Is the Love Affair Over? (300BO)

Remember: we are talking early 1990's - the birth of the 300 Whisper. Some special forces guys were complaining to JD over dinner about having to "double tap" bad guys with their MP5's in order to put them down decisively. JD's answer was the 300 Whisper on an AR platform. One subsonic replacing another subsonic. Any supersonic capabilities of the 300 Whisper was just icing on the cake - but not its primary mission. Although the diameter of the 30 cal. bullet (.308) is smaller than the 9mm bullet (.355), its increased weight allows it to deliver more punch:

147 gr. @ 1,050 fps = 360 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle
230 gr. @ 1,050 fps = 563 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle

That is a substantial increase. leaves the 9mm in the dust.
An ice pick with 563 ft/lbs is still an ice pick

Never owned one. But just looking at current factory rifle offerings and online articles . Doesn't seem like a lot of buzz over it anymore. But I guess you could say that about a lot calibers?

Never owned one. But just looking at current factory rifle offerings and online articles . Doesn't seem like a lot of buzz over it anymore. But I guess you could say that about a lot calibers?

yep, i think the 6.8 western is the new 6.5 creed. hornady, winchester and remington are all there to make a profit. americans always want the newest next best thing. it's just the way it is. next thing you know, they'll be necking down 50 cal cases to .17 cal so they can finally achieve that six figure muzzle velocity.

next thing you know, they'll be necking down 50 cal cases to .17 cal
Hasn't that already been done?

I still see a lot of talk about the BO, and a lot of components trading back and forth. The grendel is a good round, and would be my choice over a 300 BO just for what I use it for.

Hello good people, hope y'all are well. But I can see the 300 blackout isn't talked about a lot but this day and time I don't talk about several things, and I will stand up to the basic I don't shoot suppressed only because when I got to the point of buying Mr Biden was getting to close and didn't want to be caught with my money sitting in limbo. But again I have two, a ruger bolt American 16.25 barrel and a A R and both are awsome also have c v a pistol. I shoot a 125 grain Sierra pro hunter. Bad news on hogs one shot granddaughter kicked butt with a neck shot. Sorry could keep going on. Thanks

If you want to kill a bad guy without disturbing the Force at 200 meters, a 220 gr VLD, subsonic, supressed is a fine choice.

Or a coyote at night near houses.

im ready to try the Berger 245s and hornady 250 atips in my 6 twist BO.

also, the 110 Barnes loaded hot in a BO bolt Gun May be the best youth (5-9 year olds) deer cartridge on the market. Shortish barrel and muffler = no recoil, no need for hearing protection. My experience has been shorter trail jobs and much higher recovery rates after poor shots by kids.

IMHO the 300BO shines in an SBR application with either sub or supers. In a 16" barrel you don't gain much with supers and nothing is gained with subs. So if you are looking for a SBR and plan on a QCB/military/law enforcement or other short range uses, the 300BO is tough to beat. Other than that or just plain fun there are better choices. 6.5, 6.8, 350, the 357 MAX AR is really a good one but a reloaded only option. Offerings from POF USA are the cats meow. 308 rifles on TRUE AR15 size and weight platforms, really tough to beat.

I ended up with a BO, I'm big fan of the 6.5 Grendel. But my personal go to AR hunting rifle is a 7.62x39. 90% of my hunting is around 100 yards. That AR also has a ATN scope on it for night work on pigs.

I have a SBR 6.5 Grendel (huge mistake) that has been impossible to suppress. The loss of velocity and the noise has been a huge disappointment. Should have never went below a 16" barrel.

We recently bought a house where I have enough land to hunt deer and hogs. So the BO will be seeing some time in the woods this year. It is a 16" barrel AR, but is so quiet suppressed, it makes you chuckle a little every time you shoot it. My sub and super loads are hard to tell apart with any suppressor you screw on it. I've had it a couple years, but still feel like it's new to me.

I never shot game with it but that will change this fall!

Built a 8.5" SBR in 300 about 5 years ago. I take it out during are deer season as a short carry gun. With the can it's not the lightest but with the T1 it's a good combo. Have plenty others that will do it better but it's fun to take something new out. This buck didn't seem to like the 300BO with a 125amax. One shot flop. But,,,,,, this was at 10 yards. Rut crazed buck walked right up to me with nose to ground following doe.
I'm just starting a Grendel build now as well. Not to replace anything or to do something that hasn't already been done. Just another AR that gives more options.

2604716B-805B-4CF1-B8EB-50DC0BFC4E37.jpeg

I have both the 300 B/O and the 6.5 Gren. I am disappointed in the 6.5 Gren. I should have ordered the 6MM ARC barrel. I think it's better and has more uses. the 300 B/O is a great in house/close quarters cartridge and it is accurate from 0 to 250 yards. I am not sure why the 6.5 gren does so well in the other places but here it's the second or third most used coyote and dog round here. the only ones more popular are the 223/5.56 and the 221 fireball.
I like the 300 blackout, I should have held out for the 6mm ARC
Help me understand your statement. What set up in the G were you using?

I ended up with a BO, I'm big fan of the 6.5 Grendel. But my personal go to AR hunting rifle is a 7.62x39. 90% of my hunting is around 100 yards. That AR also has a ATN scope on it for night work on pigs.

I have a SBR 6.5 Grendel (huge mistake) that has been impossible to suppress. The loss of velocity and the noise has been a huge disappointment. Should have never went below a 16" barrel.

We recently bought a house where I have enough land to hunt deer and hogs. So the BO will be seeing some time in the woods this year. It is a 16" barrel AR, but is so quiet suppressed, it makes you chuckle a little every time you shoot it. My sub and super loads are hard to tell apart with any suppressor you screw on it. I've had it a couple years, but still feel like it's new to me.

I never shot game with it but that will change this fall!
Your sub and super loads shouldn't be hard to tell apart. Mine have a dramatic difference

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.