Is There a Better Cartridge Than 308 WIN?

Quote from bitchin rides "If Your Car Ain't Turning You On, Get Another One". Well I have 3 308. An M70, an FAL and an AR10. I like all three, but "they don't turn me on". I don't get excited as if I am going to go shoot my 338LM, or my 300 WBY or even my 30.06. Heck I have more fun with the AR57, 5.7x28 rifle.
Lapua,, yes. Bee, NO.

Slip a rum into the mix and a sticker pecks up.

Everything below 3500 fps is utility to me.
After 3500 fun stuff starts happening.

BFD, I stayed outa this as long as I could. But after a few spirited glasses, my reservations diminished.

@jessej, I can get more than 3500 fps out of the 300 Bee with the right bullet. In fact I did it long ago out of my 24" 300 Bee

@jessej, I can get more than 3500 fps out of the 300 Bee with the right bullet. In fact I did it long ago out of my 24" 300 Bee
Yea yea. But why deal with those shoulders and lack of brass options when a RUM is just one step away.
There's only one correct answer to that question. You started playing the game before Rum hit the field.

I've not tried it yet. But I feel confident that we can surpass utility in the 308.
Good brass in combination with the correct projo(decreased bearing surface) and I do speculate that a usable 3500 could be reached. What say ye?

If my calculations are correct impact velocity was 2950-3000fps….🤘👌 😜
Wow.. With the 215 Bergers I am only getting 2840 at the muzzle with my 28 inch Krieger in 30-06 with 59.5 grains of N560. Same velocity with 54 grains of RL17. Had confirmed drops from 300 to 1200. 9.6 mils at 1200. Of course this is just shooting center chest on steel plates eSilhouette, and cold bore headshots at 600. I am still getting used to the 215s in the wind.

Impressive if you can run the 215 close to 3K. All four of my 300WMs precision node runs around 3025. And I am happy with that. 30 Nosler around 3150.

Have fun...

Yea yea. But why deal with those shoulders and lack of brass options when a RUM is just one step away.
There's only one correct answer to that question. You started playing the game before Rum hit the field.
Lack of brass options? I have 4-5 brands of brass at home. Hornady, Remington, Weatherby, Norma, Nosler
Shoulders? What's the problem? People hear people say that, but nobody has ever explained to me what the problem is.

Are you snowed in on Conus? bored out of your skull to think up this stuff to start a poop storm! I knew I'd like you l
Rosebud! Dear Sir, I know better than to BS a BSer, so I tell you with the utmost honesty, that my question was not disingenuous. I have a problem where sometimes I come upon the notion that I know everything there is, only to be humbled on a great many occasion, and usually by rudimentary evidence, that I still have much to learn!

It also appears, and with the famous line uttered by Doc Holiday played by Val Kilmner in the movie, "Tombstone" that "My hypocrisy knows no bounds" as upon reflection of my above correspondence, I see that I was indeed attempting to BS a BSer! 😆

I'm in a rather terrible predicament at the moment deciding how to proceed on my next build which I think calls for a 20-22" barrel. I thought by default the 308 Winchestershire, but I am a newer fan of the 7mm-08. So much so I am a 7mm-08 AI reamer on order. There is a 4 month wait for that reamer, however.

I came to like the 7-08 due to a few aspects, but a big one was the fact the brass can be easily converted for it from 308 Winchestershire brass. It was mentioned in the thread the 358 Winchestershire, and I discovered the same brass formation ability with that cartridge! This spark of thought was well worth the sacrifice of my reputation to ask such a simple question about 20" barrels and the 308 Winchestershire!

Good day, Sir Rosebud.

Lack of brass options? I have 4-5 brands of brass at home. Hornady, Remington, Weatherby, Norma, Nosler
Shoulders? What's the problem? People hear people say that, but nobody has ever explained to me what the problem is.

Hey! I've gotta have some kinda excuse for not owning one!

I do often wonder how the curvy shoulders would handle over pressure compared to a normal shoulder

Hey! I've gotta have some kinda excuse for not owning one!

I do often wonder how the curvy shoulders would handle over pressure compared to a normal shoulder
Good question, but Roy Weatherby tested his to 100K and rated them to 65K. At least that's what I read. I know I far exceeded 65K in one of mine, once it cooled down and open the bolt, it was fine.

Fired from a 20" barrel? For general distance use? Anything more efficient.

300WSM?
And to answer your question. It's hard to beat.
308 winny. 40 somethin grains of powder will propel a 150 accubond a tad over 3000 fps. (16")

300 rum. 100 grains of powder propels the same projo 3800 fps. (26")

Talk about diminishing returns.

And to answer your question. It's hard to beat.
308 winny. 40 somethin grains of powder will propel a 150 accubond a tad over 3000 fps. (16")

300 rum. 100 grains of powder propels the same projo 3800 fps. (26")

Talk about diminishing returns.
Shooting light bullets in a 300 RUM is a waste. Right now the wind is blowing 15-20 mph here. I just took a shot with one of my RUMs (not my most accurate rifle). Shoots 200 ABs at 3150. I held 3 MOA on my 620 yard gong and missed left (wind was from my right) by about 1 MOA (I video every shot). Even though it would be a faster, a 150 gr bullet would have drifted even more.

About 15 min later I took out my .338 Edge (300 Bergers at 2880). I held 2.5 MOA for wind and hit my 3" square in the middle of the 10x12 gong.

That said, on my annual hunt in MN I always use a short barreled .308 - I certainly am not going to shoot a deer there past 200 yards (last November the range was about 70, and that is longer than 90% of my shots there).

Recent Posts