Is there a $1,000 difference between the SIG Kilo 2200 and 2400?

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
I received an email this morning from Glen asking that question. Here's how I answered him.

You can get the same ballistic solution using the KILO 2200 and a Kestrel Elite weather meter. You'd pay $500 for the KILO 2200 and $700 for the Bluetooth version of the Kestrel Elite. You don't necessarily need the Bluetooth so you could save $100 and go with the non-Bluetooth version.

The KILO 2400 ranges a little bit better than the 2200 but the big difference for me is that I can carry a single piece of equipment, push one button and get the same extremely accurate ballistic solution immediately. With the other system I have to hand enter some info into the Kestrel. As a hunter where stuff often happens fast, the single button is definitely worth the extra $300-$400 for me. Plus the KILO 2400 is nice and small.

Last edited:
Re: Is their a $1,000 difference between the SIG Kilo 2200 and 2400?

No there is not, They are both good at ranging But when you consider that you can do the same with the ConX as the 2400 and it's a lot cheaper, for hunting you don't need to range critters at 3000 yards I have zapped domestic sheep at 1300 yards so why would a person need to range them any further, The 2400 is great at ranging things beyond subsonic ranges but that has very limited use in the real world.

John.

mildot,

The CONX/Kestrel Elite combo is another good option and it sells for $1150. I agree that we don't often have a use for the max range the KILO 2400 will give us but I always feel extra confident at the ranges we do care about because it is just so strong. I feel the same way about using it in imperfect conditions like fog, rain, snow, bright sunlight. It just seems to be better at all that stuff.

And again, for me it is worth the extra $350 to pull the KILO 2400 out of my pocket and just push one button for an immediate solution. And also to only have to manage one piece of equipment, batteries, etc.

I don't have any personal experience with the CONX/Kestrel so I emailed Nick Vitalbo who partnered with Applied Ballistics on developing the KILO 2400 and the Kestrel Elite. I asked him, Does the CONX/Kestrel end up being a 1 button solution out in the field or do you have to push any extra buttons or enter any extra data to get the same solution the KILO 2400 gives with 1 button?

Nick said, You'd have to set up the Kestrel to connect, make sure the Bluetooth is up and running, connected, and the connection is good... so there's some maintenance of the connection and such. Once you have the Kestrel up and running, connected via Bluetooth, and the connection is stable, then you can lase and get a solution.

It's not like when you take the Kilo out of your pocket and lase the target and get a solution. You'd have to fiddle with the Kestrel first for the CONX.

My viewpoint is similar to yours Andy. The major advantage for LRH with the contained RF's like the 2400 or G7 is the simplicity and speed of getting an accurate dope, more so then the maximum ranging distance capability. IMO, the extra extra $$ spent has proven to have been one of my best investments in LRH equipment.

mildot,

The CONX/Kestrel Elite combo is another good option and it sells for $1150. I agree that we don't often have a use for the max range the KILO 2400 will give us but I always feel extra confident at the ranges we do care about because it is just so strong. I feel the same way about using it in imperfect conditions like fog, rain, snow, bright sunlight. It just seems to be better at all that stuff.

And again, for me it is worth the extra $350 to pull the KILO 2400 out of my pocket and just push one button for an immediate solution. And also to only have to manage one piece of equipment, batteries, etc.

I don't have any personal experience with the CONX/Kestrel so I emailed Nick Vitalbo who partnered with Applied Ballistics on developing the KILO 2400 and the Kestrel Elite. I asked him, Does the CONX/Kestrel end up being a 1 button solution out in the field or do you have to push any extra buttons or enter any extra data to get the same solution the KILO 2400 gives with 1 button?

Nick said, You'd have to set up the Kestrel to connect, make sure the Bluetooth is up and running, connected, and the connection is good... so there's some maintenance of the connection and such. Once you have the Kestrel up and running, connected via Bluetooth, and the connection is stable, then you can lase and get a solution.

It's not like when you take the Kilo out of your pocket and lase the target and get a solution. You'd have to fiddle with the Kestrel first for the CONX.

G'day Andy.

They Both have their merits, I see they are selling the ConX Combo for $850.00 now.

There are a few little Tricks that the ConX has that are not in the manual and the only thing you have to mess with is the wind when not bluetoothed to the Kestrel, The ConX has about 16 Modes and around 7 options of how you can use it,

The ConX App it very cool because once that data is loaded you can forget about setting it up and press the button and you get the come ups in less than a second as a stand alone unit or if you have a spotter working with you he can see the data via a phone,, The ConX works the same way, Once the data is loaded in to the Kestrel the ConX automatically connects to the Kestrel and it is the same with the ConX App, where the moment you hit the Lase/Power button the ConX connects to the kestrel or your Phone or your Tablet, it is a "One Touch" System. Once you have loaded the profile in to the ConX/Phone you do not need the phone ever again.

