Is the Leica bench standard

Majja13

I have saved almost enough for my Leica 1600B range finder. IT has been a while coming and I have not done to much reading about range finders in a while. Is this still the best range finder for us mere mortals, I mean it has been a long hard road saving up 800.00 to get this, but I only want to do it once. It will be used for some nice target shooting buy mostly on critters, like elk, deer and P-dogs.

Any and all opinions welcome
Thank You
Matt

As far as yards per dollar

In my opinion, yes

I will say, this applies to all range finders, i can hit a steel plate and get a reading much further than i can an animal.

I've had the 1600b for a couple of weeks. Here is what I found in my research before I bought it:

THE GOOD:
It is about as accurate as you will find for under $1k
It will range targets at greater distances than most other rangefinders under $1k
It will give you the target angle, barometric pressure, and temperature that you can enter in your ballistics program in the field.

The Not So Good:
The rangefinder will not give the True Horizontal Range. The Equivalent Horizontal Range that it calculates is based on the angle AND the atmospheric conditions.

From my research I still feel it is the best range finder for medium/long range hunting/shooting that I could afford.

I have had mine for three years now, I did a lot of research and even talked my son-in-law into buying one first so I could try it out. I have ranged pronghorns to over 1100 in bright sun across the Wyoming prairie and in low evening light I have ranged rocks as far as 1995 yards. I simply cannot afford a Vectronix so the Leica is my first choice. I suspect you will like it very much.

A previous poster stated that it would not give a true horizontal range, I don't know why it won't if you and your target are on the same plane. If you are not on the same plane to begin with and are shooting up or down hill true horizontal range is meaningless anyway IMHO.

Bob

A previous poster stated that it would not give a true horizontal range, I don't know why it won't if you and your target are on the same plane. If you are not on the same plane to begin with and are shooting up or down hill true horizontal range is meaningless anyway IMHO.

Bob

Care to elaborate on that?

The true horizontal range has absolutely everything to do with shooting up hill and down hill!

The leica does not do the cosine for you. At least mine doesnt.

I think nimrod means its not important because most shooters do the math with a calculator or ballistic app.

If you use a ballistic app that ask (actual) distance and shot angle, the horizontal distance wont do you any good.

I have the Leica 1600 and am very pleased with it.

I'm not sure about your question "Is the Leica bench standard?" but IMHO, it's pretty darn excellent RF to benchmark from. lightbulb

The Not So Good:
The rangefinder will not give the True Horizontal Range. The Equivalent Horizontal Range that it calculates is based on the angle AND the atmospheric conditions.

From my research I still feel it is the best range finder for medium/long range hunting/shooting that I could afford.

I've been using the Leica 1600 for several years. Can't justify, at the moment, additional cost of a Vectronix.

In hunting situations it has never let me down.

When I'm serious at near ELR ranges I arrive late in the afternoon to begin the range chart and continue before sunrise.

I don't have the "B" model which I feel is an advantage as with Shooter all I want is range, baro and shooting angle. The dope/hold over portion of the thing isn't useful.

I've been using the Leica 1600 for several years. Can't justify, at the moment, additional cost of a Vectronix.

In hunting situations it has never let me down.

When I'm serious at near ELR ranges I arrive late in the afternoon to begin the range chart and continue before sunrise.

I don't have the "B" model which I feel is an advantage as with Shooter all I want is range, baro and shooting angle. The dope/hold over portion of the thing isn't useful.

Always good to have a backup plan written down, get them when you can.

What I mean by bench standard was the one most judge against.

Benchmark ...

Definition of benchmark: Standard, or a set of standards, used as a point of reference for evaluating performance or level of quality.
I'm not sure about your question "Is the Leica bench standard?" but IMHO, it's pretty darn excellent RF to benchmark from. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.