock solid any way you cut it. As far as S&B, well they're S&B you cant really go wrong unless you still needed to pay your property taxes after buying one. :D

Last edited:
Yeah i do, peel it off mudrunners rear window.
Funny how you seem to know that I have a Barska scope, since I definitely do not, nor have I ever owned one. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you can no longer continue the scope conversation, so you move onto cheap personal insults, based on zero knowledge of the other person.........Gotta love supporters. This site used to not be filled up by them, now it seems awefully cliqueish over my hiatus I took from the site.

Wow, it just hit me how retarded this is....

I'm done. Yall 2 idiots have fun arguing someone elses personal experiences that you weren't there for. I'm over this.

I'm not trying to pull anyone off of anything. If you want a S&B, go buy it, they're great scopes. I'm stating what I've seen. But for you to tell me there is no possible way for ANY S&B scope to EVER be flawed is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Now, if you want to continue this stupid ****ing contest that you decided to initiate, go do it by yourself.

I don't own a Barska. I have some cheap scopes, and I have some high-end scopes. 3 of which are German glass.

I'm no fan boy nor am I under any illusion that S&B is perfect. I just happen to have seen first hand how they test a scope before it leaves and there is no possibility of a scope with poor optics escaping the line.

If it makes you feel any better I have sent 3 S&B scopes back for warranty repairs for mechanical problems. 1 springy rattle sound (inside the scope), 1 smashed front element, and 1 turret that stopped tracking properly.

It doesn't make me feel any better, b/c I wasn't trying to say they were bad, b/c I KNOW they are great scopes. I was just saying that the last ones I looked through were cloudy around the edges, which I found to be odd...Yet somehow it blew up into this 4 page bullsh*t arguement b/c people thought I was badmouthing them...

I'm glad you understood X-man.

Now, maybe this stupid thread can get underway... LOL

I am no fan boy, i just have used most of the stuff out there. Nightforce makes a good optic at that price point,, the question was is there a difference between nightforce and schmidt and bender and yes there absolutely is a difference. I am merely projecting my opinion ha ing used both in a match environment, not picking one up and looking through it in a store. I have three PMII rifle scopes, one sits on my coyote rifle a 22x47 lapua, one sits on my .284 win precision rifle, and one sits on my accuracy international AIAW .260 rem comp gun.

Hey, if you can't admit that your favorite brand of glass is capable of having flaws, then by all means continue to live in your little bubble. But in the real world, things break and things have imperfections....Including Schmidt & Bender scopes. So, if I were you, I'd realize what I was talking about before entering into a coversation with someone in your condescending tone. What i have and have not done in my life is 100% unknown to you. You don't know me, you don't have the slightest clue who I am. So, how can you be so condescending in your judgements, b/c someone else stated the opposite of what you think.

If you have S&B scopes, go for it. I'm not spending $4K on a **** scope, that a $2K scope will do just as good a job as.

But I don't hate on people who do, that would be purely ignorant for me to do such a thing. :rolleyes:

I don't own a NF or an S&B, so whether you think I'm trying to pull someone away from S&B (if that's what you might think), then that's pretty sad. I'm just stating what I have seen and done in my life. If you can't handle or accept that, then go live your own instead of doubting mine.

I own neither, either and I'm not about to spend 4 grand on any scope. I have other priorities in life.

S&B IMO, is a status symbol, like wearing a Rolex or driving a Bugatti. Sure you'd love to have one, if, you had the disposable income, most don't. I will say I have a Rolex but it's used. Can't afford or don't want to pay 15 grand for a watch. Even a non working watch is right twice a day....lol

This my sope is better than your scope or my rifle is better than your rifle crap is actually amusing. Even the least inexpensive rifle or scope is actually better thaan 90% of the owners who own them.

Kind of reminds me of the clown who buys a 20 grand diesel utility tractor to mow his 1/2 acre with. Pure ego, nothing else.

I own neither, either and I'm not about to spend 4 grand on any scope. I have other priorities in life.

S&B IMO, is a status symbol, like wearing a Rolex or driving a Bugatti. Sure you'd love to have one, if, you had the disposable income, most don't. I will say I have a Rolex but it's used. Can't afford or don't want to pay 15 grand for a watch. Even a non working watch is right twice a day....lol

This my sope is better than your scope or my rifle is better than your rifle crap is actually amusing. Even the least inexpensive rifle or scope is actually better thaan 90% of the owners who own them.