A while back you posted about your 7mm bullet data in one of your posts So I kidnapped the load data and put it in to an App, Then I loaded the data in to the ConX App and it automatically sent it to the ConX, Once that was done I hit save and Now My ConX is loaded with your 7mm Bullet Data and that is there until I replace it with another profile, The Accuracy of the come ups is within 0.01 to 0.03 Mils at any distance,

From a Hunting perspective the ConX is ultra fast with the Data being visible in less than half a second where it is a case of Click / Bang.

When I loaded your Data in to the ConX App and Saved it and then lased a target, I laughed and said out loud "This Can't be Legal" LOL,

The 2400 is a beautiful thing but for what it does it is a tad too expensive for those who have to live on the average budget, And now the ConX has had a price drop that's a saving of over $700.00 between the two, And the success that novices have had using the ConX has opened up a whole new world to Shooters/Hunters who have never shot past 3 or 400 yards, A new user took their ConX to a comp and they were ringing 5" steel @500 yards and 36" steel at 1200 yards and at all distances in between and never missed a shot.

I have used mine in heavy Rain and in heavy Fog type mirage and still got readings on black stone walls at 1485 and on trees at over 1380, and in heavy rain I even zapped the 1/4" Tip of a CB Ariel at 226.6 yards and I also got the same reading in bright sunlight.

The 16 modes/choices and 7 options of how you can use it means there is something in there for everyone. If my tablet App dies then I can use the kestrel, If the Kestrel dies I can use the Apps, If they don't work then I can use one of the pre sets, If they don't work then I can use the Custom loaded Data and I can mix and match any one of the above or just use the ConX as an LRF and do it old school, the only limits/options are the ones that I create,

I don't know what else people want from a PLRF but the only thing the ConX does not do is rack the Bolt and Squeeze the Trigger,

The 2400 has incredible ranging abilities but most folks already own one of the Kestrel AB's old or new (4700/5700)s and most likely they use Apps anyway So the 2200 combined with the above is an Awesome set up, and if a person is using Apps then the Kestrel 5500 BT would be the best all round option while maintaining a realistic budget by getting the 2200 and the Kestrel 5500 BT,

I did months of research which is why I bought the one I have because I wanted unlimited options so no matter what happened my options over lapped, Where the ranging abilities are more than acceptable while maintaining a high level of safety, because some shooters will try to shoot well beyond the safety range of their rifle if they own an LRF that can go that far, And another thing is that about 85/95% of people don't realize just how far 1 Mile actually is or possess the skills to make such a shot.

Hope that helps,

John.

Last edited:
Is there a good read on how the ConX is programmed with load data? Do you manually enter the drop data of your load or do you program bullet BC, twist rates, muzzle velocity, etc...? Thanks

I run Applied Ballistics app on my smartphone. It AUTOMATICALLY pulls in all the necessary atmospheric conditions and altitude from the closest weather reporting station through GPS satellites. Generally speaking, this is all you need since wind at long distances in varying terrain is problematic, i.e. where you are standing with a wind meter is pretty much only going to give you where you are standing and not at the target or anywhere in between. I use a Leica 1600. It shows barometer and temperature for software that doesn't pull in the satellite data. In my opinion, there is very little advantage in long range shooting to buying an uber expensive rangefinder when you can do the same thing for one half the price. I've used AB in South Africa and it pulled in the atmospheric conditions and altitude from the GPS satellites and crunched the ballistic numbers enough to make many long range shots.

As an aside, the only thing the Kestrel gives you over AB on a smartphone is wind where you are standing.

Is there a good read on how the ConX is programmed with load data? Do you manually enter the drop data of your load or do you program bullet BC, twist rates, muzzle velocity, etc...? Thanks

G'day and sorry to jump in,,,

If you down load the ConX App and pair the ConX to your phone or Tablet, tap the App and select Gun 1 2 or 3, In the App they are Called Custom 1, 2 or 3, Sellect the bullet and then the box opens up, type in your Zero and then add the drop IE at 200 yards and then like I did at 400 and then at 800 etc,,, Next to each distance which you choose you add the Bullet drop in the Box to the right of that range, the factory settings are Zero = 100 then 200 and 300 and 400 and 500 and 600 BUT you can change them to 100 Zero 200 400 800 1100 and say 1500, You Pick the distances and add your Bullets Drop and then click save,

If you enter a distance that is beyond what that Bullet is good for then it will tell you so take off 200 yards and try it if it works then add 50 yards and if that works just keep going until you have reached the maximum, The manual says that it works to a 1000 yards but that is not right because it works in line with either the BC or the Drop factor,

If the Green light changes colour on the screen just hit the range button on the ConX and it will link up again, and when your done hit SAVE and then it is loaded in to the ConX and you will not need the App/Phone again. there are no barrel Twists or FPS or scope heights etc etc to add that is all you have to do, Just Type in the distance and the drop at each range of your choice and save it when all boxes are filled. That's It, nothing else is needed.

Hope that helps,

John.

QUOTE=mildot1960;1320351]G'day and sorry to jump in,,,

If you down load the ConX App and pair the ConX to your phone or Tablet, tap the App and select Gun 1 2 or 3, In the App they are Called Custom 1, 2 or 3, Sellect the bullet and then the box opens up, type in your Zero and then add the drop IE at 200 yards and then like I did at 400 and then at 800 etc,,, Next to each distance which you choose you add the Bullet drop in the Box to the right of that range, the factory settings are Zero = 100 then 200 and 300 and 400 and 500 and 600 BUT you can change them to 100 Zero 200 400 800 1100 and say 1500, You Pick the distances and add your Bullets Drop and then click save,

If you enter a distance that is beyond what that Bullet is good for then it will tell you so take off 200 yards and try it if it works then add 50 yards and if that works just keep going until you have reached the maximum, The manual says that it works to a 1000 yards but that is not right because it works in line with either the BC or the Drop factor,

If the Green light changes colour on the screen just hit the range button on the ConX and it will link up again, and when your done hit SAVE and then it is loaded in to the ConX and you will not need the App/Phone again. there are no barrel Twists or FPS or scope heights etc etc to add that is all you have to do, Just Type in the distance and the drop at each range of your choice and save it when all boxes are filled. That's It, nothing else is needed.

Hope that helps,

John.[/QUOTE]

So I assume you get your drop data using some type of ballistic software and then transfer it over to the ConX? I saw that they post some predetermined drop tables by bullet mfg on the bushnell/ConX tab but for a hand loader but those are not very accurate to what your load may be.

So I assume you get your drop data using some type of ballistic software and then transfer it over to the ConX? I saw that they post some predetermined drop tables by bullet mfg on the bushnell/ConX tab but for a hand loader but those are not very accurate to what your load may be.

These pre sets can be quite accurate pending which Letter group a person picks for the correct range, But I am talking about True Ballistic Data, You can either shoot and get the correct Drops or get the Data from your most trusted source from either data sheets or your best App set up, As long as you have access to such data and know it to be correct then that is all you need.

John.

John,

I use a Magnetospeed and a ballistics program to get my starting points and then verify the data on a 500 meter range. I have always transferred the drop data to my Turret on my rigs and have had great success doing this but I am tired of replacing my home made medical tape wrap on the Turret. I recently started using my ballistic app when in the field and have found it to be more user friendly then it has been in the past. I like the idea of having a one touch solution but in my case most of my hunting is done in similar environmental conditions so I am not sure if I can justify the additional expense. If I was in a position of an extreme environmental condition change I could always use my ballistic app and make an adjustment to it and come up with a new solution. Maybe just the ConX rangefinder will work for me but for know I am going to take and wait, read, and research approach before I drop 1000-1500$ on a new gadget. I really want one but with the speed These things are changing I will hold off. Not to mention the price reductions. I've already seen the Kilo 2400 being sold for $1099. Thanks for the info!

John,

I use a Magnetospeed and a ballistics program to get my starting points and then verify the data on a 500 meter range. I have always transferred the drop data to my Turret on my rigs and have had great success doing this but I am tired of replacing my home made medical tape wrap on the Turret. I recently started using my ballistic app when in the field and have found it to be more user friendly then it has been in the past. I like the idea of having a one touch solution but in my case most of my hunting is done in similar environmental conditions so I am not sure if I can justify the additional expense. If I was in a position of an extreme environmental condition change I could always use my ballistic app and make an adjustment to it and come up with a new solution. Maybe just the ConX rangefinder will work for me but for know I am going to take and wait, read, and research approach before I drop 1000-1500$ on a new gadget. I really want one but with the speed These things are changing I will hold off. Not to mention the price reductions. I've already seen the Kilo 2400 being sold for $1099. Thanks for the info!

I totally understand because I went through the same things, But the set up the ConX has could be down right dangerous in the wrong hands it is that good to the point that I think that they should be ITAR listed if you know what I mean,

Anyway I hope all that helps, it's a fair bit to take in but it really is that simple to set up.

Take Care and Good luck.

John.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.