Is the STW right for me?

Thanks guys! Now for my tax return!
How are these clamp on muzzle breaks? Would this be a budget way to go until I buy a custom barrel?
I've been using Barnes in my other rifles for probably five years.
The new Nosler LR Accudonds should be good too!

The new lr accubonds look awesome!

I agree with the guy above about elr hunting. I don't elk hint only whitetail so 1000 yds and beyond I don't feel comfortable with. No matter what I'm doing non steel and paper right now. I'm not bashing, I just don't feel I have the goods for that. Elk is different story with much larger vitals. The stw can and will getbthw job done but a 338 rum or lapua would be my go to rounds probably. I know the stwxcan do it but I want the most I can get if going that route.

Good luck!

I use BulletDrop+ for the iPhone. It has drops out to 2000 yards and you can choose between 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 yard increments. And you can choose between inches, Mils, and MOA.

It's pretty handy, especially if you have scopes that are MOA and Mil-Dot reticles.

Thanks guys! Now for my tax return!
How are these clamp on muzzle breaks? Would this be a budget way to go until I buy a custom barrel?
I've been using Barnes in my other rifles for probably five years.
The new Nosler LR Accudonds should be good too!
I would not be comfortable with the clamp on muzzle brakes on an LR rifle, especially a magnum.

For one thing you are going to have, if extremely minute, some change in the shape of the bore right at the critical point where the crown meets the lans and grooves by applying an uneven amount of force to the outer diameter of the barrel that could at least theoretically affect accuracy.

The other problem is that if not installed exactly correctly they do have a tendency to fly off.

I'd save my money and just get a Snowy Mountan Rifles Muzzle brake and get it installed when you can afford it.

I am a fan of radial brakes...Like the Vais brakes. Especially when you get the smith to sand them down to match your barrel's contour. They look really sharp on there, as if it was made into the barrel.

The STW will get the job done on Elk. I just got back from Montana where I took a nice 6 x 6 with my Weatherby Mark V STW. I got him with 150 grain Barnes TSX with 78.4 grains of RL 25. Only 150 yard shot. If I had it to do again I would use 168 gr bullet at minimum, probably 175 gr. and shoot him through the shoulder instead of just behind it. He only went less than 100 yds but didn't bleed externally at all.

Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW
Steiner Predator 3x12x56
Winchester Model 70 7 MM STW Classic Stainless
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50

The STW will get the job done on Elk. I just got back from Montana where I took a nice 6 x 6 with my Weatherby Mark V STW. I got him with 150 grain Barnes TSX with 78.4 grains of RL 25. Only 150 yard shot. If I had it to do again I would use 168 gr bullet at minimum, probably 175 gr. and shoot him through the shoulder instead of just behind it. He only went less than 100 yds but didn't bleed externally at all.

Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW
Steiner Predator 3x12x56
Winchester Model 70 7 MM STW Classic Stainless
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50

Well now that you got yours mind telling the local where his friends are??? hahah!
I was looking at the 168's. I'm running 150's in my 308 however I'm not shooting much beyond 300 with that rifle.

Can't wait for tax season!!! :D:D Hopefully part of the two grand I pay out of my paychecks a month will come back to me!

Well now that you got yours mind telling the local where his friends are??? hahah!
I was looking at the 168's. I'm running 150's in my 308 however I'm not shooting much beyond 300 with that rifle.

Can't wait for tax season!!! :D:D Hopefully part of the two grand I pay out of my paychecks a month will come back to me!
.308 Win, I'd use 168gr minimum...Just my opinion. I've shot deer from 100 to around 500 or so (don't own a rangefinder) with a .308 Win using 168's with no issues. Now that I have developed a Berger 210 VLD load for my .308 Win, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer out to 850 yards. Within 500 yards it would be like running up and smacking them with a pointed sledgehammer...

.308 Win, I'd use 168gr minimum...Just my opinion. I've shot deer from 100 to around 500 or so (don't own a rangefinder) with a .308 Win using 168's with no issues. Now that I have developed a Berger 210 VLD load for my .308 Win, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer out to 850 yards. Within 500 yards it would be like running up and smacking them with a pointed sledgehammer...

A 210 from a 308 has to be just above turtle velocity right?
I'm not worried about actually shooting an elk. My elk hunting is like the shows looking for bigfoot. I can find evidence they are out there but can never actually kill one!
Been hunting elk since I was 14 and I'm 26 now and I've never even had one in my sights.

A 210 from a 308 has to be just above turtle velocity right?
I'm not worried about actually shooting an elk. My elk hunting is like the shows looking for bigfoot. I can find evidence they are out there but can never actually kill one!
Been hunting elk since I was 14 and I'm 26 now and I've never even had one in my sights.
Actually, out of my 24" 5R 11.25 twist barrel, they are moving right around 2,400 fps MV, and 2,686 ft lbs of ME.... And at 850 yards it still retains 1,425 fps and 947 ft lbs of energy...It sure ain't gonna bounce off them when it hits. It's gonna pop out the other side if you hit them in the vitals, and sink deep in the heart if you shoulder shoot one.

Not quite as slow and wimpy as one would think. :cool:

Actually, out of my 24" 5R 11.25 twist barrel, they are moving right around 2,400 fps MV, and 2,686 ft lbs of ME.... And at 850 yards it still retains 1,425 fps and 947 ft lbs of energy...It sure ain't gonna bounce off them when it hits. It's gonna pop out the other side if you hit them in the vitals, and sink deep in the heart if you shoulder shoot one.

Not quite as slow and wimpy as one would think. :cool:

Oh ok thats not bad at all really!

Oh ok thats not bad at all really!
I have found over the many years of owning .308's that they are a very impressive round. I thought 168's and 175's were the end-all be-all bullet for the .308 Win, till I started handloading and got the bright idea to load some 210 Bergers in my Lapua brass. It blew me away, and my shooting buddy was looking through the spotting scope while I was shooting and kept asking which target I was shooting, because with an old crappy Simmons spotting scope it looked like I hit the bullseye once, then missed the rest...But I could see in my scope where I was shooting, and it was drilling them in 1 ragged hole. It really loves them.

Now, don't get me wrong, I keep 100rd boxes full of handloads in the 168 & 175 gr bullets because they are my normal shooters that I take to the range because I can buy those bullets cheap, but I also keep a 100 box of 210 VLD's loaded up, just incase I'm feeling froggy... :D

Now if I can just find a range that goes to 1K, I'll be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.