Kind of reminds me of the clown who buys a 20 grand diesel utility tractor to mow his 1/2 acre with. Pure ego, nothing else.
Yep, gotta agree Flip. The pecker-measuring contest is stupid. It's a status thing, and I could care less about being in that elite S&B club. But if you do, good for you, and I'm not gonna put down your choice of optic. But b/c I don't own one, don't try to tell me I shoot Barskas, and make me out to be a clown.

I've shot behind S&B scopes. NF, Swaro, Zeiss, Kahles, Leica, you name it......But the only ones I own are Zeiss and Kahles b/c I can't personally afford to be the elite 5% that drops $3,800+ on a rifle scope. Do I hate on those who do? Nope. So don't hate on those who don't.

So, can we get back to discussion, and quit screwing this guy's thread up.....

"So, can we get back to discussion, and quit screwing this guy's thread up....."

Absolutely, far as I'm concerned. Of course I can't make a valued contribution because I haven't looked through a S&B to compare it to a NF. In fact, I don't know of anyone who owns one or if they can be purchased around these parts over the counter.

People around here are struggling to survive, let alone spending big bucks on high end optics.

Come to think about it, never seen a Bugatti close up and personal either.......:)

"So, can we get back to discussion, and quit screwing this guy's thread up....."

Absolutely, far as I'm concerned. Of course I can't make a valued contribution because I haven't looked through a S&B to compare it to a NF. In fact, I don't know of anyone who owns one or if they can be purchased around these parts over the counter.

People around here are struggling to survive, let alone spending big bucks on high end optics.

Come to think about it, never seen a Bugatti close up and personal either.......:)
LOL The local store has some behind the glass counter, along with NF, Swaro, and every other brand known to mankind. LOL

We take them outside and look through them all the time to compare. But I have shot rifles with them on them at the range before. None of which belonged to me (which is depressing).

People around here are struggling, too. Including me. My rifle build is just stuck in my head and can't move forward until I sell something else to get the money to build it.

I agree to an extent with the above statement, i wouldnt spend that kind of money either for a scope that sit in the safe 99% of its life. If you cant afford one or or dont shoot enough to justify owning one thats one thing, but dont label it if you have never owned one. Ps i dont even own a watch.

Life is all about compromise and trade-off's which is why I'll never possess a S&B, USO, March or NF either.

Too many quality optics out there in retail land. Besides, some manufacturers have insane markup's. Leupold comes to mind instantly.

What really soured me on Leupold was the LEO/Military program. You (Leupold) offer a LEO/Military discount approaching 50% off retail on some optics. That tells me that retail is way out of perspective because Leupold is still making a profit. **** on 'em.

Not to be construed as a slam or a derogatory comment against military or LEO's, but a statement as to the actual worth of Leupold products versus the asking, over the counter pricing.

I'm done with them and I have numerous Leupy optics, all good, I might add.

Another stupid priced optic company is Trijicon. Their LR optics are lacking in adjustment and features but the asking price is high. Trijicon (A Michigan based company BTW), is a big government supplier in weapons sighting systems as well as stand alone optics, but, don't expect me or the retail buying public (informed) to pay government prices. I earn my money, the government uses my tax dollars with a careless attitude, besides, Bernacke can print what he wants, I don't have that option.

I'm on the side........:)

Yes, they are expensive..Have you priced out the Mark 8?
Check this out. I think post #11 or so.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sighting-my-new-schmidt-bender-scope-112182/index2.html

I get the same service from Vortex, I actually returned a scope with issues, got a newer one and a couple hats and a discount coupon to boot, plus a phone call from them asking me if I was satisified with the service. For thousands less.

My hunting partner returned a Nikon Camo Muzzleloader scope because the ocular mag ring was very hard to rotate and got a new one in a week.

All manufacturers with the exception of the very cheapest offer a no questions asked, lifetime, transferable warranty, thats the industry standard. Good for the consumer I might add.

Nothing unique to S&B. For the price of the S&B, I'd want a scantily clad redhead of just barely legal age, dressed in skimpy attire to personally deliver my optic and mount it, excuse me, mount the scope, not me.......:D

Couple years back I ruined a turret on my Leupold LR Benchrest Fine duplex. It was entirely my fault and Leupold replaced not only the turret but the entire elevation mechanism, resealed the scope and sent it back and they paid the ship cost and sent me an extra knob to boot and that was before everyone offering the no frills money back guarantees.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts